Good duo with 9yr old Water/Storm Corrupter?

Hi all!

Looking for suggestions of what I could pair with my 9yr old daughter.  She is making a Water/Storm corrupter.  She'll pick whatever powers she thinks look cool as she goes...she's excited for steamy mist, freezing rain, tornado and lightning storm and liked all the blast powers.  

My dilemma is...1st instinct is to go with a tanker/brute so i can pull aggro off her as needed.  I like the idea of staff/rad brute as I've never played either much and should be able to make it a pretty beefy brute build.  I just don't want her to feel like the enemies are always attacking me and I'm the one that feels more "super"

My other thought was build something to help her out with mezzes, not being able to do stuff is the least fun part of the game, so if i went /shield /sonic, /empath /kin(i love kins, was my main back in the day and could probably keep her alive pretty well if i explain the heal to her and would let her see big damage numbers)

3rd idea is VEAT could really bump up everything, +Def, +Dam, +Acc, love them in big teams but have a feeling we'll mostly duo 

4th forget optimizing anything and double down on theme...something/storm and do a father/daughter duo with similar powers

So what do you think will be the most fun for her?  What absolutely wouldn't be fun?  

I know the game pretty well....but have spent more time grinding XP/inf/incarnate than playing for fun both the last few years of live and since it came back.  I really just want her to have fun and experience the story with her.  We will always duo....but try to team when available.  

• Like 2

I'd suggest another Corruptor, or Defender, and take Electrical Affinity.   She's going to want all of your sweet, sweet Endurance Recovery Buffs if she's running Storm.  If you need to pull aggro, grab the Provoke from the Presence Pool.   It leads to Intimidate, Invoke Panic, and Unrelenting, which can all be very helpful for progressive play.

So, if you want to double-down on Theme, you could be Electrical Affinity / Water Blast, or Electric Blast.  The two combos will actually pair really, really well with the Water/Storm.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

I'd suggest another Corruptor, or Defender, and take Electrical Affinity.   She's going to want all of your sweet, sweet Endurance Recovery Buffs if she's running Storm.

So, if you want to double-down on Theme, you could be Electrical Affinity / Water Blast, or Electric Blast.  The two combos will actually pair really, really well with the Water/Storm.

IMHO this is 100% the right answer. The fun part of Storm is sending things flying to the four winds. The least mezzes/aggro control the better, because you can feel the effect of your Storm powers much more.

Storm sucks end like crazy and has no heal, Elec Affinity fixes both of these things. Elec doesn't care if you're in melee range or at range, nor where the mobs are, either - another pro for playing with Storm. Go Defender for greater buff values and go to town.

• Thanks 1

All good ideas in this thread. My first thought was a controller who could keep things locked in place and pinned down. It works better than a tanker for dealing with chaotic control and all the knockbacks, and you could get a buff secondary to help her. 

I think a nice contrast to Water/Storm would be Earth Control. A secondary that helps her end recovery would be nice too. Maybe Kinetics as speed boost is available at 20? Or just double up the mayhem and go Earth/Storm 😄

Plant/Nature night also be a nice mix. Or Earth/Plant. I’m sort of thinking thematically as well as gameplay wise.

Either way, have fun!

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

I will second the suggestion for a robot/elec mastermind. Or really any primary/elec MM. Corruptors do pretty solid damage on their own, so your daughter can have fun knocking enemies all over the place and you can both buff each other while your pets clean up any stragglers.

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

I vote...

Make a concept that makes her happy, as this is more about her. Pick an AT that can make her survivable and potent, as this will make her less frustrated.

Her imagination will be best served by a super them that she really loves. If your character is one that is conceptually foreign to her imagination, it will be less immersive.

Whatever that immersive duo is, let her sculpt the look, and you pick the sets that will support her best. Let her be the lead.

You just run behind her holding the bicycle seat, until she's up, balanced and leaving you behind to soar while you cheer.

• Like 2

I wouldn't go melee as a corr doesn't have an out of box way to contain Tornado so things are going to get knocked around. More so with Hurricane. Since it hasn't been suggested, a Plant/elec controller would be a good nature based themed pairing. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

I would pick something that complements her abilities or lack of abilities. The toon would need to provide holds/immobilizes to keep baddies in her sweet freezing rain and whirlpool. Your AoE immobilize will help with all of your daughters kb. Earth, Plant, Ice (to fit thematically while duoing with storm) and Fire troller would all fit the bill. Earth best controls around. All I need to say about Plant is seeds of confusion. Fire provides more dmg along with good controls to go along with all of your daughters damage.

