What are your "ignore" habits and why?

Tahliah

So the strangest thing happened a bit ago, and I am still sort of half-laughing at, half-bemused by it.  Someone goes on LFG for a Nemesis raid (omg, I love these things! Such a nice break from Rikti and Zombies, though I love those, too), and says send a tell blah blah Nem raid.  So I do.  Nothing.  So I try a second time.  A second time nothing.  Weird, right? 

So I get the dude's global and check my notes, and sure enough, I had a little note about something I thought was weird about an earlier interaction. No big deal, really, and I didn't ignore him over it.  In short, he had been seeking players for some kind of something, and I had sent a tell saying that if there was still room, I would switch toons. We all do that ALL the time, right?  Well, snippy pants sends back a tell saying that he doesn't "take reservations."  You know the type.  Anyway, this exchange landed me on this guy's ignore list (prolly rightly so, as I may have been less than diplomatic about his "no reservations" policy").  That part is fine with me, actually, since I was peeved enough to write a note, a thing I RARELY do, it must have been a hot exchange.  Apart from my note, though, I have zero memory of this ever happening.

Anyway, so the whole thing (no, I didn't get to join the Nem league, sniffle) got me thinking about the Ignore list and how we all use it.  Mine is currently empty, though I do occasionally ignore people for over-the-top annoying, inappropriate, and otherwise offensive chat (in help, LFG, wherever).  I do, though, go back and unignore them at some point, thus my empty ignore list.  There is literally no player in this game that I would not be on a league with for a Nem/Rikti/Zombie invasion.  Good grief, who cares who's on those teams/leagues?  Heh.

My feeling is that everyone has bad days and can behave badly on any given day.  Who hasn't?  Someone's dog may have died, they may have just lost their job, they may have been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, they may be drunk, high, or whatever.  These--and a million other--things can make people behave abnormally for them, so if my only experience with a player is a bad one, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt.  Who knows what is going on with them, right?  Likewise, if a player is new now, they won't be in six months or a year or ten, so what mistakes they might make now don't make them a "bad" player forever.  That tank can't hold mobs! IGNORE! What if you happened upon that tank while he was still learning the ropes and happened to suck because we all suck at any AT that is totally new to us?  That tank may be a freaking brickhouse by their third respec at 50 with incarnate.  I see no plus in ignoring people for stuff like this.  Who knows, a melee star may be running their first ever blaster . . . and totally muck it up.  Dude is a bad blaster but a kickbutt tank/brute/scrapper, right?  Why would I cut that off with ignore because they failed to meet my expectations on that AT at that moment?

Am I just too forgiving and open?  Should I ignore every crappy [insert AT] on principle?  On another note, does someone who thinks differently [insert whatever ideological position that is not my own] automatically become a bad teammate, a bad player, a horrible tank/blaster/troll/whatever?  Should I limit my teaming possibilities by ignoring everyone who doesn't think as I think or play as I play?  What about those players who hurt my feelz?  Should I just ignore everyone except the four people I like best to run with?  Heh, I'm getting a bit carried away as I am wont to do, but I truly am curious about what prompts people to ignore other players and if that's a life sentence (i.e. you never revisit your ignore list to remove people from it).  What say you?

• Like 3

I ignore if people go way over the top, usually I chalk it up to a bad day and just don't pay attention to them.  If I do ignore, I usually clear it in a day or week, to see if maybe they have straightened up or maybe got banned lol.  I dont write notes because it confuses me.  

Currently my ignore list is empty.  People just generally dont meet my threshold of stupid.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EmmySky said:

I ignore if people go way over the top, usually I chalk it up to a bad day and just don't pay attention to them.  If I do ignore, I usually clear it in a day or week, to see if maybe they have straightened up or maybe got banned lol.  I dont write notes because it confuses me.  

Currently my ignore list is empty.  People just generally dont meet my threshold of stupid.  

