Forum Reputation

VileTerror

This might sound a little horn-tooty, so I apologize for that upfront, but I have always been a bit curious about the amount of stock and the potential usefulness of the forum's Reputation system.  And, notably, the "Days Won" Leaderboard.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/pastleaders/?sortdirection=desc

I know that, as a metric, Reputation isn't really reliably able to measure anything other than how many times other users clicked a button.  But I do also think it provides an interesting level of insight in to social trends of the subset of the community who frequent the forums, and how they interact with one another.

Christopher Robin, for example, absolutely DOMINATES in the "Days Won" category.  From my research, that's largely from their involvement in the Multimedia board here.  Not to undermine the worth of those posts and the positive impact they apparently have on a significant number of community members, I did notice that few of those "Days Won" were for posts in General or Suggestions; two boards which I tend to frequent more often.  So, I would conclude (rightly or wrongly) that the Reputation garnered in the Art boards isn't really comparable to the Rep generated in those other boards.  Different social dynamics are at play, with different goals and expectations.

Naturally, the Homecoming Team have some great Rep too.  It's sometimes odd to me, though, when a regular user beats out a Dev on a day when a big announcement is made!  I'm curious as to what underlying trends affect that sort of thing.

I don't want to put too much stock in to something that, ultimately, isn't all that important nor meets a level of rigour to pass a burden of truth threshold.  But I do like to read between the lines and try to work my head around the sociological impacts and causes which are illuminated by systems like this.

Anybody else, or is this kinda just a "me thing?"

• Like 5

When I was posting more I would check that out a couple times a week for shits and giggles. I definitely noticed that dev scores tend to spike during announcements. Mine would be higher on days in which I was heavily involved in some of the KB and copyright and other combative threads. Not sure exactly how I feel about that, but it was something I noticed. I actually try to participate less in those threads as a result of that observation. Funny comments also tend to get a good amount of rep as well. 

So my conclusion is if someone wants to have high forum rep, be funny or argue. Or just post a lot, at least last fall the higher reps and high post count lists were extremely similar.

Edited by MunkiLord
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking at the list again, it does reaffirm that I don't think it's particularly informative on what posters give more mechanical type information. I think Bopper is a good example, their work with procs and understanding has undoubtedly helped a ton of people directly(many of us here on the forums) and others indirectly as such information gets passed on and four or five people down the line aren't aware of the various posts and data work Bopper has done. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, MTeague said:

Didn't know there was such a thing as a "Days Won" leaderboard. Have to say it's entirely irrelevant to me. 

Put me into this camp. Didn't know, do know now, still don't care.

1 hour ago, VileTerror said:

I don't want to put too much stock in to something that, ultimately, isn't all that important nor meets a level of rigour to pass a burden of truth threshold.  But I do like to read between the lines and try to work my head around the sociological impacts and causes which are illuminated by systems like this.

I...I dunno, man. This does not seem like a good place to mine for deep sociological meaning. I mean, maybe there's a doctoral thesis out there for a decade-plus old video game that died and kinda came back and has a wonky-forum structure, but I think it'd be a tough one to defend.

But I'd definitely say that I read the headline for the synopsis of the article of the tweet it was based on.

Maybe.

Okay, probably not.

Edited by Budo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

Didn't know there was such a thing as a "Days Won" leaderboard. Have to say it's entirely irrelevant to me. 

I feel the same way. Obviously. Disregard the 10 minutes I just spent clicking through a few months worth of leaderboard.

• Haha 1

I try to post when I have something relevant to say.  Sometimes folks agree with what I said.  That's pretty much it.  I tend to post mostly reactions in the "announcements" thread, and typically respond to the various topics that come up under the "general" thread.

I love this game, and there are some aspects of it that I feel pretty passionate about.  I also like to help out where I can.  I don't pretend to be an expert in any particular aspect of the game, but I have played for a long time, so I am familiar with most of it, even if I don't personally utilize all of it. 

• Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

I honestly could give two shits less about the reputation system. Too many people on forums in general hold themselves at a high level of importance, when to me they are just another poster. All a reputation system does is bolster that already extra large cranium of theirs.

I really don't give a damn who "won the day."

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I honestly could give two shits less about the reputation system. Too many people on forums in general hold themselves at a high level of importance, when to me they are just another poster. All a reputation system does is bolster that already extra large cranium of theirs.

I notice you've never won a day.

I have.

October 15th.

Won it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

47 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

But..but..but...its my DAY...MY day....don't rain on my day 😥

• Like 2

Ok so, about this whole 'winning the day' thing....

Next time MY day comes around and someone else wins it...do we, like, duel to the death or what?  I mean, I just wanna be prepared, do I need to be in fighting form or is slightly pudgy and tired okay?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EmmySky said:

But..but..but...its my DAY...MY day....don't rain on my day 😥

I would actually celebrate your day. In fact, I'll pop one open just because I've got respect for you, and I have respect for beer!

• Like 3