Want to make an Illusion Controller

Normal Thomas

I had an Illusion Controller on live but this was when leveling was slower (like around pre-I7 slow) and I had trouble getting him up to lvl 18 (when things really kick off). I now feel deeply I want to try and make one again (especially since its an easier ride to get a full attack chain) but I'm curious how other people play their Illusion controllers, what secondaries and epic/patron pools synergize well with Illusion and as with any power sets what to slot and what to drop. Get personal about what you love and hate about them! Maybe even lead me to some builds you like or use.

As far my current preferences I'm leaning toward Traps and Poison because they seem to be more offensive, active sets that still have some fun buffs for the team. My only lvl 50 controller (ever and on here none the less!) is Gravity/Time so I come in with that perspective when it comes to controllers. I am also adverse to taking Empathy and Pain Domination because while I do like to team, I value utility and versatility a lot and I don't want to play a set that can only excel on a team.

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

lllusion doesn't set up Containment or have much of a way to take advantage of it, so embrace the chaos... get a secondary that does damage without needing Containment, and play as an offense-oriented summoner/blaster/debuffer. I like Storm, TA, Traps, and Poison in that role... Rad and Dark also play very well and strong defensively, but not nearly as oriented towards offense, and so much more oriented towards teaming. Cold is another option... it's a strong debuffing set, and it teams well with some nice team buffs, but it doesn't help with damage so it's another teaming option that's oriented more towards offense... it also solos well against AVs, but struggles to clear maps about as much as the other teaming secondaries.

Storm is high damage, and its chaotic control meshes well with Illusion. Slotting Force Feedback procs into Tornado and LS helps get PA permanent. This is my main character.

TA (once the version on Beta testing goes live) and Poison are going to be excellent debuffing sets. I like TA more for Illusion as Illusion can play all-ranged, and so can TA, but Poison wants to go into melee range. But Poison is still a pretty good choice, with Poison Trap set up with procs to be an AoE damage attack to help with Illusion's low AoE damage. TA does have the advantage of an Immobilize to keep AVs in place. Neither really help with Recharge.

Traps is probably the best pairing with Illusion, with personal defense to help for the times that chaotic control slips and mobs actually take notice of you. It has excellent AoE damage to help Illusion's weakness, and an Immobilize against AVs. It helps a bit with Recharge if you slot Trip Mine with Force Feedback, but not much since it's not a power to spam, unlike Tornado/LS.

With the Beta changes to TA, I think Traps is the best secondary for Illusion, with TA in second place. Storm is third but an excellent option if you really like more damage, and Poison is a close fourth. These top four are really well ahead of any other lllusion/x options, IMO. Oh, and that's for a solo-oriented character who may team. For a team-oriented character who may solo, TA > Traps, and Poison > Storm, but in both cases only by a bit. Pick any of the four that you think you'll like, and you'll be happy with the combo.

Edited by Coyote
  • Like 1

• Retired Game Master

I've recently taken to Illusion/Storm on a controller, and have been enjoying it MUCH more than I originally thought. So, I suggest giving storm secondary a shot. It really is like having two primary power sets.

I'm generally not a fan of illusion, honestly (... despite having a few,) but I've got to say Poison and Storm are my favourites to play...

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I really enjoy my Illusion/Poison. I went Stone Mastery for my epic (the armor really needs a no fx option) primarily for Fissure and Seismic Smash.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

I don't have much experience with Illusion outside of my Illusion/Storm, so cant really speak to the effectiveness of other combinations.  Ill/Storm is fun if you enjoy chaos and

definitely is effective both solo and on teams.  I've been running a lot of all controller teams and have seen a lot of illusion variations played - I would say Illusion/Rad is probably

the most prevalent so far.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:43 PM, JawGod said:

How do you even play an Illusion/Traps controller? I feel so ineffectual when I tried it.

I would assume using Group Invisibility or Superior Invisibility would easily let you waltz into an enemy group and set your mines off right on their faces while they're busy dealing with the Army and Terror.  G. Invis would also mask your Force Field Generator so they don't aggro that too.  Positioning is important with Traps, and having access to one of the best non-Hide Stealth powers in the game helps a lot with that.  The real issue with Traps these days is that it's a set that calls for set up time which is something you won't get in the fast kills pace of the game these days on teams.  You'd be lucky to get your Poison Trap off before the crowd is dead and it will be two spawns before it's ready to go again.