You are one of the sweetest, bestest people in our whole community, Emmy.   I am not at all surprised that you are so gracious and kind; it's what you do.  ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

General and Help tabs, all sorts of annoying loons on those channels Edit and Remove first things I do on a new toon.

Internet drama, epeen testosterone fiteclubbin, the I'm right and your wrong arguments, let's RP on a Help channel, etc, etc ad nauseam.

• Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

People seeking others for a team who then dont respond in any way, it takes at worst 30 seconds to announce team is full on general and then say sorry to those who just missed out. I think its ignorant not to reply and have no desire to team with ignorant people so on the ignore list they go. I couldnt care less how or bad a player you are or whatever class or build you want to run, unless Im running an AT specific run on something I always specify to bring whatever you like.

Edited by Jaguaratron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If someone annoys me and I want them to go away, or irks me enough that I'm going to a huge asshole, I'll put them on ignore. But I clear it out shortly after. I don't actually remember the last time I put someone on ignore. And the last time I cleared it I didn't even remember why I put the two people on ignore. 

• Haha 1

I think I have... Maybe three people? Four?... on gignore in-game.

One was a player who got his jollies by intentionally trolling his own team with his Peacebringer's knockback, and got nasty when called on it. I ignored him because I would rather not play with a jackass.

The others were either jerks in team/league chat or on one of the channels... racists, misogynists, and that kind of thing. IIRC one of them was very into rape jokes.

Otherwise, I'm pretty forgiving. I don't ignore people over general disagreements or just for having abrasive personalities. It has to be something SO annoying that I can't imagine anything else they might say as useful or entertaining. 

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 3

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I think there are only a few times I used ignore in the game, and one time on the forums. In game, there are times someone purposely will spam the chat (broadcast channel, typically) just to be a nuisance. Ignore.

Sometimes someone will be purposely be offensive or provocative (not sexual, but to cause anger/annoyance deliberately). Ignore.

That's really it. I ignore annoying people. 

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

I'm not sure I've ever ignored anyone.  I have enough trouble with the jamoques I have to deal with in real life to get angry at people on the internet, or so the voices in my head tell me.  I guess I would put someone on ignore if they were spam harassing me, but that might be it.  Really bad behavior gets reported, and let the devs sort it out.

Who run Bartertown?

I have no one on my list at the moment, but if I ignore someone it's probably because they were being overwhelmingly unpleasant. Maybe for a day or two, then take them off the list. I really hate keeping people on ignore... But there have been instances on Live where I SHOULD have put several people on ignore.

• Haha 1

@rajjypants - Everlasting Server

Thus far, I've only got three people on ignore. One - I've never encountered on a team, but I see his commentary on Excelsior chat. From the names of his characters, and his comments, I am convinced that this person is stoned out of their gourd and/or a serial rapist. 

Obviously, it's unfair for me to pass judgement that harsh on someone simply for comments made - but the names with the comments are just so gross, I don't want to think about it. 

Another person was someone I'd done several leagues/teams with - who no longer plays. No sense getting into it - but I just got tired of seeing messages spamming throughout the day for folks to join his sg after I read/experienced bad behavior towards another teammate during an ITF. 

Lastly, was a person who'd just sent me a tell asking me to PL them, as if it was the most normal, reasonable thing in the world to ask someone you'd never teamed with or spoken with before. At the time, it was just ...offensive. Anyone who'd just send tells to anyone else with no introduction for something like that is just not someone I want to know. 

So, to sum up - to get on my list - be unknown to me and ask me for influence or a PL out of the blue, or be very gross, or be very critical of new players without offering any solution or advice to them, nor recognizing the possibility of being completely in error about your own understanding of the game. (you kind of had to be there) 

• Like 1

I do not use ignore for anything that isn't a bot.

Not on forums.

Not in game, 

Not unless it's something liek a goldfarming bot spammer (Which thankfully, I have seen zero of these on Homecoming)

I'd rather deal with the rough and tumble of the crowd.

Your milage may vary.  One size does not fit all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I could I'd ignore all the lol melee players that start smashing as soon as they zone into a mission when half the team is still on the way to the door.

