Focused Feedback: New IO Sets (Build 2)

Jimmy

• Developer
11 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Suggestions:

Make the run speed a damage proc. You will make the entire world happy and maybe even rejuvenate Electric Blast as a viable set. And also no one will slot damage procs in Stamina.

Suggestions:

Again, wish one of these two sets had a damage proc.

A level 50 character slotting a damage proc in Speed Boost could very easily kill low level characters fresh out of the tutorial. It is possible to flag the proc to only trigger on enemies, and we may revisit this idea in the future with enough time to think about it, but it won't happen with these sets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Developer
13 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

PREEMPTIVE OPTIMIZATION

Suggestions:

Replace the Range in this set with Accuracy to expand its appeal. On a lot of powers it will be meaningless, but still better than Range, which affects virtually no powers, unless we consider being able to cast Speed Boost from a longer distance a big advantage.

This is certainly doable, just understand that the reason this set was allowed to have three triple pieces and a quad is because Range was a known garbage stat. If the set provides Accuracy instead, then it will change to a more standard layout of three duals and three triples; Acc/Rech, EndMod/EndRedux, EndMod/Rech, EndMod/Acc/EndRedux, EndMod/Acc/Rech, EndMod/EndRedux/Rech.

10 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

I just had a closer look at the actual numbers in Synapse's Shock and compared them across sets. I think we need to revisit the Damage component of this set.

Takeaway: The set needs at least one extra source of Damage somewhere or it will end up in the bin with the Slow IO sets.

This hole is intentional due to the set bonuses. While the 6.25% recharge figure may not seem to be worth the downside, it was picked both here and originally in Bombardment because it is not very abundant, so you are unlikely to hit the maximum of 5 stacks; unlike the 7.5% recharge bonus, which is everywhere at high levels.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Curator said:

This hole is intentional due to the set bonuses. While the 6.25% recharge figure may not seem to be worth the downside, it was picked both here and originally in Bombardment because it is not very abundant, so you are unlikely to hit the maximum of 5 stacks; unlike the 7.5% recharge bonus, which is everywhere at high levels.

Thanks for your feedback. 🙂

I understand that sets need holes. However, a damage IO set that lacks damage is not a hole, its the Grand Canyon. There are a couple of sets that follow the model of not having sufficient damage... the Slow sets... the Knockback sets. No one slots them. Damage powers need to be slotted for Damage. The sets with insufficient Damage are ignored even if they have decent bonuses. You can skimp on the Accuracy, Recharge, or End Redux of a Damage set. But Damage powers need to be slotted for Damage.

50 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

Thanks for your feedback. 🙂

I understand that sets need holes. However, a damage IO set that lacks damage is not a hole, its the Grand Canyon. There are a couple of sets that follow the model of not having sufficient damage... the Slow sets... the Knockback sets. No one slots them. Damage powers need to be slotted for Damage. The sets with insufficient Damage are ignored even if they have decent bonuses. You can skimp on the Accuracy, Recharge, or End Redux of a Damage set. But Damage powers need to be slotted for Damage.

A grand canyon is a bit much. We're forgetting that the 30% damage enhancement lost is coming back with a 91% endurance mod enhancement. It's all about balance. If you want full on damage, you can go with a damage set. If you want full on Endurance Modification, you can go with a full on Endurance Mod set. This set (and others like it) are providing a significant balance where you are getting 70-90% of both Damage and EndMod, which is a nice option to have. You can't have it all, and you do have the option of Power Transfer that provides the numbers you're wanting. You just don't get as nice of set bonuses.

Ultimately, it won't matter at end game. Folks who do damage and endmod are likely going to get the Musculature Radial Alpha. With it, you'll hit 95.33% Damage in your Synapse Sets.

Stealing this from Vanden, because I'm tired of searching for it. But here are the numbers from Build 1 for the new sets (I don't recall what has been changed, if any)

Synapse's Shock

Accuracy: 42.4%

Damage: 68.9%

Recharge:  73.8%

End Cost: 21.2%

End Mod: 91.8%

Power Transfer

Accuracy: 39.7%

Damage: 89.9%

Recharge: 45%

End Cost: 39.7%

End Mod: 68.9%

Preemptive Optimization

Recharge:  96.3%

End Cost: 85.7%

End Mod: 97.1%

Range: 36.7%

Bombardment

Accuracy: 66.3%

Damage: 96.3%

Recharge:  89.9%

End Cost: 18.5%

• Like 2

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

• Developer
58 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

There are a couple of sets that follow the model of not having sufficient damage... the Slow sets... the Knockback sets. No one slots them. Damage powers need to be slotted for Damage. The sets with insufficient Damage are ignored even if they have decent bonuses.

