What are your "ignore" habits and why?

Tahliah

3 hours ago, Coin said:

Are you.....are you for real?? Widely?? In 15 years of playing this game with an En/En blaster as my main, I've maybe met 2 or 3 people who complained enough to stand out in my memory, so I think that's a BIG claim!!

People lost their damn minds when they realized Overwhelming Force KB to KD totally changed the way Bonfire works and has become a staple since then.

On another note, have you ever joined a random radio/paper group, went nuts with knocking everything around mindlessly and then suddenly right after the mission people left?

Those are the nice people who also hate knockback

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

People lost their damn minds when they realized Overwhelming Force KB to KD totally changed the way Bonfire works and has become a staple since then.

On another note, have you ever joined a random radio/paper group, went nuts with knocking everything around mindlessly and then suddenly right after the mission people left?

Leaving without saying anything is actually a dick move... So not nice people.

If you wanna remain in your bubble of hatred, go ahead... But now is probably about time you left this discussion and moved on. Nobody here agrees with you and all you are doing is making a fool out of yourself.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

KnockDOWN does the same thing.

Not quite. Knockdown forces the enemy to spend a couple of seconds getting back up. Knockback does that too but also ensures that enemy is no longer in melee range. That can be quite important if you're a squishy.

Personally my broad take is that single target knockback is fine to good but aoe knockback is a pain cos it tends scatters things. 

On my meleers I never mind chasing something if it gets knockbacked but scattering a lovely tight-knit group which was begging to be AoEd is a pain in the nads. I pretty much always kb2kd AoEs. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BasherBot said:

radio/paper missions, low stakes low commitment.  calm down.

But the next time you go on a rampage watch others, they might stop for awhile and give them a target.  if they are targeting you and they leave afterwards.. well.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

radio/paper missions, low stakes low commitment.  calm down.

But the next time you go on a rampage watch others, they might stop for awhile and give them a target.  if they are targeting you and they leave afterwards.. well.

I have yet to come across anyone who complain's about Explosive Arrow's knock back... And I'm not gonna go on a rampage because I would rather stay behind the group's tank and damage damage from afar... Not try and solo group contend like the dumbass you are accusing me to be.

You are making wild assumptions off of a few bad experiences and lashing out at others for expressing their point of view on your outlandish claim. It's your fault that this is happening... Not ours. The sooner you realize that the sooner you can better yourself and actually have friends.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BasherBot said:

like the dumbass you are accusing me to be.

You lost me somewhere.  This thread has been going on for a long time and your name is new to me today.

Think I might have to take up the mantle of "the victim" soon, all I did was have an opinion in a thread who asked for it and everyone is just.. is just... just..

damn.  still gatta work on fake crying in text form some more.

3 hours ago, BasherBot said:

It's absolutely not a dick move. If someone isn't having fun on a team, they should move on. And they sure as hell don't owe any sort of explanation, goodbye, or any communication at all. If they want to leave, they should go for it.

I assume people know what their characters' powers do.  I assume also that people know what their characters can handle.  As a habitual player of tanking characters, tankers and brutes, I don't mind knockback at all.  It just means somebody else is taking responsibility for that one, and I'm fine with that. 

I am probably much more annoyed by rooting mobs. One thing I am always trying to do is to prevent mobs from shooting popguns at my people from across the room, and instead make them close and form a neat package.  But I don't get annoyed by this all that much either.  I assume again that people know what their character's powers are for, and that the root brings some kind of valuable damage or debuff to the mobs affected by it, one that justifies the few extra seconds it will take for the DPS to track them down.

And once your characters reach SO levels, these tactical issues become less and less relevant, anyways. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I tend to put people on ignore for being obnoxious and or assholes  of any kind in Help/General Chat. I recall one incident back when Homecoming first started were someone in help chat was continually treating me like an idiot for not knowing the cellphone emote existed (I played CoX before that emote became a thing) despite it being Help chat.

I have run into a few awful teammates though. One in particular was this one person in a small 4 man Posi 1 I did. It was really late at night and I couldn't sleep so I decided to do the Posi 1 with my rad/rad scrapper. I got into the group and initially things went well but one of my teammates started ragging on me because I didn't have a travel power (I usually get travel powers at level 14 out of habit because I played back when that level being when you could get them). That teammate then continued to start bitching and talking down to me. Constantly getting after me for every little thing about my playstyle (I tend to play really aggressively in general no matter which archetype), at one point telling one of my other teammates to shut up for trying to defend me, and going on about me being a bad player. Initially I ignored them but at one point I told them to back off and one of my other teammates said that they should just stop since they were being rude. They still kept going until we finished the TF and we had to tolerate it because we were a small team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kelika2 said:

No, actually, I haven't, mostly because I know how to play my character and don't knock everybody around mindlessly, and also because leave teams for dozens of different reasons.