First of all I'd ignore them just for being sissy pants and playing melee toons with mez protection and thinking they are badass. Second lol melee. Third that kind of behavior is just inconsiderate.

• Haha 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

On live, while playing my kinetics defender, I had a terribly itchy ignore finger.  Took me a good long while to realize that I, personally, could not handle the energy needed to play a kin - I'd get revved up throwing out buffs and fielding emergencies, and would just blow my top if someone dared to give any sort of "friendly advice" in the middle of a fight.  Rage quits and ignores became a semi-regular thing for me, until I weaned myself off the role with a dark defender.

Nowadays, I barely ignore anyone for anything.  I may temporarily ignore people who are cluttering chat with never-ending, off-topic discussions, but they get un-ignored before I log off.  There are only two people I've permanently ignored since I joined HC.  They both said "Ok boomer."

• Haha 1

I run TFs a lot on Everlasting, most of the time leading them myself.  Leaving a TF for a stupid reason is a sure way to get blacklisted via /ignore.  Some highlights:

1. Second mission of an ITF, this lvl 50 Scrapper keeps running ahead of the team to fight crystals, dying half the time.  Team lead asks him what he's doing, and he says he's speedrunning.  When it's pointed out that the TF was never advertised as a speed run, he complains that he has to go to work in 4 hours and doesn't have time for the TF, so he quits.
  2. This guy only wants to run +4 ITF.  If it turns out the team's not up to the task and the difficulty has to be turned down, he quits.
  3. Starting out a Tinpex with the Apex TF.  We get out of the sewers in the first mission and our Corruptor goes "Wait, is this a speed run?"  "I guess?  This is how groups do it."  "I wasn't looking for a speed run.  Thanks guys."  And he quits.  I'll give him credit for being polite at least, but there's barely a difference between a "speed" Apex and what I presume a "non-speed" Apex is (I've only ever seen them done the "speed" way).
  • Haha 2

Everlasting: Charredcore-Head.gif.295932ce0b7f285ede7cd6f7baa92107.gif Charredcore (Sonic/Fire Blaster) Fleabitten-Head.gif.b2329ba8bd4533efc403330511a55b3e.gifFleabitten (Savage/SR Brute)  And many, many more!

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

Thus far, I've only got three people on ignore. One - I've never encountered on a team, but I see his commentary on Excelsior chat. From the names of his characters, and his comments, I am convinced that this person is stoned out of their gourd and/or a serial rapist. 

Obviously, it's unfair for me to pass judgement that harsh on someone simply for comments made - but the names with the comments are just so gross, I don't want to think about it. 

Another person was someone I'd done several leagues/teams with - who no longer plays. No sense getting into it - but I just got tired of seeing messages spamming throughout the day for folks to join his sg after I read/experienced bad behavior towards another teammate during an ITF. 

Lastly, was a person who'd just sent me a tell asking me to PL them, as if it was the most normal, reasonable thing in the world to ask someone you'd never teamed with or spoken with before. At the time, it was just ...offensive. Anyone who'd just send tells to anyone else with no introduction for something like that is just not someone I want to know. 

So, to sum up - to get on my list - be unknown to me and ask me for influence or a PL out of the blue, or be very gross, or be very critical of new players without offering any solution or advice to them, nor recognizing the possibility of being completely in error about your own understanding of the game. (you kind of had to be there) 

Half of those I'd report first, then gignore.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Your exchange reminds me of an ignore story from a different game, many many moons ago.

i was running a PUG raid, half with guildies and half with randoms. Loot drops and we roll to see who wins. Usual stuff.

Only unbeknownst to me one of the people on the raid, who someone else must have invited, had ended up on my ignore list from some previous encounter.

So when it came to rolling for loot, I didn’t see her loot rolls. Two of the same ring dropped, she won the roll, and I announced the winners were two other people and... chaos! I couldn’t see her rolls so didn’t realise she had won a ring. Much hilarity in the guild chat!

