What are your "ignore" habits and why?

Tahliah

2 minutes ago, Solvernia said:

I don't like racists or kiddie diddlers either. But pretending they don't exist doesn't solve any problems. You don't 'win' the 'fight' against the 'evil nazis' by covering your eyes and hiding whenever they say bad words.

Giving them a platform does nothing but embolden them. It gives them a validity they don't deserve. You only win the fight against them by ridding your society of them.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Giving them a platform does nothing but embolden them. It gives them a validity they don't deserve. You only win the fight against them by ridding your society of them.

I would argue that arbitrarily ignoring people for having opinions you don't agree with is probably the worst way to actually get them to change those opinions.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Solvernia said:

I would argue that arbitrarily ignoring people for having opinions you don't agree with is probably the worst way to actually get them to change those opinions.

And I would argue that attempting discourse with those that have such opinions has been proven time and time again to be a completely fruitless endeavor with very few success stories.

Ignoring someone creating a toxic environment with their <racist/religious/political> spew in a game most of us use as an escape from the constant barrage of such crap in real life does not create a toxic environment. It's the simplest and arguably most correct way of dealing with the pond scum. It removes them from our little virtual existence here.

Arguing "opinions" regarding the necessity of a pool power is a far cry from arguing the validity of the "opinion" that some races are better than others. I have to fight racism every frelling day in my actual life. I'm not about to waste my game time doing the same for some worthless pile of excrement on the internet. I simply remove them and go about my day. If you choose not to, more power to ya. But stating that *I'm* creating a toxic environment by doing so is nothing short of ignorant bullshit.

• Like 3

Just now, Bill Z Bubba said:

And I would argue that attempting discourse with those that have such opinions has been proven time and time again to be a completely fruitless endeavor with very few success stories.

Ignoring someone creating a toxic environment with their <racist/religious/political> spew in a game most of us use as an escape from the constant barrage of such crap in real life does not create a toxic environment. It's the simplest and arguably most correct way of dealing with the pond scum. It removes them from our little virtual existence here.

Arguing "opinions" regarding the necessity of a pool power is a far cry from arguing the validity of the "opinion" that some races are better than others. I have to fight racism every frelling day in my actual life. I'm not about to waste my game time doing the same for some worthless pile of excrement on the internet. I simply remove them and go about my day. If you choose not to, more power to ya. But stating that *I'm* creating a toxic environment by doing so is nothing short of ignorant bullshit.

I think the issue is that you treat these people as some sort of primal, intrinsic evil, rather than what they actually are: people with serious mental issues and/or people who have grown up in bad environments. It's nurture, not nature -- and being hostile towards these kinds of people only reinforces their beliefs.

That why I say that ignoring and hating people for their political differences or mental behaviours is toxic. It works both ways. Your hostility makes them more hostile. Try being nice instead.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Solvernia said:

I think the issue is that you treat these people as some sort of primal, intrinsic evil, rather than what they actually are: people with serious mental issues and/or people who have grown up in bad environments. It's nurture, not nature -- and being hostile towards these kinds of people only reinforces their beliefs.

That why I say that ignoring and hating people for their political differences or mental behaviours is toxic. It works both ways. Your hostility makes them more hostile. Try being nice instead.

No. Harm no other and do as ye will. As soon as you break this law, you are no longer protected by it. If you side with evil and cause evil and harm, you are to be treated appropriately so that you are no longer able to bring harm.

Just now, Bill Z Bubba said:

No. Harm no other and do as ye will. As soon as you break this law, you are no longer protected by it. If you side with evil and cause evil and harm, you are to be treated appropriately so that you are no longer able to bring harm.

I like "kill 'em with kindness" better. After all: if the belief of your 'enemy' is that you are some kind of inherently evil creature, what does it tell them when you are nothing but polite and courteous in response to their attacks? What if everyone was nothing but polite and courteous towards those people, rather than vehement and hateful in kind? What leg would their beliefs have to stand on then?

Just now, Solvernia said:

I like "kill 'em with kindness" better. After all: if the belief of your 'enemy' is that you are some kind of inherently evil creature, what does it tell them when you are nothing but polite and courteous in response to their attacks? What if everyone was nothing but polite and courteous towards those people, rather than vehement and hateful in kind? What leg would their beliefs have to stand on then?