You do realise, short of slotting every single power with the KD enhancement, it's impossible to avoid the knockback at times? I'm not going to slot it in every power because that limits the effects of a full set of IO's and Purple sets etc so that's not happening. I only have the one AOE with knockback and that's Nova which usually is used to either end that group before we even get started or as a last resort when things go pear shaped.

The single shot powers with knockback I use carefully, trying to position myself so that it's a useful KB, ie into a wall or a corner, but you know what, that's not always possible! When it's a full team in an ouroboros corridor, I can't get past people to be in a good shot so have to just blast away. Or if it's a wide open field map, like the carnies, no matter where I stand, KB knocks them away and there's very little I can do about that. If I can, I try and fly over them to turn it in an effective KD.

But hey, you'd just see me on the team as a KB blaster and just refuse to team with me as a "griefer" or a bad player, making assumptions before even finding out how well I can or can't play. Works both ways though. Like finding that annoying scrapper who runs off and aggros the entire map without warning, the healer who goes AFK with no warning, the tank that drags too many people to one spot before the team is ready or the player who clears half the map before the rest of the team have even gotten into the mish. All of these can be annoying, do you refuse to team with them? 

Or the worst one, the idiot who tries to tell people how to play their characters on a game when it's got sod all to do with them. They are the worst of the bunch and the only ones I tend to ignore. The rest can be annoying at times, but at least they add some fun and excitement to the game at times 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tahliah said:

KB makes you want to flop to the floor and flail your pudgy wittle fisties and stubby wittle tootsies until you are blue in your authoritarian wittle face-y.

I would pay to see that.🤣

• Haha 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

To all eh people praising KB as an amazing thing and a supah useful tool. Whoa, calm down. For every one who uses it right there are fifteen who do not.

In fact, I can't claim to particularly remember one such instance (the human mind is geared to remember the bad moments more than the good ones so take it with a grain of salt) but boy do I have the (usual) tales of Stormies using Gale for... reasons? Exploding Arrow scattering every thing. Poor kheldians just wanting to blast and wheeee off everyone goes.

I, personally, don't put people who use KB on ignore (such a weird power move, but you guys do you), but I certainly don't pat them on the back either. It's a little evil. What I don't get is KB users patting themselves on the back when the mechanic has been reviled since the game's start. What is it with the aggressive-aggressive move of telling people to grow up, calling them sub-standard players, or tell them to leave and go play in another server? WTF? They solved their problem by putting people on ignore and not playing with them. Your solution is A) to insult them (lol?) and B) to tell them to leave? Double wtf.  This isn't Tumbler. Calm down, Karen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sovera said:

To all eh people praising KB as an amazing thing and a supah useful tool. Whoa, calm down. For every one who uses it right there are fifteen who do not.

In fact, I can't claim to particularly remember one such instance (the human mind is geared to remember the bad moments more than the good ones so take it with a grain of salt) but boy do I have the (usual) tales of Stormies using Gale for... reasons? Exploding Arrow scattering every thing. Poor kheldians just wanting to blast and wheeee off everyone goes.

I, personally, don't put people who use KB on ignore (such a weird power move, but you guys do you), but I certainly don't pat them on the back either. It's a little evil. What I don't get is KB users patting themselves on the back when the mechanic has been reviled since the game's start. What is it with the aggressive-aggressive move of telling people to grow up, calling them sub-standard players, or tell them to leave and go play in another server? WTF? They solved their problem by putting people on ignore and not playing with them. Your solution is A) to insult them (lol?) and B) to tell them to leave? Double wtf.  This isn't Tumbler. Calm down, Karen.

The behavior you're noticing is a result of years of anti KB control freaks ranting and raving and bullying people that don't play the way they want. I can't speak for anyone else, but I decided long ago to treat those people the same way. That is if I acknowledge them at all. Because quite often those players, actually those people, are not worth acknowledgement.

It's actually why I use stars instead of ignore for them, I feel learning or remembering or cataloging their name in some way is more respect than they deserve. 