As for secondary, you can't go wrong with /Time, /Nature, /Dark, /Rad, /Elec. Aff. (depending on primary elec can be busy...too busy) ,/Kin (but remember she'll probably be at range missing the taoe buffs), /Storm (more dmg but neither of you will have endurance). 

Hope this helps you decide if picking a controller.

15 hours ago, MagmaticTitan said:

Looking for suggestions of what I could pair with my 9yr old daughter.  She is making a Water/Storm corrupter.  She'll pick whatever powers she thinks look cool as she goes...she's excited for steamy mist, freezing rain, tornado and lightning storm and liked all the blast powers.

Beast/Kinetics Mastermind.

You can thank me later ... after she "saves" your dogs and cats from Bad Guys plenty of times.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

All REALLY good suggestions!  I am definitely going to let her take the lead.....but we spent 2 hours just looking at power sets to come up with her build so I do want to guide her some.  No Idea how long costume design is going to take!

I really like the suggestions for electrical affinity and it will give me something fresh and exciting to play.  I might guide her to pick between

Robots/elec MM (little friends to help us)

elec/ice defender (I can lock down problematic enemies ad ice is probably my favorite blast set and fits thematically)

almost any _____/elec controller

First of all, water/storm was a good choice.  I have a 9 year old son who sometimes logs in.  I found that giving him a ranged toon makes it much easier for him to target.  He doesn't have to worry about being in melee range to hit his target.

I'm not sure on the best duo partner.   But I recommend picking travel powers at level 4 together so you can just spend a lot of time running around exploring.  

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Time defender, with Power Boost and Far sight you can easily cap defense; than she can destroy the bad guys while debuff and buff.

Electric/Time controller for theme and support.  Endurance Recovery comes late to the set with Chronoshift, /Time is so OP in usefulness of buff/debuff.

Controller with knockback prevention in AoE to storms chaotic effects, in a group setting.  You know how KD/KB is a very sensitive subject and hurricane/gale/thunder storm are KB crazy; the screams of enjoyment from a child will get drowned out by rage of fully grown adult.  In a duo, just locking the baddies down and keeping your daughter alive would while she demolishes them would be easy.

/Electric Affinity controller, theme and KB prevention I said above.  A portion of /Elec set is kinda trash; I know some of you are going to disagree but here is my say; It would of been fantastic at release as it is now but with IO/Incarnate in the game the -End powers are garbage in a steam roll group: -Recov -End and Voltaic Sentinels' retarded brother that just drains End; damage would be nice while it does its -dmg and -end thing.  Faraday seems like it should be a toggle you can throw on someone like the -resist in Sonic, located +resist power that doesn't move just seems like a headache.  Electric Aff really needs some tweakes outside of -End on so many powers; I just can't make a Mids build I like and get some of the levels of defense I want.  Otherwise, I love the chaining aspect and the buffs are pretty strong; only Amp needs some love as it basically gives a T9 Def power to a single player; would prefer it be a group buff.

I would suggest something that can control the wild side of a child who is just having fun and maybe a buff set to keep them alive while they demolish the bad guys; enjoyment of a child trumps any other perfect combo.

Edited by Outrider_01

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

1 hour ago, MagmaticTitan said:

All REALLY good suggestions!  I am definitely going to let her take the lead.....but we spent 2 hours just looking at power sets to come up with her build so I do want to guide her some.  No Idea how long costume design is going to take!

I really like the suggestions for electrical affinity and it will give me something fresh and exciting to play.  I might guide her to pick between

Robots/elec MM (little friends to help us)

elec/ice defender (I can lock down problematic enemies ad ice is probably my favorite blast set and fits thematically)

almost any _____/elec controller

I would lean more towards controller as mentioned, keeps things locked down and still, and will be good for defending her.

If you want to play /elec, I probably wouldn't go elec/elec as the aoe immobalise for electric control does not have knockback protection.

Ice Control might fit thematically, and be quite fun with a /storm partner. Especially as Frostbite won't stop them from being knocked down by Ice Slick these days. 

To be honest, I would focus more on a cool theme duo than gameplay.

Have you thought about also going Water Blast as a Sentinal or Blaster? You could be some sort of Water Elemental guardian? Super splash! 

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

4 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Beast/Kinetics Mastermind.

You can thank me later ... after she "saves" your dogs and cats from Bad Guys plenty of times.

But ALWAYS make sure that she zones first.  A zoning Beast MM is the most upsetting thing in this game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!