Charging for Powerlevelling to level 50

Queen Nefertiti

2 minutes ago, seebs said:

That's not the same thing as "too hard". I was soloing stuff on an ill/something. I had confuse. Solo, so no bosses. I could not lose. The upper bound on enemies attacking me was that a single enemy could attack me for the recharge time of confuse -- if I missed, I could just do nothing until it came up, and then streakbreaker would force a hit. So, guaranteed win. That can't possibly be "too hard". But it is not particularly *exciting*.

I'm not calling out anyone as a bad player who can't beat a hellion in a straight up battle.  Everyone on this forum can punk AVs left handed with their eyes closed.

I am saying that if you need a PL, or want one, I don't see a reason other that "It's too hard for me to level my character."  Let me rephrase:  "It's too much effort (sigh) for me to level my character."  That's fine!  Up to you.  I just don't get it.  It just seems to me a way to do the same exact content through Ouro only with incarnate abilities so it becomes even easier.  

Who run Bartertown?

2 minutes ago, Noyjitat said:

Money/inf is cut by 50% per person that joins your ae farm. So maybe thats why you see more people charging for farms now. 

I dont recall this on live maybe its part of the homecoming ae nerfs? 

Sorta true. Base rewards were slashed in half by the HC team. But anyone going to get PLed is going to grab the 100% XP booster which still functions in AE at the original values.

So if a boss gives 50000 XP normally, a player benefiting from the XP booster will get 75000 XP for that boss while in said AE mission.

It's still faster to farm AE than to PL in say, DA, just due to the number of enemies present per run and the complete lack of wasted travel time.

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

The more I think about it, the only reasons that I see for power leveling are PvP or because the regular content is too hard.

This iteration of CoH appeared out of nowhere, and could just as easily disappear before I finish typing this post.  That, coupled with the fact that this time around I have a family and commitments to keep, and it seems prudent to ME that I maximize the ROI of any time I spend logged in. 

For ME, that means chunking out 50s and refining their build until they do exactly what I set out to do with them.  For other people, that might mean doing all the arcs all the time or badging a main, or nailing that costume, or whatever it is people do.

Bottom line, my belief is that we should all spend our in-game time doing what WE enjoy doing, on the very real chance that this could all wink out of existence the breath after next.

ETA: so I guess if that means paying someone else inf to PL your toon, so be it, even though I personally find the idea kind of gross.

Edited by roleki
  • Like 6

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

Newish player here, so take that how you see fit.

Personally, I go by the live and let live. If person A wants to pay person B for a power level, I'd say that's between them. It doesnt really affect my personal gameplay or enjoyment. Have I been power leveled? Sure, I've tagged along with friends on AE's and Radio missions. I'm not usually much help if I am lower level, so I try to make it entertaining at least with jokes or commentary, or even roleplay. Have I paid a stranger for a power level? No, and I really don't think I would. 

Based on my limited experience with the game, this seems very much a "story of the journey" sort of game. I only have 2 50's who are properly slotted out, and there seems to be a lack of endgame content. After you hit 50, grind out your incarnates, and get your enchancements, whats after that? Far as I know its badge hunting or playing missions for completition. I am sure theres more content than that, but I haven't gotten to try it yet.

Anyway, just as a new player, if people want to speed to the end, I say let them. If others want to take their time and whatnot, thats fine too. I don't think theres a "wrong" way to play, and I think thats a big part of why the game is still active and has such a decidated community after all this time. The freedom to do as you like, play what you like, explore as you like, and play with whom you like. Take that away and well, I personally think the game would loose much of its shine.

Just my two cents as a newish player!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Water said:

I always was and remain adverse to PL'ing for the sole reason of the absolute enjoyment I got the first time I played the game by playing the content, back when it was a challenge. I would hate to PL another player and have them miss out on that. 3 months to get from 1 to level 50 and it was worth every dying moment in my solo journey. CoH is better in teams though! (just sayin..)

One of the great comedic moments I've seen is a level 50 player asking for directions to The Hollows.

