VET Levels With Purpose

Currently a lot of us turn off exp at VET 100 as its worthless. I like the number growing so keep it on as a sense of accomplishment but it really is worthless. It would be nice if after VET 100 for instance, every time you level you get a reward table with a permanent global buff that is applied to your character, its would be so small it would br trivial on its own but would be like progressively lifting weights and getting a little bit better each time. 

For Instance, every time you level, you visit the trainer and can choose one thing from a randomly generated reward table comprising 4 of any of the following:

-----

Increase Damage Bonus by +0.1%

Increase Recharge Bonus by +0.1%

Decrease Endurance Consumption by +0.1%

Increase Recharge Buff +0.1%

Increase Running, Jumping and Flying Buff +0.1%

Increase Tohit Bonus 0.1%

Increase Global Defense 0.05%

Increase Global Resistance 0.05%

-----

Clearly the numbers may need to be even lower to stop abuse but even going to VET 999, you couldn't exceed +45% global defense, and getting that in the table every time would be almost impossible, at best 50% of the time to 22.5% bonus. a large bonus but a HUGE time commitment, more then any IO's build ever built. 

Thoughts, comments? whats the point in VET levels if your litterally incapable of getting stronger

Also, side point about content difficulty, add a level shift option like that which is applied in Dark Astoria to all lvl 45+ content. if lvl 54 on a full incarnate team is easy, try lvl 54+3 ! if new incarnates are coming out something will need to be done after all!

i love this idea in principle not necessarily in execution. so here is my counter proposal.

every 100 vet levels turn them in for 1 extra slot, or something like that. 

Also its inherently easier/faster for some AT's to generate Vet levels than others. So maybe support classes require less to get more?

• Like 3

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

2 hours ago, Jaegernault said:

Currently a lot of us turn off exp at VET 100 as its worthless. I like the number growing so keep it on as a sense of accomplishment but it really is worthless. It would be nice if after VET 100 for instance, every time you level you get a reward table with a permanent global buff that is applied to your character, its would be so small it would br trivial on its own but would be like progressively lifting weights and getting a little bit better each time. 

For Instance, every time you level, you visit the trainer and can choose one thing from a randomly generated reward table comprising 4 of any of the following:

-----

Increase Damage Bonus by +0.1%

Increase Recharge Bonus by +0.1%

Decrease Endurance Consumption by +0.1%

Increase Recharge Buff +0.1%

Increase Running, Jumping and Flying Buff +0.1%

Increase Tohit Bonus 0.1%

Increase Global Defense 0.05%

Increase Global Resistance 0.05%

-----

Clearly the numbers may need to be even lower to stop abuse but even going to VET 999, you couldn't exceed +45% global defense, and getting that in the table every time would be almost impossible, at best 50% of the time to 22.5% bonus. a large bonus but a HUGE time commitment, more then any IO's build ever built. 

Thoughts, comments? whats the point in VET levels if your litterally incapable of getting stronger

Also, side point about content difficulty, add a level shift option like that which is applied in Dark Astoria to all lvl 45+ content. if lvl 54 on a full incarnate team is easy, try lvl 54+3 ! if new incarnates are coming out something will need to be done after all!

Rewarding the players with a global buff sounds similar to Diablo 3 paragon levels that provide global stats to your characters.  Neat idea, and it provides another level of progressin.

I think the reward itself though cannot be something that gives stats due to the way the game has hard/soft caps to def, resist, recharge, damage, etc.  Therefore, giving free stats on a game becomes game breaking because now you can skip entire IO sets and slotting methods thereby opening up toons to power creep beyond IOs, e.g a blaster with innate 45 def and 50% resist across the board.

Possible rewards may be just aadditional free exp for your alts so that you can power level your alts to 50 with a literal click of a button.  E.g. Every 5 vet levels past 100 gives 1 level for any alt not at level 50.

• Like 2

VET 999 would take years of work outside of a farmer, and even farming your talking a very long time. the rewards only need to be tiny, and the idea is you can specialize to what your class would benefit, A healer wouldnt get much from global damage, but a +1% healing/regen would go a long way

3 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

i love this idea in principle not necessarily in execution. so here is my counter proposal.

every 100 vet levels turn them in for 1 extra slot, or something like that. 

