Ill/Dark Controller Hejkp!

Herotu

I could not find an Ill/Dark thread, so here is one!

Let me lay out my perspective first. I'm not a Controller player. I don't really dig the whole standing around doing clicking anchors thing - it's not my bag. 

The recent MIRROR option for clones (on the Clones power, you can make them look like your character instead of the default look) has me looking at the Illusion powerset and I'm going Dark for ... some reason /shrug.

Anyway. I've got my Ill/Dark Controller to level 9 and I'd like advice on how I should build it. I'm completely out of my depth and am weak when it comes to builds. I have billions of inf, however, so I can do a great set of enhancements - I just don't know how to build or play - hah!

I enjoy using Deceive on enemies (I've been doing solo missions very slowly :)) and am eyeing up Superior Invisibility - so maybe this gives you an idea of the type of person I am/playstyle I might enjoy. 

Thanks for any help you might offer :)

Edited by Herotu

It's a great combo. Mine is named Super Spooky because it's like being attacked by ghosts from the dark!

Most of the /Dark powers don't need many slots, but the Illusion powers want a lot of recharge. So look for sets that boost recharge, Hasten, LotG +Rech, etc.

At low levels it's easier to use Group Invis than Superior, it burns 1 end /sec, whereas Group is a click every 2 minutes. You'll want both though for LotGs. And you'll still want Fade from /Dark because it gives great buffs.

Soul Absorption is another great power that'll heal you and buff your endurance once you get the timing of using it when there's plenty of bodies on the ground.

The skippables are Black Hole from /Dark and Flash from Illusion.  BH might save your bacon but your teammates will hate you for it. But you might use it when doing a stealth glowie-click surrounded by mobs.

Flash is a short group hold that you'll be able to use about every 2 minutes. I always forget it's there. Incarnate powers recharge quicker.

Howling Twilight is a better attack than Flash. It recharges quicker, stuns or scares (stacking with Spectral Terror) everything, debuffs their movement speed and recharge, and recharges pretty quick. Don't just wait for someone to die before you use it!

So get yourself to 18 so you get your Phantom armies!

If you don't know how to do powexec_location macros or binds, look those up.   I use F1 through F4 for PA, Spectral, Dark Servant, and Tar Patch so I don't have to click the power then click a spot on the ground, they just appear at the badguy I've targeted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Assuming you're Team-oriented and not Soloing:

With Illusion/Darkness you have plenty of access to Stealth. For leveling purposes, Super Speed + Shadow Fall are enough to sneak through most missions as long as you constantly move, meaning you won't need Superior Invisibility so early. I recommend picking Superior Invisibility up later just to carry Luck of the Gambler for Recharging, even then I personally have little use for it until I run into enemies with extremely high perception. Pick up Group Stealth (facilitates ghosting) and Fade as they provide Defense.

Pick up Flash AND Howling Twilight. Alternate between these two abilities on engagements. Tar Patch is also a major contribution to large crowd control this kit has to offer so place it as much as possible. Assemble Team Teleport and Recall Friend are very useful for your mission ghosting and for when you need to reposition bodies to setup your Howling Twilight resurrections.

All of the Pets are useful. You definitely want to maximize your cooldowns and use Phantom Army to initiate fights so as they obtain all of the Aggro attention. Throw in Procs for giggles (Such as Knockdown) and they become incredible bullies for your leveling process. Spectral Terror will be your fastest recharging Pet and I find it useful to drop Procs on him as well.

Skip Black Hole. If this power was a Toggle (So it could be strategically applied and removed like Dimension Shift) then it could hold some value but in it's current state - it's a frustrating time sink. I once had it for a day or two before ultimately respecing out. As the previous poster mentioned above, Soul Absorption is a great tool.

Once you're 50, you'll feel like a Support - Mastermind with all the Pets, and it's a damn good feeling because you're pets certainly aren't squishy alongside your Heals, Debuffs, and Defense.

Must Haves:

Hasten

Blind

Deceive

Twilight Grasp

Tar Patch

Howling Twilight

Shadow Fall

Fade

Phantom Army

(I mean, why would you pick this combination and not want a pet army?)

Spectral Terror

Phantasm

Dark Servant

On average, I could have 7 pets out. With Procs, Lores, and Temporary Summons, I could have 10+ Pets running around.

