Forum Reputation

VileTerror

On 2/17/2020 at 10:30 PM, VileTerror said:

This might sound a little horn-tooty, so I apologize for that upfront, but I have always been a bit curious about the amount of stock and the potential usefulness of the forum's Reputation system.  And, notably, the "Days Won" Leaderboard.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/pastleaders/?sortdirection=desc

I know that, as a metric, Reputation isn't really reliably able to measure anything other than how many times other users clicked a button.  But I do also think it provides an interesting level of insight in to social trends of the subset of the community who frequent the forums, and how they interact with one another.

Christopher Robin, for example, absolutely DOMINATES in the "Days Won" category.  From my research, that's largely from their involvement in the Multimedia board here.  Not to undermine the worth of those posts and the positive impact they apparently have on a significant number of community members, I did notice that few of those "Days Won" were for posts in General or Suggestions; two boards which I tend to frequent more often.  So, I would conclude (rightly or wrongly) that the Reputation garnered in the Art boards isn't really comparable to the Rep generated in those other boards.  Different social dynamics are at play, with different goals and expectations.

Naturally, the Homecoming Team have some great Rep too.  It's sometimes odd to me, though, when a regular user beats out a Dev on a day when a big announcement is made!  I'm curious as to what underlying trends affect that sort of thing.

I don't want to put too much stock in to something that, ultimately, isn't all that important nor meets a level of rigour to pass a burden of truth threshold.  But I do like to read between the lines and try to work my head around the sociological impacts and causes which are illuminated by systems like this.

Anybody else, or is this kinda just a "me thing?"

You are heard.  And you are validated.

Edited by Yomo Kimyata
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Who run Bartertown?

48 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

I would like to point out that since I won yesterday, that means this matters for the next day. Also it confirms for me that everyone really does want to be a Scrapper. 

Everybody wants to be a Scrap,

Because a Scrap's the only AT that knows where it's at.

While playing Scraps you always has a welcome mat.

'Cos everybody digs a swinging Scrap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2020 at 9:25 PM, MunkiLord said:

So my conclusion is if someone wants to have high forum rep, be funny or argue.

You couldn't be more wrong here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

while the win the day thing was something i was unaware of and cant say i put much stock in it, as its often purely comical, or derogatory posts that tend to get the most reactions, I do tend to notice a trend were those who end up on my ignore list also often seem to have a pretty low positive rep to post ratio. I like to think my rep is what someone who tries to offer both advice, and banter while trying to mostly remain civil should be around with roughly a 50% positive rating compared to my post count. I dont expect everything i say to be liked nor agreed with but am pleasantly surprised when some of the things I do say get a few thanks and likes by posters who I tend to see as among the more socially inclined and civil sorts on among our forum community here.

I do notice though that it seems like the posts I post more under the influence of my Berk persona I RP in game seem to get more likes and more animosity then those that are purely just this gamer at his keyboard. Guess I am just not as interesting in RL:(.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MunkiLord said:

I like to throw a bunch of shit at the wall and see what sticks. I haven't literally thrown shit at the wall yet, but the day is still young. 

How can you call yourself MunkiLord if you are yet to fling your poop? I figured that would be your superpower.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm now in the precarious position of my reputation being just higher than my post count, and now I must struggle to maintain this. No-one post anything interesting that I would want to respond to until I've been given some more rep.

• Like 1

@Hissatsuman, you can mainly find me on Everlasting!

I've always been slightly out of the loop in regard to news and current events, so it was only a couple of days ago that I learned how many people have died trying to capture "selfies".

Death by train.  Death by electrocution.  Death by drowning.  Falling from great heights, self-inflicted gunshot to the head, grenade (GRENADE!)... all in the hope of winning the popularity contest which social media accounts represent (in my opinion).

I'd much rather be alive and unpopular than famous for winning a Darwin Award.

• Like 5

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.