[Resolved] Network Issues - July 3rd, 2020

Jimmy

1 minute ago, Razorback_Yeah said:

Looks like the servers are back up ? Can anyone else confirm ?

Servers won't be up until you see more than 3 people on any given one at a time. Anything less and it's testing.

7 minutes ago, Cipher said:

All shards are now operational again.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Honestly feel it is or should be a crime that you all can't make bank off this game right now. I have paid much more for much less from other "big" game companies. You you are all amazing !! I just can't express my love for you enough 😄

• Like 2

This was so clearly just a ploy for Jimmy to secure the position of first user to accumulate over 2000 Reputation in the Invision Community system on a single account!

(Please note that this post is entirely not serious in its accusatory tone.  But, all the same, Congratulations to @Jimmy and thanks to the Homecoming Team for their continued provisions to make this game accessible!  Kudos!)

• Like 1

Thanks for getting us all back online! Checked everything by finishing that TF and having zero lag/mapserver errors during the entire thing. Netgraph stats were also clean, as one would expect from the aforementioned performance. 🙂

14 hours ago, zmonkey said:

The only problem I foresee is currently they are simply covering costs. All money that goes in, goes directly to the server costs, nothing more, nothing less. A sub service would almost certainly generate excess funds. While that would be fine for future extension costs (new shards, for instance), it would almost certainly be excessive to keep them out of the nonprofit category.

That's exactly what I mean. Cheers.

22 minutes ago, Patti said:

Can it be explained why avilunteer group provides better quality of service than a lot of professional companies?

Sometimes, the best things can't be explained.  They just are... 😎

What was no more, is REBORN!

1 hour ago, Patti said:

Can it be explained why avilunteer group provides better quality of service than a lot of professional companies?

Could it be that they care for the game😀

• Like 1

Ex Defiant and proud Norfolk OldBor

I know some homecoming team are Brits and the servers are in Canada.  Was it a holiday for them?  Either way thanks to them but guess a reminder on the internstionality of homecoming team is important.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@Jimmy it's Saturday, wanna kick open a can of worms? You guys really need to get a Patreon solution running so you can know how much money is accessible for server upgrades. 

think Patreon allows finite numbers of each donation tier so you could probably cap even the lowest level to cap growth.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Captain Valiant said:

That's exactly what I mean. Cheers.

Then what you mean is that the folks running Homecoming should try and earn a profit running servers that utilize the  intellectual property that still belongs to NCSoft by allowing a subscription service? You do realize that if they went that far, NCSoft would almost certainly take legal action and shut Homecoming down altogether, right?

• 3 weeks later
On 7/4/2020 at 7:39 PM, zmonkey said:

Then what you mean is that the folks running Homecoming should try and earn a profit running servers that utilize the  intellectual property that still belongs to NCSoft by allowing a subscription service? You do realize that if they went that far, NCSoft would almost certainly take legal action and shut Homecoming down altogether, right?

What I mean is that a subscription service would make it difficult, if not impossible, to keep them from turning a profit and, thus, jeopardising the situation; that situation being that NCSoft is allowing Homecoming to run its intellectual property as entertainment, rather than as a money-making venture. Clearly.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2020 at 5:35 AM, Captain Valiant said:

What I mean is that a subscription service would make it difficult, if not impossible, to keep them from turning a profit and, thus, jeopardising the situation; that situation being that NCSoft is allowing Homecoming to run its intellectual property as entertainment, rather than as a money-making venture. Clearly.

Sorry, I think I misinterpreted what you were suggesting. You also understood it would be difficult to keep any kind of automatic donation system from generating too much revenue to be considered nonprofit, even though you'd be happy to subscribe to such a thing if it were possible (as would I, having again missed the window to donate to server upkeep and other related costs). Now that I think about it, what WOULD be great, is if we could contribute sequentially, rotating through everyone who wishes to donate each month, so everyone gets a chance to "cycle through," capping the max donation at, say, $20/month. That way everyone who could afford to contribute could do so, and those with excess funds would be contributing the max amount every time they cycled through.

• Like 1