One thing that's made leveling up my Illu/Time a breeze is loading up Blind (and Time Stop) with damage procs. There are like 7 or 8 damage procs available, 3 of which are Purples (Apocalypse, Unbreakable Constraint, and a Catalyzed Will of the Controller) which are amazing but can't be used until level 50; But some you can start slotting them as early as level 10 (Normal WotC, Gladiator's Javelin -pvp ranged damage- Gladiator's Net -pvp hold-, and Neuronic shutdown). If you're willing to forgo a little damage, the Lockdown +2 Mag/Devastation 2 Mag hold procs are perfectly reasonable choices to ensure a 1-hit hold on a Boss.

Spectral Wounds also takes a number of procs: the aforementioned Gladiator's Javelin, Devastation + hold, Apocalypse, though it's otherwise best slotted as a normal damage attack, since it's probably the beefiest attack a Controller has access to.

Start with that, and things will be easy breezy 😃

I don't know if I'm 'doing it wrong' or what, but I took Flash on my Ill/Dark *and* I had slotted Blind with 4x Gladiator's Net and both the Lockdown and Decimation procs, the idea being, if something turns its eye on me, I want it stopped, now.  

My dudes do a fair amount of damage without me, so I run more towards mitigation on Ill/Dark.  

As far as Ill/Dark advice goes, I concur with pretty much everything everyone here said.   You'll want PA *available* as often as possible, so look at powers/sets that can easily add bits of Recharge.  For example,  if you take the Flight travel pool and Superior Invisibilty, you can get an easy 22.5% +Rech just from throwing LotG into Hover/Afterburner and SI.  I took Fireball or whatever from Flame Mastery just so I could fit a Ragnarok in it and get an extra 10% +Rech there.  It's like that.

Another thing I would echo is: don't hold Howling Twighlight back waiting for a teammate to die.  It's too good a power to be wasted like that.  Also, work it so that Soul Absorption is at/near the top of your combat chain... it's not a heal, it's a +Regen that is drastically more effective the more bodies it hits.

Last thing, Tar Patch/Spectral Terror.  Spectral Terror is waaay underrated as a form of soft control, remember to use it often BUT be prepared to chase things around if you don't have a Tar Patch down to keep them from just booking outright.

Overall, you could do much worse than Ill/Dark as your first controller, but don't take your experience with Ill/Dark as an example of how a 'typical' controller runs.  It's a weird beast among weird beasts.

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

5 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

Thanks for all of this advice, everyone!  I play a lot of Controllers, and Ill/Dark has been a tough nut to crack for me.  It is really different than all my other Controllers, so getting a handle on the build has been an education!

The reason for this is that Illusion isn't really a controller at all. It's a mini mastermind. I primarily play controllers because I like to "control" the battlefield. Every time I play my Illusion I just can't get into it due to the lack of actual control. He's built out with sets and everything and is a AV beast but in general play it's just a mastermind with a couple of other tricks. 

• Like 1

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

• 2 weeks later
22 hours ago, graeberguinn said:

Can anyone share a build for Ill/dark? Thinking this will be my cherry popper into illusion and I would like something to get me started. Thanks 

Here's my build, with T3 Spiritual it gives you perma PA

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Master-Illusionist: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Illusion Control
Secondary Power Set: Darkness Affinity
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Spectral Wounds -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(15), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(17), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34)
Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(A), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(5), TchoftheN-Heal(9)
Level 2: Blind -- UnbCns-Hold(A), UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(3), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(7), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(15), UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold(25), Lck-%Hold(34)
Level 4: Deceive -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(5), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(25), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(34), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(40)
Level 6: Darkest Night -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(7), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(13), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(50)
Level 8: Tar Patch -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(9)
Level 10: Howling Twilight -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(13), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 14: Fly -- Frb-Stlth(A)
Level 16: Shadow Fall -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(17), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(43)
Level 18: Phantom Army -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(19), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(19), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(31), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(31)
Level 20: Flash -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(21), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(37), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(37)
Level 22: Fade -- RedFrt-Def/Rchg(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(23), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(23), Srn-Def/Rchg(43)
Level 24: Recall Friend -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 26: Spectral Terror -- GlmoftheA-Acc/Rchg(A), GlmoftheA-Acc/Fear/Rchg(27), GlmoftheA-Fear/Rng(27), GlmoftheA-EndRdx/Fear(36), GlmoftheA-Acc/EndRdx(46)
Level 28: Soul Absorption -- NmnCnv-Heal(A), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(29), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(29), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(36), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(43)
Level 32: Phantasm -- Acc-I(A), Dmg-I(33), Dmg-I(33), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(50)
Level 35: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 38: Dark Servant -- Acc-I(A), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/Rchg(39), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb(39), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/Rchg/EndRdx(39), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(40), DmpSpr-Rchg/EndRdx(40)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(42), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(42), GifoftheA-Def(42)
Level 44: Disruptor Blast -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(45), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(45), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(45), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(46)
Level 47: Summon Tarantula -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(48), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(48), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48)
Level 49: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(11)
Level 50: Spiritual Core Paragon 
------------