Also its inherently easier/faster for some AT's to generate Vet levels than others. So maybe support classes require less to get more?

extra slots would be even more game breaking, an additional 9 slots could add a LOT of extra procs to maxed builds. As for different AT's levelling faster, thats already a thing, outside of teams your empathy defender aint gonna be soloing very fast:D 

3 hours ago, Obus Form said:

Possible rewards may be just aadditional free exp for your alts so that you can power level your alts to 50 with a literal click of a button.  E.g. Every 5 vet levels past 100 gives 1 level for any alt not at level 50.

I like something like this.  Perhaps a different reward schedule where easier XP for alts, or maybe even granting the badges/accolades that take some grinding for the other characters.

I can appreciate trying to keep the buffs from being game breaking, but keeping them so low that they provide no observable difference in play seems just as pointless as VET leveling past 100. And trying to find the right balance in between is probably going to be too difficult to measure. And if further Incarnate abilities are ever developed, then those buffs would have to be looked at again. 

What about tying recipe drops to VET levels after 100. So at level 103, you get a rare drop. 106, 109, 112...., same chance for rare. Maybe make every 30th level a Very Rare drop. Or an ATO drop? 

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

5 minutes ago, Rylas said:

I can appreciate trying to keep the buffs from being game breaking, but keeping them so low that they provide no observable difference in play seems just as pointless as VET leveling past 100. And trying to find the right balance in between is probably going to be too difficult to measure. And if further Incarnate abilities are ever developed, then those buffs would have to be looked at again. 

If permanent buffs were given, I'd wager movement speed would probably be it such that people could skip their movement power choice at Vet level 1000.

Ayyy badass ranks! 😉

For context, Borderlands 2 had a similar system where doing certain actions as you played would unlock Badass Tokens, which you could spend on a table of small buffs per token. They were from a list of about 10, but you could only pick from 5 at a time that were randomly assorted per purchase. These applied to your account, so playing 1 character and getting a bunch would help the next character out, and could be turned on and off at will. The more you got tho, the progressively harder it would be to earn more + the less bonus you got per pick.

Something similar could be done here where each vet level you pick a random stat to give 1% to. But, that value decreases per pick so if you pick damage multiple times, it becomes: 1% > 0.88% > 0.77% > 0.67% > 0.59% > 0.51% > 0.5% > 0.5%, etc

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Ayyy badass ranks! 😉

For context, Borderlands 2 had a similar system where doing certain actions as you played would unlock Badass Tokens, which you could spend on a table of small buffs per token. They were from a list of about 10, but you could only pick from 5 at a time that were randomly assorted per purchase. These applied to your account, so playing 1 character and getting a bunch would help the next character out, and could be turned on and off at will. The more you got tho, the progressively harder it would be to earn more + the less bonus you got per pick.

Something similar could be done here where each vet level you pick a random stat to give 1% to. But, that value decreases per pick so if you pick damage multiple times, it becomes: 1% > 0.88% > 0.77% > 0.67% > 0.59% > 0.51% > 0.5% > 0.5%, etc

If we did give random stats (new type of game progression), I conjecture even with randomization of the stat (1/8 possible stats per OP) selected and with diminishing returns, I think the devs would have to put a cap on it (5% ?¿) similarly to Diablo 3 paragon levels so players can't hit soft/hardcaps and break the game.  

Else, those Vet level 1000 guys and that one guy at Vet level 2000+ would be ready for Battalion right out of character creation.

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

More end game buffs without more difficult endgame content is a bad idea.

Change this to a TEMP POWER you get when you hit the vet level and then we can talk.

This is why it could be a feature for survival mode! As more and harder enemies are added, you get small buffs to compete with their buffs.

3 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

This is why it could be a feature for survival mode! As more and harder enemies are added, you get small buffs to compete with their buffs.

Thing is we're ALREADY OP compared to existing content. So there would have to be Multiple Tiers of new, more difficult content added BEFORE adding these buffs.

2 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

Something like this could be added in for the Survival Mode suggestion! These extra buffs are only available in a mode like that, so the rest of the game isn't broken but we can keep getting stronger forever.

I mean, this mission idea sounds fun...but I don't see that it necessarily justifies the additional buffs being asked for in this thread. Frankly, I think the boost of the Inspirations cast on you when you level is enough. Once you've got so many Vet Levels that you have all the Incarnate abilities you want at t4 you don't NEED any more buffs.

