Isn't it WAY overdue for a change?

damnimgood

Controller.Storm Summoning. Gale. You love it,you hate it. Isn't way overdue for this NOT to be a starting power? Yes, you use it to push enemies away that get to close, or even hilariously push enemies off high places and make them go splat down below. (Not really, would be cool though. lol) Smart controllers use Gale to pin enemies in a spot where the rest of your team can just go to town on those nasty villains. Then you get the newbies. And bless their new superhero souls, they use Gale like they are Blasters, and drive Scrappers and Tanks (Especially Tanks) mad with frustration. Shouldn't this power be optional later on, and  not a starting forced upon power. Maybe the starting power should be like a small lifting (vertically lift!) wind,to pick enemies up and drop em down hard. Not a huge lift,but just some light damage. Anyone else?

I have zero problems with Gale and would be unhappy if it were removed or changed into a Knockup power.

Knockback is wonderful damage mitigation while soloing.

It's also not bad on teams, but I get that community consensus considers it an operatic tragedy if someone has to move like, 3 feet, to continue with a melee attack. 

If you really don't want it to send people flying, add in a KB-to-KD IO.

If you hate other people on your team using it, don't team with them.

If you don't want to use Gale at all but still like Storm Summoning, take it out of your power trays.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Psyonico said:

you're suggesting a new power while keeping Gale... what do you suggest replacing?

Well like I said a vertical lift of low power. Just pick up and drop em.

27 minutes ago, MTeague said:

I have zero problems with Gale and would be unhappy if it were removed or changed into a Knockup power.

Knockback is wonderful damage mitigation while soloing.

It's also not bad on teams, but I get that community consensus considers it an operatic tragedy if someone has to move like, 3 feet, to continue with a melee attack. 

If you really don't want it to send people flying, add in a KB-to-KD IO.

If you hate other people on your team using it, don't team with them.

If you don't want to use Gale at all but still like Storm Summoning, take it out of your power trays.

What you say is true. "Operatic tragedy"? lol. You do have a way with words. I may steal that .But we're talking about absolute coh newbies in my example. Those who don't understand all that. And if no one wants to team with a newbie just because they like storm, and they want a team,then what?

13 minutes ago, Blastit said:

What is Gale's actual place in the power set? If you want push enemies around, isn't Hurricane generally better? It requires fewer slots, doesn't need a to-hit check and applies a handy debuff as well.

Starting power. That's what I mean I wish it came later in the powerset and was optional.

• Like 1

Gale is cheap to use.

Gale is a Cone vs a PBAE and can be used at moderate range

If you charge in with Hurricane you can sent foes back in different directions.  center guy straight back, guy to your right flies off diagonally backwards to the right, guy on your left diagonally backward to the left.

Gale lets you send them all in approximately the same direction.

If I could make one change to Storm it would be to make o2 a PBAoE heal. Maybe with some twist like Time, but allows it to heal the user. I noticed there was an AoE o2 ingame for mobs, level 50 banished pantheon I believe? 

As for Gale it’s awesome. It’s a large cone guaranteed knockback. Slot it for knockdown if you want, but the 100% chance to knock is great and highly effective soft control - which storm is great at.

Edited by Peacemoon
  • Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

1 hour ago, damnimgood said:
1 hour ago, Blastit said:

What is Gale's actual place in the power set? If you want push enemies around, isn't Hurricane generally better? It requires fewer slots, doesn't need a to-hit check and applies a handy debuff as well.

Starting power. That's what I mean I wish it came later in the powerset and was optional.

I may be wrong, but I thought the intent was to question what purpose Gale serves in the set rather than the power order - which was pointed out in the first line of your OP.

To which my response would be faster, but less controllable, pushing compared to Hurricane. If you're trying to move something a couple of feet, you brush against it with Hurricane and let the repel (with attached debuff) move it around at a fairly steady rate of speed. If you want one (or many) things sent halfway across the room quickly, for example because they're standing at long range because their AI is set to prefer range, then Gale is great for sending things over there. It has two pulses of fairly high mag knockback, so things are going to move quickly. If you hit (at reduced accuracy) and they don't have KB resistance/protection.

And if it really was a question about what tier the power is? Well... yeah. Already answered.

Yes, I was asking what Gale actually accomplishes within the set given that Hurricane is pretty much a one-slot wonder. I've just never seen much talk of Gale as a mainstay power of the set, with the main reasons cited being that 1) it's really slow to activate so it isn't much of an emergency button 2) its low accuracy, even for an AoE, means that decent investment is necessary to use it 3) even with investment you get less out of it than you do from Hurricane, which I've always understood as the premier herding tool of the set once you get the practice in.

Most of my personal storming experience comes from playing a plant controller, an AT for whom "a cone knockback" is not a very useful tool, so I could always give it a go on a defender instead.

