Is it possible for non-MM to have a pet control window?

cohRock

I created an elec/elec Corruptor who will eventually have 3 pseudo-pets, Voltaic Sentinel, Galvanic Sentinel, and a prestige buff pet.  The Electrical Affinity set includes a "chain" heal, which means you target an ally or pet and cast Rejuvenating Circuit.  If soloing, a pet can be targeted, usually healing the pet and and nearby allies, including yourself.  The problem is, if a quick heal, is needed I do not know of a way to target one of his pets without taking time to turn around and manually clicking it.  This can be very awkward in situations where multiple foes are attacking you.

An MM's pet control window includes not only his normal, primary-power pets, but also pseudo-pets.  Is it possible for a non-MM to have this window as well?  If not, what is an efficient way to heal self solo in battle situations?

-- Rock

Yes, if you go into settings, there is an option to show pet window.

It will then appear as a tag at the top of your Team window. Clicking it will give you the basic pet window.

Sadly, it does nothing to help you control your pets!

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I do not know if the pet window can be opened for non-MM's.

If it can, I would certainly expect all pet commands to be greyed out. 

But I can understand a desire just to have the window as a means to monitor pet health at a glance. 

It's possible to build a macro / keybind to target your pet with a single keystroke or click whatever works better for  you. That would at least take away the time of manual retargetting. 

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Target_name_(Slash_Command)

12 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Yes, if you go into settings, there is an option to show pet window.

It will then appear as a tag at the top of your Team window. Clicking it will give you the basic pet window.

Sadly, it does nothing to help you control your pets!

It works!  Thank you.  Although commanding them is not an option, just being able to see their health and quickly target them is a big plus.  Actually I haven't verified that the Voltaic Sentinel will show up there; it is a tier 8 power and my char is only level 7.  I don't think VS can be healed, though, so it may be moot for it anyway.

@MTeague Thank you.  I'll experiment with such binds and see what works best.  An issue is that, at any given time, a certain pet may not be up.  I.e. if the buff pet is up but not the Galvanic Sentinel, I'd want to heal that, and vice versa.  Of course, nothing says I cannot have two macros. 🐶

• Like 1

-- Rock

2 hours ago, MTeague said:

But I can understand a desire just to have the window as a means to monitor pet health at a glance.

It can be opened. The commands are not greyed out, but do nothing for non-MMs.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

That pet window show all kinds of pets, too, not just MM pets. It’ll show the P2W buff pets, lore pets, controller pets, haunts, Warshade fluffies, seeker drones, and traps. AFAIK, as long as it’s a real pet (ie, has health), it’ll show up in that pet window. 

It won’t give you any pet control abilities you didn’t already have, but it provides an easy interface for targeting, renaming, and dismissing them. 

• Like 1

The pet controls are available for any character.

But only once they hit level 50 and unlock and equip a Lore ability.  The commands will only apply to the Lore pets, so no sneaky gaining control over the three incendiary maniacs on a Fire controller.

You can *absolutely* control Lore pets like MM pets, and in some cases It's very valuable.  Like the last fight of the Keyes Island trial, where you can set the pets to Passive/Attack my target on Antimatter.  They'll try to murderise AM, but won't attack the terminals if your league is going for 'Loves a Challenge'.  if you want to be doubly certain, then you can tell them to go to Passive/Follow once AM starts his regen and reinstruct them to murderise once he's done with the regen.

9 hours ago, MTeague said:

The window can be opened by anyone.

All pet commands are NOT greyed out, depending on the pet.  The incarnate Lore pets are controllable.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

5 hours ago, ZekeStenzland said:

AFAIK, as long as it’s a real pet (ie, has health), it’ll show up in that pet window. 

Sort of, but not always.  For example, Spectral Terror shows up, but it's untargetable and doesn't show health.  Phantom Army is also weird because it shows up, but Phantasm's clone, which is basically the same as the Decoys , doesn't.  

Basically, it's a mess, but generally you're right...sorta.

14 minutes ago, Twisted Toon said:

That would probably be because the Decoy Phantasm is your pet's pet and not your pet.

I get that, but at the same time, if you slot the ATO Energy Font proc in Tornado, the Font appears in your pet window, but it's owner is labeled as Tornado.  Which also doesn't make sense because the act that triggers its creation is the casting of Tornado and the Tornado itself can't even proc Font.  Meanwhile, the Tornado doesn't show in the pet window, because it's generally not a pet-pet, but more of an untargetable psuedopet.

Like I said, there's no hard and fast rules.  Just like how all Stalker attacks are manually coded so that the crit mechanics are baked into their version of the attacks, so much of this game was done ad hoc and ended up as a weird inconsistent hodge podge.  At the end of the day, it works, but good god, so much of it should probably have been done "right" from the start instead of being cobbled together.  Oh well.

4 hours ago, Ironblade said:

All pet commands are NOT greyed out, depending on the pet.  The incarnate Lore pets are controllable.

I've been trying to open this for a BR/Traps Corr who's only about 25th right now, so I can keep an eye on my FF generator, and the system refuses to open jack for me.

Edited by Clave Dark 5

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Menu->Options->Windows->Pets->Show Pet Window Option (enabled).

Then on the team window, click 'Pets' It doesn't matter if you're in t a team or not, you can still click pets.

Or type "/windowtoggle pet"

Edited by Li_Sensei
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Li_Sensei said:

Then on the team window, click 'Pets' It doesn't matter if you're in t a team or not, you can still click pets.

One of the great mysteries to me is why that option is set to disabled by default for all non-MM's or even why it even exists at all really.  Literally all turning that option on does is then in turn give you another option to actually click on the word "pets" on the team window to THEN turn on the pet window.  It's basically an option for an option.    I've always said it should be on by default for everyone.  If someone really hates having the "pets" option on their team window they could then turn it off I guess. 

As it works now,  I can't even count the number of times I've had to explain in help channel the 2 step process it takes to actually get the pet window to appear for non-MM's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

That would probably be because the Decoy Phantasm is your pet's pet and not your pet.

Which raises the question: How does Phantasm turn on his pet window?

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

15 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I've been trying to open this for a BR/Traps Corr who's only about 25th right now, so I can keep an eye on my FF generator, and the system refuses to open jack for me.

Weird.  I have the option enabled on every character and can open the pet window even on characters who get no pets.  It's empty, obviously, but I can open the window.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

20 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Not sure if its weird, but a peace bringers photonic seekers can use pet commands.

2 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Which raises the question: How does Phantasm turn on his pet window?

A little candlelight, some calamari...

• Haha 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

12 hours ago, Li_Sensei said:

Well I couldn't find a "pets" to click on the team window, but that "/windowtoggle pet" did the trick, so thank you very much!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 8/30/2020 at 11:39 AM, cohRock said:

I created an elec/elec Corruptor who will eventually have 3 pseudo-pets, Voltaic Sentinel, Galvanic Sentinel, and a prestige buff pet.

The Corruptor, Frick and Frack, got his Galvanic Sentinel early, but the Votaic Sentinel was not available until 26.  He named the GS "Frick", and the character concept was to name the VS "Frack".  It turns out that Frack is untargettable, and hence does not even show in the Pets window.  Nor can I rename him.  😞  Hopefully teammates will realize that Frick and Frack has a pet named Frick and a very shy pet named Frack.

• Like 1

-- Rock

2 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

I would use something other than Calimari.

I don't think chewing rubber is much of a turn on...

Whatever those heroes and villains get up to in their own time is none of my business...

Go have fun!

OK, thanks

Go have fun!