3 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

I mean, this mission idea sounds fun...but I don't see that it necessarily justifies the additional buffs being asked for in this thread. Frankly, I think the boost of the Inspirations cast on you when you level is enough. Once you've got so many Vet Levels that you have all the Incarnate abilities you want at t4 you don't NEED any more buffs.

Which is why my tweak is to marry the two ideas. These additional buffs would only apply in the survival mode, not in the rest of the game. Because if we're simply adding stats to normal play, then I agree.

2 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

Which is why my tweak is to marry the two ideas. These additional buffs would only apply in the survival mode, not in the rest of the game. Because if we're simply adding stats to normal play, then I agree.

Ok, I hear you.

But still I would want all of that to wait until after we have content that justifies the CURRENT levels of power.

Maybe have vet levels grant some kind of credits that can be used to buy special stuff that can also be earned in game in other ways.

XP toward another character by delivering a 1-use temp power to the account (picked up via email).

Hard time getting people together for a certain trial that you need for a badge?  How about a list of hard to get badges that can be bought this way?

Choice of a Hami-O, purple IO, or PVP IO.

Temp powers that can either be crafted or earned by completing missions.

And for something new:  Access to a list of additional choices for titles.

I'm sure other options can be thought up, as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Player2 said:

XP toward another character by delivering a 1-use temp power to the account (picked up via email).

Rather than just straight-up XP, award claimable charges of the existing Experienced power -- the number of charges and award points can be tweaked to produce an appropriate level of reward.

I think every other vet level should keep giving merit rewards past 100, just keep it going like it does up to level 99.

I think a stat increase every level, even a minor one, could inevitably become OP with enough levels - maybe once every 50 or 100 levels.

Having said that, I think the xp needed to gain a new level should become much higher as you progress past 99.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Obus Form said:

I know that is meant as a serious suggestion, and would actually be cool for some people. But for the AE farmers who do nothing else? Awarding them for PL'ing with something that skips leveling entirely?

• Like 1

I'm just amazed at the number of threads that say "this game is too easy, give me another challenge" AND threads that want "a purpose" to levelling and exping at max incarnate.

To be blunt, that is a losing game from the developers standpoint.  Wonderful if they can pull it off, but if a couple decades of gaming has taught me anything it's if devs take a year (or More!) to write an expansion or carefully crafted raidsets, there will always be many groups of focused players who blow through that in 2 months, tops, and are looking for even newer, even shinier content and rewards.  And that's with a fully staffed AAA gaming studio running it. 

Quite frankly, HC devs dont' stand a chance to produce enough content to keep people always having something new and shiny over the long term. 

I'm not saying they should never produce anything new.  I am saying, you'll always finish whatever they produce fast.  And if you're a competitive gamer, you'll always be at a point where you feel overpowered and that content is trivial.  Your best bet is to come up with your OWN reasons for playing established characters at 50.  Don't look for a reward from the HC devs.  Decide on goals for yourself.  Immerse yourself in roleplay-vs-enviornment.  Dive into AE and try to come up with a convuluted story arc that you think other players would enjoy. Whatever does it for you.  Because there's gonna be a limited supply of dev-supplied-shinies to chase after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

I'm just amazed at the number of threads that say "this game is too easy, give me another challenge" AND threads that want "a purpose" to levelling and exping at max incarnate.

To be blunt, that is a losing game from the developers standpoint.  Wonderful if they can pull it off, but if a couple decades of gaming has taught me anything it's if devs take a year (or More!) to write an expansion or carefully crafted raidsets, there will always be many groups of focused players who blow through that in 2 months, tops, and are looking for even newer, even shinier content and rewards.  And that's with a fully staffed AAA gaming studio running it. 

Quite frankly, HC devs dont' stand a chance to produce enough content to keep people always having something new and shiny over the long term. 

I'm not saying they should never produce anything new.  I am saying, you'll always finish whatever they produce fast.  And if you're a competitive gamer, you'll always be at a point where you feel overpowered and that content is trivial.  Your best bet is to come up with your OWN reasons for playing established characters at 50.  Don't look for a reward from the HC devs.  Decide on goals for yourself.  Immerse yourself in roleplay-vs-enviornment.  Dive into AE and try to come up with a convuluted story arc that you think other players would enjoy. Whatever does it for you.  Because there's gonna be a limited supply of dev-supplied-shinies to chase after.

External validation and rewards.  Yuck!