Tempered Readiness (slow) has only 3.75% recharge, while Kinetic Crash (knockback) has the 7.5% recharge bonus on the sixth slot, making it impossible to fix the lack of damage. I don't see either one as fair comparison.

In damage powers, Synapse's Shock can be fixed by sixth-slotting a Damage IO to bring its Post-ED damage to 96.7%, or frankenslotting an Acc/Dam or Dam/Rech to bring the Post-ED damage to 91.78% and either the accuracy to 68.9% or the recharge to 95.11%; or even frankenslot a triple to get 63.6% accuracy, 88.07% damage and 91.78% recharge. It is very much not a "Grand Canyon" sized hole.

I should note that out of the three sets, Power Transfer is the one with a Damage focus, which is why it has both good enough damage numbers, and a recharge bonus on the sixth slot. Synapse's Shock is intended to be viable in damage powers if you plug the hole, and it should be judged on those terms.

Edit: sniped by @Bopper :classic_tongue:

Edited by The Curator

18 minutes ago, Bopper said:

Stealing this from Vanden, because I'm tired of searching for it. But here are the numbers from Build 1 for the new sets (I don't recall what has been changed, if any)

The only thing that's changed is Bombardment, which now gives Acc, Rech, and End of 61%, 85.7%, and 39.7% respectively. (Dam is unchanged)

I really have to say, I think being how relatively weak the Endurance-based powers are in comparison to the bases + proc potential of almost every other set, I really think they have a case in 2020 to have a damage proc that can be slotted into their powers. I think it needs to be balanced (you shouldn't just deal damage off of the proc applying to all your powers because you slotted it into Stamina), but I really think it would go to help an underperforming damage type deal a lot better than what it normally is given. Anyone else?

Morning all. I appreciate what you guys are saying and thanks for discussing.

What I want to reiterate is Damage is more important than End Mod. With a Damage set, Players need to be able to cram the Damage into the first 5 slots, if not the first 3. The secondary effects are a nice to have but not the deal breaker. A Damage power first and foremost must deal Damage. 

Here's the profile of the Yellow Thunderstrike set, which is a modestly popular, cheap set at 3 slots:

image.png.64cc51c300da1e9b76ce2d2e73e84b0e.png

The powers in Electric Blast and Electric Melee were designed for the SO system, where it is feasible to slot x2 Acc x2 Dam x2 or x1 End Mod. The End Mod would eat up a slot normally occupied by either Recharge or End Redux. Never Damage. Damage powers need to deal damage.

The issue is that when sets came around there was no way to slot that way any more and still get set bonuses. Why continue to punish Electric sets with a Damage penalty for pursuing that design? The reason we wanted a combined End Mod/Damage set is because these powers were always intended to have some End Mod slotting. But no one in the SO days shortchanged the Damage slotting for End Mod slotting.

After investing 5 slots,I shouldn't still need to "fix" the set with a Damage IO or a frankenslot. Slots in damage powers are too valuable for that. Looking at my current Elec/Psi Mu Dominator, for example, I currently slot x5 Positron in Electric Cages and x5 Ragnarok in Ball Lightning. Neither set is great, but they are functional and provide +6.25 or+10 Recharge in 5 slots, critical for me to keep my Recharge up. Adding some endurance mod here would be nice... but not at the price of losing the damage proc in Posi and come away with just 68% damage, meaning now I'm forced to expend a 6th slot, and that slot can't be a damage proc either because I have to fix the set's missing Damage.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 7:16 AM, oedipus_tex said:

the Knockback sets. No one slots them. 

^^ sorry, doing the old necro thing for this qft.

Pretty please with chocolate sprinkles a flake, raspberry sauce and a big pork pie can we have a general change to all knockback that gives damage depending on distance knocked (or mag, if it's the same thing)?

Edited by Herotu

• Jimmy unpinned and locked this topic