4 hours ago, Intrinsic said:

Just change the minimum level of the Sudden Acceleration set to lvl 10.  With the KB->KD proc in it, Gale goes from zero to hero.

This.

Or if I’m really wishing.

Give all powers with Knock-anything- a toggle switch in settings to let player choose for Back, Up, or Down.

No IO’s needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Crysis said:

This.

Or if I’m really wishing.

Give all powers with Knock-anything- a toggle switch in settings to let player choose for Back, Up, or Down.

No IO’s needed.

That might be interesting if it worked like DP ammo choice (Swap Ammo) 3 choices: No knock at all (maybe a slight damage buff), Knock Up or Knockback as is which could be changed by the KB to KD IO.  Then the question would be what gets replaced.  Speaking strictly about Gale vs KB stuff in general. 

Edited by Doomguide2005
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Blastit said:

Thematic, for one.  It would make sense for say someone who's discovered they can control weather to start with a strong breeze rather than a full-blown hurricane tutu, just like blast sets start off with little blasts instead of complete nuclear melt-down explosions.  Beyond that, if you want to start nitpicking about whatever "role" it may or may not play, then I have a feeling you're going to unravel a lot of powers across multiple sets.  And if every set had to stick to a template of "two blasts, one small then one big; one stun; one heal; one AoE" or whatever, the game would get dull fast.

I just leveled a stormie Defender and liked Gale before and after I put the KB to KD in it.  Now it's even more useful.  I do find it more controlled than Hurricane, but obviously being more tactical requires you actually maneuver about a bit to line up your cone the way you want instead iof just barreling into the next group of foes.  I realize this may not be a popular method of play in today's world.  =)

• Like 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

11 hours ago, Intrinsic said:

Just change the minimum level of the Sudden Acceleration set to lvl 10.  With the KB->KD proc in it, Gale goes from zero to hero.

I use it as it is as an opener. It's great for clumping enemies together before you unleash all your AoE.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

4 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Thematic, for one.  It would make sense for say someone who's discovered they can control weather to start with a strong breeze rather than a full-blown hurricane tutu, just like blast sets start off with little blasts instead of complete nuclear melt-down explosions.  Beyond that, if you want to start nitpicking about whatever "role" it may or may not play, then I have a feeling you're going to unravel a lot of powers across multiple sets.  And if every set had to stick to a template of "two blasts, one small then one big; one stun; one heal; one AoE" or whatever, the game would get dull fast.

I just leveled a stormie Defender and liked Gale before and after I put the KB to KD in it.  Now it's even more useful.  I do find it more controlled than Hurricane, but obviously being more tactical requires you actually maneuver about a bit to line up your cone the way you want instead iof just barreling into the next group of foes.  I realize this may not be a popular method of play in today's world.  😃

I think that Gale is, conceptually, a necessary power in the set. A brief, strong gust of wind is precisely what the set needs to really be a storm summoning set. I also want powers to generally have a real use to them. Early attack powers exist so you can have an actual attack chain, for example.

It doesn't matter how thematic a power is if the actual gameplay reality of it is to take it only because you have to, remove it from your bar and never use it except to push around grey mobs.

Just now, Blastit said:

I think that Gale is, conceptually, a necessary power in the set. A brief, strong gust of wind is precisely what the set needs to really be a storm summoning set. I also want powers to generally have a real use to them. Early attack powers exist so you can have an actual attack chain, for example.

It doesn't matter how thematic a power is if the actual gameplay reality of it is to take it only because you have to, remove it from your bar and never use it except to push around grey mobs.

Plenty of us do use it, as noted in this thread.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

The More You Know!

*Gale goes woosh*

• Like 1

Vectored knockback could give Gale the chance to knock-towards. If you can use your own character as a positional anchor, crowd control with Gale would be amazing.

Coupled with Hurricane, a stormy character could control the positions of groups of enemies like nobody's business.

Edited by Lines
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Plenty of us do use it, as noted in this thread.

I normally play Storm as a secondary on my MM and Corruptor classes.  Gale is two slotted with a Knockdown and a FF +Recharge proc.  It triggers often.  

I don’t even use Hurricane past level 30.  Just not needed.

Edited by Crysis
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ABlueThingy said:

Does Gale take procs well?  I've never played with it

Yes it takes Targeted AOE damage IO's, Knockback IO's and Universal Damage.

Like I said earlier, it's a two-slot wonder with a SA Knockback to Knockdown and a FF +Recharge Proc.  Or you can throw in an Annhilation -RES proc and use it against hard targets like AV's.

Really smart controllers.... Generally skip this.

Even with KB to KD, it's far outperformed by other choices.

Leave it T1, as a change is unwarranted. It's a good newby starting power, with some niche io use later.

No vote on change to later selection. Yes vote on change from KB to KD.