You end up with a two party political system with one half being the 4th Reich and the other having being a bunch of spineless and ineffectual morons attempting to take the high road.

Or to put it another way, we tried that. See where we are now?

You end up with a two party political system with one half being the 4th Reich and the other having being a bunch of spineless and ineffectual morons attempting to take the high road.

Or to put it another way, we tried that. See where we are now?

Man, if you think they're the 4th Reich now, you should have seen what it was like just 30 years ago. You know, back when reading fantasy novels meant you worshipped Satan and you got AIDS from being gay.

Suffice to say, things have steadily been getting better since ye olde days of ignorance and hate, and they will continue to, regardless of the fearmongering and hysteria that social media companies love to poison your mind with.

6 minutes ago, Solvernia said:

Man, if you think they're the 4th Reich now, you should have seen what it was like just 30 years ago. You know, back when reading fantasy novels meant you worshipped Satan and you got AIDS from being gay.

Suffice to say, things have steadily been getting better since ye olde days of ignorance and hate, and they will continue to, regardless of the fearmongering and hysteria that social media companies love to poison your mind with.

Yes, at least they're being charged for murder now. Too bad about all that voter suppression. Things are so much better, right? Remember, there's "good people on both sides."

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2020/05/08/authorities-father-son-charged-with-murder-of-black-man-killed-while-jogging-in-georgia/

For the record, I'm 47. I remember the Satanic Panic. I remember Reagan. Nothing has changed. The evangelicals are even more of a rabid force now than then.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba

Yes, at least they're being charged for murder now. Too bad about all that voter suppression. Things are so much better, right? Remember, there's "good people on both sides."

Human beings are inherently good-natured creatures; otherwise, we would not have a civilization. The issue is with the small numbers of people who are raised to harbor beliefs that come from ignorant and unstable backgrounds. You don't heal someone of their mental illnesses or poor social education by shutting them out or going on angry tirades about them. It just perpetuates the cycle of hatred.

1 minute ago, Solvernia said:

Human beings are inherently good-natured creatures; otherwise, we would not have a civilization. The issue is with the small numbers of people who are raised to harbor beliefs that come from ignorant and unstable backgrounds. You don't heal someone of their mental illnesses or poor social education by shutting them out or going on angry tirades about them. It just perpetuates the cycle of hatred.

We have a civilization and religion for the same reason: the vast majority of humans need the fear of punishment to behave appropriately because they aren't intelligent enough to choose that path on their own. This has been the case for the entirety of human history and will never change. Modern society is proof of it.

Very few of us are good for no other reason but that we have reasoned ourselves into it. I will admit that the increasing percentage of the "nones" at least gives me *some* hope for humanity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solvernia said:

I don't put anyone on global ignore period. Everyone has the right to speak their mind, even if it's something I disagree with.

The ignore function means that you, personally, no longer see their messages. You are not actually removing their ability to use chat channels.

Unless you're a GM or administrator, they might be able to do that but I'm not sure.

Edited by Blastit

51 minutes ago, Solvernia said:

Putting someone on ignore is not hurting them in any way.  Usually they won't even realize they are on ignore.  The ignore feature also does not equate hate.  Putting someone on ignore simply removes them from your feed, you will no longer see what they say or post.  It does not alert them that they have been ignored. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, EmmySky said:

Putting someone on ignore is not hurting them in any way.  Usually they won't even realize they are on ignore.  The ignore feature also does not equate hate.  Putting someone on ignore simply removes them from your feed, you will no longer see what they say or post.  It does not alert them that they have been ignored. 

Sure, but in my experience, many people like to make a show that they're ignoring someone. My favorite is when they mischaracterize the person they're ignoring so they can justify ignoring them. Sometimes, this means other people ignore that same person, even when they otherwise wouldn't, because the guy making a show of it put words in their mouth. Disregarding that though, rather than ignore the obvious racists/pedos/whatever I'll just report them and go about my day. Let the people in charge of the space decide if they get to stay or not. Whatever they're saying in chat doesn't bother me directly and putting them on my personal ignore list doesn't "remove their platform" either. Sweeping dirt under the rug might make my space look cleaner, but I still know there's dirt under the rug.