• Like 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

Here's the build I've been using on my Ill/Dark. Perma hasten, PA, Fade and Soul Absorbtion. Ranged defense is at softcap an I have my smash/lethal resists at the cap. Spiritual is needed to hit the recharge to make everything work. I did grab both Superior Invis and Shadowfall, SI is just an LotG proc holder but shadowfall is always on

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Lady Shadowbourne: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Illusion Control
Secondary Power Set: Darkness Affinity
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Spectral Wounds -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(21), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), Apc-Acc/Rchg(23), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(25)
Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- CldSns-%Dam(A), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(3), CldSns-ToHitDeb(3), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(17)
Level 2: Blind -- SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(A), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(13), SprOvrPrs-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(15), SprOvrPrs-EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(17)
Level 4: Deceive -- CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(A), CrcPrs-Conf(5), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(5), CrcPrs-Conf%(9), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(11), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(11)
Level 6: Darkest Night -- DarWtcDsp-Slow%(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(7), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(7), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/Rchg(9)
Level 8: Superior Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 10: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 12: Howling Twilight -- Ann-ResDeb%(A)
Level 14: Tar Patch -- PcnoftheT--Rchg%(A)
Level 16: Shadow Fall -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19), ShlWal-Def(21), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(29), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 18: Phantom Army -- SlbAll-Build%(A), SlbAll-Dmg/Rchg(19), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(25), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(27), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(29)
Level 20: Fade -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(31), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 24: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(31)
Level 26: Spectral Terror -- SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(A), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(33), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(34), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(34)
Level 28: Soul Absorption -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Heal(43), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(46), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(46), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(46), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 30: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Phantasm -- ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(A), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(36), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(36), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(36), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(37), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37)
Level 35: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), StdPrt-ResKB(37), GldArm-3defTpProc(39)
Level 38: Dark Servant -- CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(A), CldSns-ToHitDeb(39), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(39), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(40), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(40), CldSns-%Dam(40)
Level 41: Weave -- Rct-ResDam%(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Rct-Def(42), Rct-Def/EndRdx(42), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(43), Rct-Def/Rchg(43)
Level 44: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45), UnbGrd-ResDam(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45)
Level 47: Dark Obliteration -- Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Rgn-Dmg(48), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 50: Spiritual Core Paragon 
------------

Edited by DocMidknight
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later

you both took Blind. Is it because of the Set bonuses or do you think its' a useful power? except at low levels I'm not sure I see the use for a single target sleep

Nevermind, I now see that it's a ST hold with a chance to sleep targets next to it. 

Edited by Papaschtroumpf

2 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

For me, early on it was a primary damage power as well.   I slotted 2 Acc, 2 Hold, 2 Dam generic IOs and it helped a great deal.

I always slot my controller single target holds as blasts. I think they usually have sufficient hold power without enhancing it at low levels; later I might like a little more so I can stack it on bosses.  But out of the box I just focus on maxing damage (both direct enhancement and procs as available).

• Like 1

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

1 hour ago, Erydanus said:

I always slot my controller single target holds as blasts. I think they usually have sufficient hold power without enhancing it at low levels; later I might like a little more so I can stack it on bosses.  But out of the box I just focus on maxing damage (both direct enhancement and procs as available).

Absolutely, especially for /Dark who has a lot of defensive ability from the secondary. Also, with the inherent accuracy bonus in single-target Holds, 1 Accuracy is usually good enough.

• Like 1