If a player wants to experience a maxed out character for no effort then use the BETA server for a few minutes. It's a good place to test out your concept characters and radical builds.

On the other hand, if a player has already played through the content on many classes they may not want to face another 'Hmm, week or so..' to play through content again to reach a level where they are contributing to a team in a meaningful way.

This rendition of our game gives many ways to reach the top and none of them are taxing, if you enjoy the game as a game, what with the all the methods of extra XP/INF/price caps etc. And the main thing is it gives the player the choice. The thing I find of value over putting 'zero effort' in as a new player are the relationships you will inevitably build in this game as you journey through it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TIP for Homecoming:-

TM an "I WIN" button for $10

This outlook, IMO, is predicated on a false assumption - that everyone enjoys things in the same way.

Views on what is or is not fun content, the complete and total lack of desire to build any relationships in game by people like me, are easy examples of why the things one person finds fun are a chore-bore to others. 

It's this constant stream of condescending, passive-aggressive 'play the game the right way' message from the busy-bodies that creates the biggest stink in this 'community', IMO.

But, what do I know?

I am just a cranky old hippie-geek that thinks games should be fun and not yet another way in which one human can boss around another and call it leadership or 'helping'...

• Like 4

I wonder how much power leveling being done is due to the uncertainty of the future existence of this incarnation of the game.  All of those characters people intended to make, all of those beautiful dreams they wanted to bring to life...  I don't doubt that the majority of it is simply impatience or entitlement, but there have to be more than a few who are frantic to make the things they wanted to make years ago, and anxious over the possibility of this iteration of the game being killed, too.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

4 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

The more I think about it, the only reasons that I see for power leveling are PvP or because the regular content is too hard.

You need to think more.

I've joined "PLing" teams with a new character (level 4ish+ as I can get to 4 very quick), especially a re-rolled one, to get to the mid-20s when then I can start equipping level 25+ enhancements. I've done the content a bunch and sometimes I want to get to where the character has several enhanced powers to operate with.   I've never went from 1 to 50 via PLing. I stop playing most characters at 50 anyway (incarnate content is not that special).

And I would never ever pay for it.  That concept is just absurd.

Edited by gamingglen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShardWarrior said:

You do realize how absurdly easy it is to quickly out level and therefore never be sent to the Hollows, right?

Ugh. I've long ago had enough of the Hollows.  I've only been there once since HC started and that was for my badger to get the explore badges and tag the historical plaques.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neiska said:

I only have 2 50's who are properly slotted out

This is nothing against you, but one of my pet peeves activated on this sentence contrary to what the screaming hordes say there is no such thing as properly slotted out.  the fact so many people identically select powers and slot enh actually misses one of the most rewarding parts of the game, unexpected side effects of your powers can make for some pretty awesome moments, it's one of the reasons I keep burning through respecs, fiddling with different power combos to see what happens when I mix this with that!

No MMO ever has an endless endgame, I've never understood the mad rush to cap, endgame in EVERY MMO is a grind, and really can't ever be anything else, but each to their own!

• Like 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

21 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

This is nothing against you, but one of my pet peeves activated on this sentence contrary to what the screaming hordes say there is no such thing as properly slotted out. 

- what i meant by this is that they are in no way the "top most kiss elbow bestest most enhanced that's mathematically possible", what i meant was that they are 50, they have the enhancements that i personally want for them, and thus i consider them "finished". Could they be better? Sure! But as me their creator I am satisfied with where they are at and what I have done with them, and have moved onto new characters.

Sorry for not being clear, like i said, new player. 

1 hour ago, gamingglen said:

You need to think more.

I've joined "PLing" teams with a new character (level 4ish+ as I can get to 4 very quick), especially a re-rolled one, to get to the mid-20s when then I can start equipping level 25+ enhancements. I've done the content a bunch and sometimes I want to get to where the character has several enhanced powers to operate with.   I've never went from 1 to 50 via PLing. I stop playing most characters at 50 anyway (incarnate content is not that special).

And I would never ever pay for it.  That concept is just absurd.

