Pick My Poison

::: EDIT:  I'm NOT looking for easy or best solutions. I'm simply looking for odd/curious/interesting/unexpected suggestions that may spark my interest. :::

I feel like running another PRAETORIAN and, for a change of pace, I'd like to hear your vote on any or all of the following:

AT  -  Primary Set  -  Secondary Set  -  Alignment  -  Faction

The following suggestions won't be considered because they can't start in Praetoria or I just levelled such a toon and don't feel like doing it right again:

EATs, Beam Rifle, Empathy (Cont/Cor/Def), Electrical Melee (Brute/Tanker), everything Titan Weapon

If there's interest I will document and comment on the levelling, since video footage currently isn't an option.

Feel free to just suggest or explain why you suggest what you did.

Edited by Lex Talion
clarification

My two cents, assuming you like MM's. Demon/Pain Dom

Demons came out with going rouge IIRC. (Or my brain has completely decayed and i'm wrong.)
Pain Dom you an AoE heal at 1, gives you your toggle +regen at 20.

I did this a while back and smashed through the content in Praetoria pretty easily, very stronk combo.

• Thanks 1

Staff/Ninjutsu Scrapper, Resistance (Crusader)

Staff=AoEs!, has some decent single target damage with sky splitter, a ranged attack with Serpent’s reach, choice of damage types with power ups. Plus, if you miss, you still look cool doing it.:-)

Ninjutsu allows some defense, mez protection, run/jump bonus (you can REALLY motor with Shinobi-iri+Ninja Run+Sprint), Endurance recovery with a click (same with heal). It’s sort of a Swiss-Army-knife defense set.

• Thanks 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

traps/assault rifle Defender or assault rifle/devices blaster. Some sort of secret service operative; loyalist of course.

Poison:

Plant/poison controller - some sort of venemous plant theme

??/poison MM - some sort of wierd psycho alchemist theme with experimentation pool. Poison works differently (better?) for MM's - noxious gas can be cast on your henchman rather than a self toggle - so would work well with a set with a strong melee henchman - maybe thugs and bruiser? Please dont pair with beasts!! 😄 I see it as a mad resistance crusader. 

Edited by Peacemoon
  • Thanks 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Mastermind * Thugs * Sonic * Resistance

I've always thought about doing a thugs praetoria run, because it kinda seems like it'd be a perfect environment for a chaotic uprising, 'smash the state' kind of character. Sonic is good for a Vox Pop kind of character.

• Thanks 1

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

Any MM that tickles your fancy.  Its hard to find teammage goldside and with MM you at least feel like you aren't wandering those creepy underground tunnels alone.

My latest goldsider is an archery/willpower sentinel (shes lvl 5 or so now) because I have found sents very solo friendly and Gen chat keeps me company 😁

Edited by EmmySky
  • Thanks 1

I ran a character up through Praetoria because it seemed to fit the mileu very well, and you can run several options of the character:

Psy/Dark Armor Stalker (Scrapper or Brute would work fine also). Psy is obviously prevalent in the milieu, and dark armor is just a generation of the character's anger and frustration (as we see in the First Ward, the broken spirits attack with negative energy blasts although they're conceptually psychic in nature). While Psy lacks AoE until 32, Dark Armor can slot up Dark Regeneration as a PBAoE and help with that, and Boggle helps with the nasty spawns in Praetoria.

Another take: Psy/Fire Armor. Same concept, although this might be a Syndicate drop-out, like a real Pyrokineticist, and Burn makes up for the AoE hole.

Different option: Robots/TA or Robots/EA... a scrounger making combat bots and either loaded arrows or electric gadgets for the Resistance.

• Thanks 1

Poison is a fun set, and you get some very strong debuffs pretty early, so I really like @Strawberry and @Peacemoon's idea of leveraging that from the thread title. 

• Masterminds:  If I was going to do an MM in Praetoria, I'd need something where the minions are not human. The power should reside in MY character, not them, or otherwise why didn't they get conscripted into Powers Division as their own character?  So I would avoid Thugs, Mercs, Ninjas.  But I could still justify Beasts, Demons, Necromancy, and Robots.
  • Corruptors:   Stronger Blasts, weaker debuffs.  And Scourge might save you if you're an idjit like me who likes doing +2 with bosses when soloing Praetoria. Some of those laser-guided ambushes get....nasty. 
  • Defender:  Stronger debuffs, weaker blasts.   I'd be leery of soloing a defender in Praetoria. Esp if you have stronger enemies and not enough slots yet to really proc-monster your way through things.
  • Controller:   Now, we're talking. Oh, I know, I know. Controllers are even Less Damage at low lvl than Defenders you're saying.  Well. Kinda.  But if you do a set that gets a Confuse.... like, say, Mind or Dark, or Plant....then those really strong Praetoria bosses will be on your side and help you mop up the ambushes.