Edited by MunkiLord
  • Like 1

I've personally only ignored gold spammers.  I pretty much ignore folks the old fashioned way, I pay them no attention.  Otherwise I almost prefer to not to add them to my ignore list in a sort of "keep your friends close, your enemies closer" way.  If you annoyed me that much I will remember you and know your global.  Partly I think that stems from an incident way back pre-Croatoa.  Recently gaining 50th level I had created a Kheld (PB) and was in Atlas Park.  Got an invite to join a team. Joined and found my character Teleported to the team (teleport prompt off as per usual)  But the arrival point was in mid air just off the edge of a tall building.  Too taken off guard to react and not currently able to fly I plummeted landing atop mobs at ground level and kicked from the team.  Okay fun times ... .  While deliberating exactly how to respond I became aware of broadcast chat.  Clearly I wasn't the first player this guy had griefed as the chat was making obvious. I might have just continued on with my game, maybe actually putting him on ignore maybe not.  But the Broadcast chatter also made it clear the other players were new to the game.  And that sealed it for me chat copied, player reported but not ignored, feel free to keep adding to the evidence you $^&%#^.  Personally his stunt was barely a hiccup, but I'd be damned if he was going to do that to new players who might then have left, soured on the game and its community.

• Like 1

My rule is pretty simple: I'm here to have fun and relax. If someone is being a jerk, that defeats the purpose, so I don't want to play with them anymore.

It doesn't matter if I agree with every gameplay principle behind what someone says, if they're berating teammates or telling the lead to kick them over their power choices then they're not someone I want around. I'm far more likely to team with the person who is fun and pleasant, even if I think they have room to grow and learn as a player than the one who thinks they're so awesomely amazing that they get to verbally abuse others and stir up strife when people don't play the "right" way. Knowledge and experience are not an excuse for bad behavior.

I think the KB discussion here has proved both that even experienced players have disagreements as to how the game should be played as well as how unhealthy it can be to get overzealous about those points of contention.

Edit: Coin, click the drop-down next to your name under the banner at the top of the page. You'll find your Ignored Users list there.

Edited by Yoru-hime
Providing requesting information
  • Like 1

Just now, Yoru-hime said:

I think the KB discussion here has proved both that even experienced players have disagreements as to how the game should be played as well as how unhealthy it can be to get overzealous about those points of contention.

I have no issue with how anyone feels about KB, if that's their views, that's fine,  I'll add them my ignore list if they are being dumb-asses about and move on. People are entitled to their opinions on how the game should be played, it's wide enough for everyone.

I do resent being called a griefer because I play a KB powerset though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

The behavior you're noticing is a result of years of anti KB control freaks ranting and raving and bullying people that don't play the way they want. I can't speak for anyone else, but I decided long ago to treat those people the same way. That is if I acknowledge them at all. Because quite often those players, actually those people, are not worth acknowledgement.

It's actually why I use stars instead of ignore for them, I feel learning or remembering or cataloging their name in some way is more respect than they deserve. 

In the old game, when farming consisted mostly of herding large numbers of Dreck freaks into dumpsters and freight containers, knockback was genuinely disruptive.  The way the game is usually played has changed a great deal since then, but old habits apparently die hard. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I ignore rude people and people who leave silently like psychos from stuff where they can't be replaced, mostly just so I don't end up bringing a group down by inviting them when I am leading stuff.

I always forget about the note system so I usually just take people off it when I encounter them again because I usually won't remember why I ignored them unless they were complete stand-out idiots like one player who had a meltdown on me for something I didn't do, (being a high strung spastic or being stupid are both tolerable situations by themselves to me but both things together is a bit much), and the person who DID cause the wipe surely didn't deserve their tantrum either.

Or the guy who kept starting arguments in group because we wouldn't set a late evening Dr Q to +4 (despite only surviving our current settings from our support carrying him on his back) and then I found out he was harassing/threatening people in tells like a freak (including the person carrying him the hardest...seriously), and from the moment I kicked him the group took a turn and was upbeat and being positive/having fun/joking/laughing, instead of being silent and miserable between arguments. 

I kinda feel like I have to ignore people like this so as to not inflict them upon others. Those people I ignore on all of my accounts, including my mule account which is basically my hard ignore list, and only has a few players. 

I should really use the note system.

I definitely won't ever ignore people for their playstyle or ignorance or my opinions about their skill/strategies in the game and such, all that can be taught/alleviated/worked with or I can just run on ahead to the next group and fight it how I want to. 

I am totally fine with players/groups who don't always completely overpower everything as efficiently as possible.

I've even been in a few groups where I've pulled my own SA procs out to join in on the fun.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sleepymoth said:

I tend to put people on ignore for being obnoxious and or assholes  of any kind in Help/General Chat. I recall one incident back when Homecoming first started were someone in help chat was continually treating me like an idiot for not knowing the cellphone emote existed (I played CoX before that emote became a thing) despite it being Help chat.