Eventually I sorted it out, and the honourable thing to do was pass her one of the rings, even though she presumably had annoyed me previously. Of course this upset one of my guild members who would have otherwise won the ring, and they had a proper sulk - but you can’t please everyone, and it felt like the proper response. I didn’t want to be one of those guild leaders who gave all the loot to my guildies and treated others unfairly! But they felt if she was on my ignore list (and I don’t ignore people often), then she obviously didn’t deserve that fair treatment! A bit of a morality choice! 

Anyway that was years ago, and these days I’m usually far too zen whilst playing to put people on ignore. They would have to be extremely persistent in their rudeness or trolling for me to bother. Otherwise I tolerate all sorts! 😃

- I was playing in the hollows A few weeks ago and on the team was a scrapper who just wouldn’t stop talking.
Like constantly

talking like this

about

every little thing

and standing

in the middle of spawns

doing nothing

whilst typing messages. 

Everyone just happily carried on with slaying our way to Frostfire, but after they left, they was an audible sigh of relief! 🤣

• Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

I have very few people on ignore. Perhaps 3 or 4. "Too cool for school" types, who hang out in Ouroboros, have several characters with variations of the same name, treat Help/LFG/General like their private club and are generally obnoxious. I'm not an old man but I'm still way too old for this nonsense.

• Like 2

I usually only click someone on ignore if they're spamming BS over and over.

I put a dude on ignore on a mothership raid once because he kept spamming his RP shtick over and over. It was probably his F10 battle cry. After the raid, I unignored him. A day or two ago (all days run together now) he joined a team i was on. He threw out his shtick when he joined the team and then again when he had to leave.

Notes and stars, on the other hand, I'll use a bit. PvP a-holes (not PvPers in general, just the real a-holes) get one star. Jackasses get two stars. People who want to run off solo while on teams get three stars. Eda gets five stars - so I can spot her more easily at MSRs, and because she's a real trooper to run that twice nightly. (Thanks, Eda!)

• Like 2

On live, my /gignore list just used to have the inf sellers.  You remember, names like lkjhdfg and the ever popular asdfg.  Report them, ignore them, move on used to be the standard operating procedure.

On HC, I don't recall adding anyone to the list, but I'll have to check next time I remember.

It takes a certain critical mass of irritation for me to reach for /gignore though.

I have one person on ignore. They tried forming a team of 8 to run PI mishes 10 mins before an update shutdown. When I mentioned the servers were going down pretty quick on team chat, they replied WHAT IS THIS YOU SPEAK OF? TELL ME! Thought at first they were trying to be funny. But they kept typing in ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME, BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS USE IT. When I made a request for them to consider doing otherwise, replied I DONT CARE ABOUR UR LIFE. Quit the team, put them on ignore. If not for the UR LIFE part, probably would’ve just bailed and left it alone. But, if this is how they wish to portray themselves, it’s not someone I need to be around. It’s like Maya Angelou says. When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. 

Other than that, I haven’t ignored anyone. I just shut off the General tab in my main feed. I’d like to ignore the bubbles of people who are running on our team, but are constantly chatting on other channels talking “build-babble” while we’re in mish, but that’s fairly common it seems.

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

The only people I have on ignore are people who created character names with racial slurs, etc. in them and then spammed chat channels with other hugely creative slurs because you need some kind of hobby, I guess. I haven't seen anyone do it in a long time and I'm assuming the ones I had on ignore have long since been banned.
Other than stuff like that, I don't put anyone on ignore. I will use notes to mark someone who's consistently been an ass, though.

• Like 1

@Hissatsuman, you can mainly find me on Everlasting!

Generally speaking it takes more effort for me to actually place someone on the Ignore list than to actually just, well, ignore them.  So I maybe have one - two globals on ignore and that’s it.

Both earned it for just being super demeaning, racist and/or sexist commentary.  I remove those people from my life IRL and don’t want them in my games either.  

• Like 3