So my vote is Mind/Poison Controller.   Honorable mention for Plant and Dark, but Plant much as I love it, Seeds of Confusion may not recharge fast enough to stack it on bosses.  So if you use solo bosses = Yes, the bosses may hurt quite a bit.  On Mind, Confuse should definitely cycle fast enough to stack confuses.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MTeague said:

Poison is a fun set, and you get some very strong debuffs pretty early, so I really like @Strawberry and @Peacemoon's idea of leveraging that from the thread title. 

• Masterminds:  If I was going to do an MM in Praetoria, I'd need something where the minions are not human. The power should reside in MY character, not them, or otherwise why didn't they get conscripted into Powers Division as their own character?  So I would avoid Thugs, Mercs, Ninjas.  But I could still justify Beasts, Demons, Necromancy, and Robots.
  • Corruptors:   Stronger Blasts, weaker debuffs.  And Scourge might save you if you're an idjit like me who likes doing +2 with bosses when soloing Praetoria. Some of those laser-guided ambushes get....nasty. 
  • Defender:  Stronger debuffs, weaker blasts.   I'd be leery of soloing a defender in Praetoria. Esp if you have stronger enemies and not enough slots yet to really proc-monster your way through things.
  • Controller:   Now, we're talking. Oh, I know, I know. Controllers are even Less Damage at low lvl than Defenders you're saying.  Well. Kinda.  But if you do a set that gets a Confuse.... like, say, Mind or Dark, or Plant....then those really strong Praetoria bosses will be on your side and help you mop up the ambushes.

So my vote is Mind/Poison Controller.   Honorable mention for Plant and Dark, but Plant much as I love it, Seeds of Confusion may not recharge fast enough to stack it on bosses.  So if you use solo bosses = Yes, the bosses may hurt quite a bit.  On Mind, Confuse should definitely cycle fast enough to stack confuses.  

Maybe I’m just used to low damage, but I don’t find Defenders and Controllers too bad. Especially Defenders if they use Assault from an early level which is +18.5% damage for them!

Although I recently soloed an Empathy/Psychic Blast defender through Praetoria, so my tolerance levels might be pretty high! He only died once though 😜

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

6 hours ago, EmmySky said:

Any MM that tickles your fancy.  Its hard to find teammage goldside and with MM you at least feel like you aren't wandering those creepy underground tunnels alone.

*nods*  I've soloed a 'bots/FF through Praetoria and it was fun.  Nowadays I might look closer at a 'bots/Electrical Affinity MM....

And though they've got a steep learning curve, MM's in general are fun soloers.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

My first Praetorian on Live was a Mind/Psionic Dominator who was "all in" with the Loyalist/Power faction.  Had a lot of fun until the game died.

Ironically, my two current Praetorians are a controller (Mind/Time) and a defender (TA/Archery).  The former is trying to be a good Loyalist/Responsibility, but somehow fell in with the Warden side of the Resistance and is running both in parallel.  The latter was full-on Resistance/Warden who went blue-side just a couple of weeks ago.  Weird thing is, I (the player) wanted out of Praetoria badly, but I'll admit I felt a little choked up when it came time to leave...

Finally, I'll second (or fourth, or fifth, or whatever we're up to now) the Poison set.  I have a character blue-side, AR/Poison Corruptor, who would be a natural Crusader on the Resistance side.  So many tasty debuffs - and I kind of mean that literally; you get to spit on your enemies.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

I though is was with Going Rogue, but I don't play Rouge or Gold sides very often anyway... 😁

Now, I think I'll have to play a red-side character named Rouge Rogue.

Probably have him have a laundry mishap and dress him in pink or something...

• Like 1

Just reread the post. If you want unusual, may I suggest Traps.Psi Def, resistance (crusader)

because no one plays that combo...

• Thanks 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Pick your Poison?  Well, there's 80s Poison, really glowy hair Poison, old 2020 poison...

80s poison.jpg

glowy hair poison.jpg

2020 poison.jpg

(Hey, you're the one that capitalized it.)

🙂

Edited by Greycat
  • Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

It was a busy weekend, but I haven't abandoned this thread. Thanks for your suggestions. And next time I'm gonna pick my thread name more carefully..

From a statistical point of view I should either roll a Robot/Traps or Robot/Poison Mastermind, or a Psi/Poison or Psi/Traps Def/Cor. Yet, one suggestion stuck and after only a few minutes puzzle tiles in my head already started to match. If that's not a sign, I don't know what is. So, I present to you my next Praetorian toon. With a hopefully nice picture and a bit of background story (pardon my english) as a Thank You to those who took their time to post. I'm not a RPer, so I wouldn't have cared, but knowing that Clamor and STyLeZ will reunite in the First Ward just sweetened the deal. And yes, the toon is named 'Clamor and STyLeZ'.

YipKnGX.png

Edited by Lex Talion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2