I think you just reinforced my point.  If you are joining "PLing" teams, you are doing so either because you find it "too [xyz]" to level normally, or because you just enjoy the experience of zerging.  That's cool, and it's your choice.  I don't understand why people would make that choice.

I'm not saying that everyone HAS to play content at normal speeds.  I AM saying that I do not understand anyone's contention that "I choose to skip intermediate content because I would prefer to level to 50, then go back and experience said content through Ouro, preferably with T4 incarnates"  I surmise that people do it because it's a lot easier, for example, to fight Atta with T4 incarnates, than without but I don't know!

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

5 minutes ago, Neiska said:

- what i meant by this is that they are in no way the "top most kiss elbow bestest most enhanced that's mathematically possible", what i meant was that they are 50, they have the enhancements that i personally want for them, and thus i consider them "finished". Could they be better? Sure! But as me their creator I am satisfied with where they are at and what I have done with them, and have moved onto new characters.

Sorry for not being clear, like i said, new player. 

Honestly I wasn't reacting to you at all, and what you say here you've done is exactly what I think is the best way of doing it, it's just the way you said it pushed one of my buttons 😄 though I'd never dream of telling you or anyone else how to play, I tend to jump on something that sounds like "this is the only way to play" which isn't what you were doing, so I hope you don't feel I jumped on you, I actually play my 50's the same way you do.

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

I think you just reinforced my point.  If you are joining "PLing" teams, you are doing so either because you find it "too [xyz]" to level normally, or because you just enjoy the experience of zerging.  That's cool, and it's your choice.  I don't understand why people would make that choice.

I'm not saying that everyone HAS to play content at normal speeds.  I AM saying that I do not understand anyone's contention that "I choose to skip intermediate content because I would prefer to level to 50, then go back and experience said content through Ouro, preferably with T4 incarnates"  I surmise that people do it because it's a lot easier, for example, to fight Atta with T4 incarnates, than without but I don't know!

You didn't get it at all.  

1 hour ago, boggo2300 said:

This is nothing against you, but one of my pet peeves activated on this sentence contrary to what the screaming hordes say there is no such thing as properly slotted out.  the fact so many people identically select powers and slot enh actually misses one of the most rewarding parts of the game, unexpected side effects of your powers can make for some pretty awesome moments, it's one of the reasons I keep burning through respecs, fiddling with different power combos to see what happens when I mix this with that!

No MMO ever has an endless endgame, I've never understood the mad rush to cap, endgame in EVERY MMO is a grind, and really can't ever be anything else, but each to their own!

COH is pretty good on the endless endgame front, since you can play with anyone of any level. 

Endless advancement? Not so much.  But at least you can still play. 

2 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

COH is pretty good on the endless endgame front, since you can play with anyone of any level. 

Endless advancement? Not so much.  But at least you can still play. 

except the playing with anyone of any level isn't really endgame, it is actually one of COH's strengths that you aren't trapped in the endgame when you hit the level cap

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Okay, you don't get it. You've expressed that. So move on, then. Other people are allowed to enjoy different things.

To correct one misconception, though: you lose your incarnate powers and level shifts when you exemp below 45, and enhancement values scale down with large level changes as well to mimic losing slots in the powers. You can slot IOs as you're leveling up if you get them attuned, but have a limited number of slots, so really what you get out of it is further into your set bonuses in the powers that you have - if the sets will go low enough for the content. So you might be better off, depending on the sets you're using, but more often what you gain is the feeling that you're not wasting your time doing the same low level missions for the umpteenth time when there are arcs and content that you either haven't done yet or prefer to run instead.

26 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

except the playing with anyone of any level isn't really endgame, it is actually one of COH's strengths that you aren't trapped in the endgame when you hit the level cap

But in a very real way, you are.  IOs are the end game.  One of the most basic design principles shared by nearly all MMORPGs is the stat chase.  Incremental improvements keep players logging in and playing.  Other games do it with shoulder pads the size of skyscrapers and Doom Sombreros™, Co* does it with IOs.  That ability to improve your durability by 1.4%, or the damage output of a power by 3 DPA, or add a supplementary effect to a power, that's the end game.