I have run into a few awful teammates though. One in particular was this one person in a small 4 man Posi 1 I did. It was really late at night and I couldn't sleep so I decided to do the Posi 1 with my rad/rad scrapper. I got into the group and initially things went well but one of my teammates started ragging on me because I didn't have a travel power (I usually get travel powers at level 14 out of habit because I played back when that level being when you could get them). That teammate then continued to start bitching and talking down to me. Constantly getting after me for every little thing about my playstyle (I tend to play really aggressively in general no matter which archetype), at one point telling one of my other teammates to shut up for trying to defend me, and going on about me being a bad player. Initially I ignored them but at one point I told them to back off and one of my other teammates said that they should just stop since they were being rude. They still kept going until we finished the TF and we had to tolerate it because we were a small team.

Both of these situations sound horrible, Sleepymoth.  I can't even begin to understand what makes people think it's okay to harangue others like this.  

As an aside, I have no idea at all what a cellphone emote is . . . and don't even care!  If someone is that uptight about something stupid like this, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt.  A cellphone emote makes someone crazy?  Naw, there's something else going on there, so I just stop the conversation (temp ignore if need be to shut it down) and then unignore laters.  Life is short, crazy people whinging on about emotes are not worth wasting a moment on.  :)

That second person you describe is a horror show that I'd ignore, too, with a note reminding me why, and a one star for good measure (since I'd unignore him at some point but would avoid teaming with him again unless on a trial or something where he would have lots of targets for self-inflated venom).

10 hours ago, Sovera said:

Hee!  Awesome wake up call, Sovera, and you are so right.  I tend to be a bit dramatic and over the top, and I kind of hate that part of me (though it is fun in rhetorical / intellectual terms, it can hurt people).  I think it just boils down to the black and white of an anti-KB ignore . . . being, oddly and unironically, countered by the black and white of a pro-KB defense.  In that sense, I appreciate your balance on this and think you bring good perspective to those of us (erm, me!) who have let perspective slip away as we counter blanket anti-KB diatribes.  Of course we have all seen KB screw something up or even lead, however tangentially, to a team wipe.  But we have also seen crappy tanks/brutes/whatevers claim that the whole reason they suck is . . . . KB.  That's not right, either.  But yeah, KB is not the Second Coming, but it's also not the Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse.  (I giggled at your "Karen," but I'm not that, of all things.  I don't think I have ever reported a player for anything, either on live or here. :P)

On 4/17/2020 at 6:46 PM, Carnifax said:

Not quite. Knockdown forces the enemy to spend a couple of seconds getting back up. Knockback does that too but also ensures that enemy is no longer in melee range. That can be quite important if you're a squishy.

I have seen Knockback take enemies out of the equation for far longer than just a few seconds. An enemy that is knocked back will always take longer to get up than an enemy that was just knocked down. Because there's the distance that they traveled while being knocked back to take into account as well. Not to mention getting snagged on the environment in the process. Which, is something that really can't happen when an enemy is just knocked down.

I regularly team with players that use Melee. My characters with KB never start the fight. They also use positioning to slam the enemy against the wall or other objects that the Tank (or brute) has drawn the enemy to. If you're playing a melee character and having problems with another player on your team knocking things away from you. Look at where you're fighting the enemy and maybe, just maybe, change locations. Fighting in the middle of a room away from all obstacles isn't the best place to be. Also, politely ,inform the KB character to position themselves to take advantage of the obstacles that should be nearby.

20 hours ago, Sovera said:

In defense of Tahliah, and myself as well, it does get a little wearing when someone calls you a griefer for playing KB, or indeed, when someone says that an actual game mechanic of the game is evil???

I get it, some people don't like it, I even understand it, I've played scrappers to 50 and I know what effect KB can have, but how can constantly haranguing people on the forums for playing it, sticking people on ignore without even giving them the chance to show they know what they are doing or calling them aggressive be any worse than us defending ourselves?

Weirdly, it only seems to be on the forums that people scream about KB so much. In 15 years of playing a KB blaster I can think of two, maybe three times I've had any crap about it, and two of them were just after the game returned as Homecoming and I put it down to new people joining up and not knowing how to play so I gently moved on and left them to it, only one of which I ignored.

I guess I just resent being insulted and reviled by some people just for playing a KB powerset. I could understand if I was being a dick about how I play the powerset, if I spent every mission being a douche who scatters every enemy constantly, but I don't, and, honestly, I've only met one person in game who did the same as well, and he was well known for being an idiot anyway so I blamed him and not the powerset.

• Thanks 1