[Shield Defense] Invisible Shield for Costumes

Basically, just a small something for the people who want to play /shield for it's benefits/playstyle, minus having the hunk of metal and/or elemental pain attached to them at all times.

Weird? Sure, but why not? >.>

Edited by ScarySai
  • Like 3

I would kind of want an alt version that's 'shieldless' so we could pair it with katana, claws, and make it a sentinel secondary.

Though the problem there is that I think Shield Defense (and some future sets like titan weapons) were expressly balanced around the idea that they couldn't be paired. Imagine Titan Weapons/"Shield" on a scrapper.

• Like 1

I don't even mind keeping the power set restriction (especially since maybe I want my shield to show in some costumes but not others).

The worst part about a shield is also the thing that will likely make this request so hard: how much it messes with.

Shield overrides your run animations, turns women into men, it fixes what animations can play for your primary attacks, and mucks with many emotes that can't tell if you're in combat stance or not.

So basically, whatever animation hooks shield already has would need revisited and even more behavior switches added.

2 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

I'd be happy with a port of the honeycomb of energy aura/shielding that the PPD get when hit and punching, since it's really cool looking.

Shield Defense as a Personal Force Field set?  I can dig it.  Would be some science fiction-y builds, too, like with porting Beam/SD Sentinel.

• Like 4

So, I'm a shield toon, with no shield?

Should a blaster have invisible blasts and instead look like he's swing a Titan weapon?

I'm all for a great amount of customization, but we have to have some bounds of reason.

As an MMo, I do take many queues from other players, like when I see a stalker go running off so don't tell them to stop because I can SEE they are hidden.

When someone hits me with invisible, I know I can sneak.

When a shield drone has a visible bubble, I can tell where to stand to be unkillable.

You with no visible shield, would make it harder for others to synergistically team with you. Turning off things like this, or where the green numbers are for heal, or fire cages graphic...

Makes it just difficult to tactically operate.

I'm very truly sorry, I must no vote.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

Should a blaster have invisible blasts and instead look like he's swing a Titan weapon?

I'm all for a great amount of customization, but we have to have some bounds of reason.

As an MMo, I do take many queues from other players, like when I see a stalker go running off so don't tell them to stop because I can SEE they are hidden.

When someone hits me with invisible, I know I can sneak.

When a shield drone has a visible bubble, I can tell where to stand to be unkillable.

You with no visible shield, would make it harder for others to synergistically team with you. Turning off things like this, or where the green numbers are for heal, or fire cages graphic...

Makes it just difficult to tactically operate.

I'm very truly sorry, I must no vote.

You should consider some of what was said in probably half the posts that came before yours...

Edited by Replacement
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Replacement said:

You should consider some of what was said in probably half the posts that came before yours...

I did, I read them all. I yes vote alternate costume pieces, but not removal of all shield pieces.

Edit: meaning a "no shield option"

Edited by SwitchFade
  • Like 1

So if you don't have to have a shield can you use two handed weapons?

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Just now, Troo said:

So if you don't have to have a shield can you use two handed weapons?

I see no reason to overcomplicate things, I advocate for everything to work as it currently does, but with the cosmetics of a shield being removed.

8 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

Not even dignifying such a laughable response.

• Like 1

@SwitchFade Specifically, I meant the suggestions to trade out an arm-mounted shield for a personal FF.

The other thing is, while I agree that it's ideal to telegraph what you are doing to your allies, it's not really accurate to today's game. My dark blasts are bright red, my fire looks like a viscous ooze, and my katana is currently invisible to my allies anyway. So I would say "it's a force field that's used more actively than EA's passive field" or whatever, but we don't need new fiction to justify it.

Finally, I would frankly view it as a workaround for female toons walking wrong.

Edited by Replacement
Autoincorrect
  • Like 3

Just now, Replacement said:

@SwitchFade Specifically, I meant the suggestions that trade out an arm-mounted shield for a personal FF.

The other thing is, while I agree that it's ideal to telegraph what you are doing to your allies, it's not really accurate to today's game. My dark blasts are bright red, my fire looks like a viscous ooze, and my katana is currently invisible to my allies anyway. So I would say "it's a force field that's used more actively than EA's passive field" or whatever, but we don't need new fiction to justify it.

Finally, I would frankly view it as a workaround for female toons walking wrong.

I'd yes vote an alternate like a PFF.

Something like this?  Elemental Shields, Energy Shield, black on black?

image.png.8a9fcb43f66137f7ac659a93f4a7a755.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

7 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

Something like this?  Elemental Shields, Energy Shield, black on black?

image.png.8a9fcb43f66137f7ac659a93f4a7a755.png

That's what I do, but it doesn't solve the following problems:

• Walk animation override
  • Emote incompatibility
  • Awkward over-reliance on the right hand (my Shield/Kin just looks like she's casting a spell with all the one-handed gesturing) - to be clear, sometimes you want this.  It would be nice to have the option to ignore the "lock left hand" component.
  • Awful taunt override (jungle drum scream)
  • Thanks 2