Content has never been the end game in MMORPGs.  It can't be because players consume it at such a rapid pace, it's impossible for any development team to keep up.  And all stories end, eventually... except the one(s) you're keeping alive by playing your character(s).  The stat chase is perpetual, even when development has stopped, even when you may not be chasing stats on a particular character (you're still making alts, buying and selling at the AH, etc).

You are as trapped in that end game as anyone else in any MMORPG.  But, realistically, as end games go, Co* has the best.  The flexibility of IOs opens up so many potential avenues, permits such a vast array of concepts to work, whereas other games confine you in ways you can't begin to comprehend unless and until you've experienced what Co* has to offer.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

31 minutes ago, Luminara said:

But in a very real way, you are.  IOs are the end game.  One of the most basic design principles shared by nearly all MMORPGs is the stat chase.  Incremental improvements keep players logging in and playing.  Other games do it with shoulder pads the size of skyscrapers and Doom Sombreros™, Co* does it with IOs.  That ability to improve your durability by 1.4%, or the damage output of a power by 3 DPA, or add a supplementary effect to a power, that's the end game.

Content has never been the end game in MMORPGs.  It can't be because players consume it at such a rapid pace, it's impossible for any development team to keep up.  And all stories end, eventually... except the one(s) you're keeping alive by playing your character(s).  The stat chase is perpetual, even when development has stopped, even when you may not be chasing stats on a particular character (you're still making alts, buying and selling at the AH, etc).

You are as trapped in that end game as anyone else in any MMORPG.  But, realistically, as end games go, Co* has the best.  The flexibility of IOs opens up so many potential avenues, permits such a vast array of concepts to work, whereas other games confine you in ways you can't begin to comprehend unless and until you've experienced what Co* has to offer.

well I agree to a point, though I generally ignore IO set's slot them if I get them, rarely seek them out though, but generally once I hit 50 I consider a character finished and pretty much shelve them

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

6 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

It's this constant stream of condescending, passive-aggressive 'play the game the right way' message from the busy-bodies that creates the biggest stink in this 'community', IMO.

If I remember correctly, you have stated that you love to knock back enemies on any team you join, even if the team is not sharing your love of Knock Back because you believe that teams should adapt to your playstyle and should not be telling you how to play.

With this logic, what you are actually doing is forcing others to reroute how they play based around your playstyle. So instead of telling others how to play, you are instead forcing others to play differently because of how you want to play. I honestly don't see the difference. You don't like others asking you to play differently, yet you force others to play differently through your playstyle. It's really no different. What I am trying to say is that you are no better than those who request you to play without scattering mobs. Both parties are just as guilty.

This is why my stance (partially due to conversations that you and I have had) has changed a bit on this subject. I think everyone needs to learn to bend a bit on teams so that everyone can play well together. Everyone should adapt, not just you and not just the players who hate knock back. It should never be your way or my way, that is selfish for both parties involved. The team should evolve and instead of things being played 'my way' or 'your way' it should actually evolve and become 'our way.'

This is by no means an accurate math here, but...

50% of players hate knock back with a passion

50% of players love knock back with a passion

100% compromise should more often than not = 100% fun for both sides.

7 minutes ago, THEDarkTyger said:

WAAAAHHHH! BAN THEM! THEY'RE NOT PLAYING THE WAY I WANT THEM TO PLAYYYYY! WAHHHHHHHH!!!!

I don't see the problem with power leveling or charging for it either.

Definitely not in COH.  

The game is free.

There is no competitive end game grind

There is almost no pvp really.  

There is no real inflation in the In world economy. 

If the game had some sort of land control in-world and the powerleveling actually hindered other players?   Or runaway inflation leading to hindrances. 

At that point I could see an objection.  Maybe people so hard line on the idea come from some MMO like that and never adjusted.

5 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

You lose Incarnate abilities when you go below 45. But all those slots and some of the set bonuses remain, so it's still significantly easier.