[Resolved] Network Issues - July 3rd, 2020

Jimmy

21 minutes ago, qaz1qaz1qa said:

Cant say how much we appreciate all your hard work.  Game has been fun and this is the first time I have played it.  Your generous support of the game and us gamers is once again appreciated.

Because I am very new to game I don't know where donations can be sent.  Please inform.

Every month towards the end of the month they open a donation link.
Once they have enough they shut it back down.

I've been trying to donate but they usually get all they need in about 20 mins.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. 

As a UK player, the invitation often comes at a time of day when I am not online and the required amount has been met before I am back online.  Perhaps a second invitation for donations at another point in the day might net some extra money allowing you to provide some extra capability.

The game is still awesome and the effort you put into keeping it fresh is massively appreciated.

• Ouroboros
Just now, Mender Silos said:

Hey, @Mender Derek it looks like it wasn't your fault, after all! What a surprise.

Woohoo! I am so happy. I was just traveling through the timeline to get some doughnuts but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about here - found a glass of milk in a fridge that didn't belong to me for sure - tripped over some wires and spilled my drink all over some techy - science - beep boop - robot computer box stuff. Well...long story short it - EXPLODED. It will probably be fine though. Anyways, now i'm here. Anyone want a doughnut?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Ladyluck523 said:

One of these days, the donations are going to be so fast and furious, we're going to have the next month covered before they can close it down, you just wait and see!

2 minutes ago, Mender Derek said:

Woohoo! I am so happy. I was just traveling through the timeline to get some doughnuts but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about here - found a glass of milk in a fridge that didn't belong to me for sure - tripped over some wires and spilled my drink all over some techy - science - beep boop - robot computer box stuff. Well...long story short it - EXPLODED. It will probably be fine though. Anyways, now i'm here. Anyone want a doughnut?  

Why is my City of Heroes dow.... oooh! Doughnuts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mender Derek said:

Ooh, are they from Drenched Donuts in Faultline?  Those are the best.  Their doughnuts are why Arachnos established a base in Faultline, you know.  Even we villains and rogues appreciate a tasty doughnut.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Justified_Son said:

I second zmonkey.

DITTO.  Happy to donate to help get better servers.  If you need a predictable donation stream to make a budget, we may be able to set up recurring donations through paypal?  IDK.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ladyluck523 said:

Same.  I've tried to donate too and never gotten in. 

Oof! Cloud providers...

No experience with the different cloud providers services, but I did do devops in a data center spread over two floors of an eleven figure US private company. I'd firmly suspect switching providers would be a fairly large cost compared to rejiggering your networking wrt your private networking, physical racking, and redundancy/copy/sync options.

That said - it's going to depend entirely on cost/services offered for the particular provider which doesn't necessarily translate to others and vice versa. Let the spreadsheet nightmares commence! 🤮

Here's a virtual hat tip and a sympathy beer drunk for whomever's responsible for that!

For those who have no idea wrt all the technical jazz - OVH according to some people is like the third biggest provider in the world. Taking that with a grain of salt it's definitely in the top five along with google, amazon, microsoft, and maybe one or two others. Best part? They all have different services, different ways of using them, different costs for all of those things, and etc. It's tedious, ridiculously complicated, and at times even stupidly esoteric.

I blatantly stole this - but sometimes I believe that it was a mistake teaching sand to think. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the update. I can't say how much I appreciate this game being online and everyone knows tech issues will happen. If donations are needed, post a note in game when the servers are back up. I'll be glad to help as so many others have mentioned.

Edited by Flambouyant
grammar
  • Like 1

I am impressed with this community. I have played many games over the years. Could easily say 20. And here not a complaint. Not a one. Very supportive and upbeat. Understanding of the "Devs" hard work and efforts to keep the world turning. ANd that even then things can go wrong.  I could say thats a heroic attitude.

• Like 2

Had I dime one to spare, I would donate that dime without hesitation. Alas, all I can offer is my heartfelt appreciation that not only is my favorite game of all time back, but it's being worked on by folks who give a damn. A thousand thousand thanks, and here's hoping the migration goes off smoothly!

• Like 2

Awesome. This sounds just like work for me. I am a data center facilities engineer with certs in Cisco, Microsoft, HVAC, Telecom, and a dozen other things with a EE (things have changed a lot in computers and communications when I started in 1976). My wife of 44 years has exactly the same qualifications so you can guess neither of us ever hear "hey honey, what did you do today?" lol. Dare I say she is working on City of Titans with her spare time for the last 5 or so years.

Thankfully, at age 65 I am about 13 months from retirement. Thank you for doing all you do to keep the greatest game ever online.

• Like 4

Airman America

Legion of Lost Planet Airmen

1 minute ago, Tyrannosaur said:

Awesome. This sounds just like work for me. I am a data center facilities engineer with certs in Cisco, Microsoft, HVAC, Telecom, and a dozen other things with a EE (things have changed a lot in computers and communications when I started in 1976). My wife of 44 years has exactly the same qualifications so you can guess neither of us ever hear "hey honey, what did you do today?" lol. Dare I say she is working on City of Titans with her spare time for the last 5 or so years.

Thankfully, at age 65 I am about 13 months from retirement. Thank you for doing all you do to keep the greatest game ever online.

Wow, think of all that time you're going to have to play CoH. I am incredibly jealous. Enjoy your much deserved break from the work force. 🙂

• Thanks 1

The base always turns out at donation time, average window usually less than a couple of hours.  I've only made the window twice and I try and desire to contribute every month.  Solid servers for a recurring fee is good for me.  Give us a means to make our donations automatic and many of us will sign up

• Like 6