For what it's worth, I'm not taking sides here, just pointing out an observation. In particular, an observation that I've personally been victim of on more than one occasion for having "the wrong opinion", and it wasn't even close to controversial (being group ignored).

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

You can argue for both, report and ignore them so they'll hopefully scream into the void until they get banned. I have seen a small few people make a show out of ignoring people but its usually pretty rare and the small few times I have seen it the person being ignored was being a dick or perhaps not articulating themselves well.

I have ignored people over political arguments or turned of general chat temporarily simply because politics is pretty much everywhere else. I play countless other games along with this one, am active on other forums and branches of social media and I always see it going bad when someone drudges up political discourse and it happens pretty often these days. I like coming to this game to relax, not to see yet another bunch of people being obnoxious and in some cases arguing in bad faith.

On the other hand most MMOs have general/global chats are an absolute hellholes that you want to turn off forever. I have run into assholes in this games General chat (mentioned one occurrence of it earlier on in this thread) but it's been smol beans compared to what I see everywhere else. This isn't to say it should not be reported and ignored though when it does pop up.

Edited by Sleepymoth

On 5/9/2020 at 3:59 AM, ForeverLaxx said:

Sure, but in my experience, many people like to make a show that they're ignoring someone.

Literally the e-equivalent of sticking one's fingers in one's ears and going LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

• 11 months later

I’ve seen someone with a hate-inspired name in the last few months. Left the team immediately, (I said why) reported and ignored them. (Name was deleted soon after. Dunno if they were banned.)

I use /gignore occasionally. If a team leader is a jerk, it’s an easy way to make sure I don’t join their team again. I don’t have the energy anymore for that nonsense.

Latest was someone who joined an ITF, then dropped after the first mission, admitting he knew he didn’t have time for it when he started. (It happened that way again one night later when he joined a team I wasn’t leading. Yeah, repeated lack of consideration for others will get you on my list.

Anyone has a problem with who I block...I just. Don’t. Care. NFTG.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:23 AM, Solvernia said:

I don't like racists or kiddie diddlers either. But pretending they don't exist doesn't solve any problems. You don't 'win' the 'fight' against the 'evil nazis' by covering your ears and running away whenever they say bad words.

It’s not your job to listen to them, either. Report, ignore, move on. Let the mods decide what to do about it.

I rarely ignore.  The only thing that gets it from me is someone overtly pushing a hate agenda and actively looking for a fight.  I also ignore "Hate-baiters" who try to draw out people to debate on hot button topics but take the "everything is acceptable" side of the argument.  It's not that I don't have strong opinions myself.  I just prefer my internet gaming time to be drama free.

And that said, I probably have less then 3 people on ignore, and those are probably dead accounts.

I wish we had a "costume ignore" that generics someone's costume to me.  I would costume-ignore overly sexualized toons.  Since everyone's standard of acceptance is different on this, it would allow everyone to set their own standard.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

11 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

I wish we had a "costume ignore" that generics someone's costume to me.  I would costume-ignore overly sexualized toons.  Since everyone's standard of acceptance is different on this, it would allow everyone to set their own standard.

I get what you are saying, but how would that be implemented?  Would it ignore all costumes on that toon.  Or just that costume slot, presumably until a alteration was made....?

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

I get what you are saying, but how would that be implemented?  Would it ignore all costumes on that toon.  Or just that costume slot, presumably until a alteration was made....?

My thought was that character would just show up as a generic costume (old phantom army would be fine).  I guess it could be a specific slot, but I don't really care personally.  I hadn't thought that far.   I assume this would just be a locally handled swap performed by the local client and therefore wouldn't add any server load.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

5 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

My thought was that character would just show up as a generic costume (old phantom army would be fine).  I guess it could be a specific slot, but I don't really care personally.  I hadn't thought that far.   I assume this would just be a locally handled swap performed by the local client and therefore wouldn't add any server load.

Now you've got me obsessing over why we cannot change MMs pet costumes.  Again.  Why??????