• Like 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

16 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

I would assume using Group Invisibility or Superior Invisibility would easily let you waltz into an enemy group and set your mines off right on their faces while they're busy dealing with the Army and Terror.  G. Invis would also mask your Force Field Generator so they don't aggro that too.  Positioning is important with Traps, and having access to one of the best non-Hide Stealth powers in the game helps a lot with that.  The real issue with Traps these days is that it's a set that calls for set up time which is something you won't get in the fast kills pace of the game these days on teams.  You'd be lucky to get your Poison Trap off before the crowd is dead and it will be two spawns before it's ready to go again.

This.

Though generally my Trappers used Super Speed + Stealth IO for making an undetected entrance ... they were also mostly corruptors with few defenders thrown in.

On 10/27/2020 at 9:08 PM, 5099y_74c05 said:

I think /Poison and /Traps are both excellent choices to pair with Ill/. I'll explain why below.

The main draws of Illusion/ is Phantom Army and to a lesser degree Superior Invisibility (Superior Invisibility + Team Teleport allows you and your team to infiltrate most missions undetected. ). The ability to manage aggro with your (nearly) invulnerable pocket tanks AKA Phantom Army is unique to Illusion. With the right build you can have PermaPA (or close) meaning Phantom Army has 100% uptime. This is achieved via +Rech Buffs and by stacking +Rech Set bonuses. PA is also immune to external buffs, meaning a PA centric build predominately benefits from Debuff oriented sets A draw back to some, the mechanics of PA requires the Ill/ Controller to work harder with its primary set power, especially in larger mob groups. Its even more difficult to manage aggro when people skip Flash, don't properly position Spectral Terror (Spooky) and skip GI or take it late in the game.

With all this in mind I look at Ill/* pairs in these main favorable categories:

• Sets with recharge buffs
    • /Kin
    • /Rad
    • /Time
  • Sets with high LoTG slotting
    • /Cold
    • /FF
  • Sets with FF IO slotting
    • /FF
    • Storm
  • Sets with Debuffs
    • /Cold
    • /Dark
    • /Poison
    • /Rad
    • /Storm
    • /Time
    • /Traps
    • /TA
  • Sets with Controls
    • /Cold
    • /Dark
    • /FF
    • /Poison
    • /Rad
    • /Storm
    • /Time
    • /Traps
    • /TA

From my personal experience and preference, the more categories a set appears in the better the synergy. I'm not discount the remaining pairings of /EA, /Emp, /NA, /Pain, /Sonic and /Thermal, these pair well with Illusion/ too.

Incredible write up. Everything seems really compelling now!! The only challenge I have at the moment is making a name and concept for my character.

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

1 hour ago, 5099y_74c05 said:

You are most welcome! What did you go with?

I feel Traps has the best synergy. You've definitely made me want to check out Cold Domination and Storm Summoning though.

All on Everlasting

Ah, this is all excellent news. I've never played an Ill/ controller, but have been looking for something other than the old standard of /rad or /kin to pair it with. I had just about decided on /traps and this thread sealed that. Just to confirm, setting traps does not break S. Invis, does it? Also, do the DEF bonuses from G Invis and and S Invis stack on the caster?

This is the build i go with my illu/rad.

I can solo most at 4/8.

http://www.cohplanner.com/mids/download.php?uc=1535&c=701&a=1402&f=HEX&dc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

This is a little easier to read.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Rufus: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Illusion Control
Secondary Power Set: Radiation Emission
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blind -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(3), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(5), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(7)
Level 1: Radiant Aura -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Pnc-Heal(7), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(9), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(9), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 2: Deceive -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(11), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(13), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(13), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(15), CrcPrs-Conf%(21)
Level 4: Radiation Infection -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(17), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(17), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(19), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(19)
Level 6: Accelerate Metabolism -- PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(A), EffAdp-EndMod(21), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(50)
Level 8: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(23), LucoftheG-Def(25)
Level 10: Fly -- Flight-I(A)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(27)
Level 18: Phantom Army -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(23), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(29), SlbAll-Build%(31), SlbAll-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31)
Level 20: Lingering Radiation -- PcnoftheT--Rchg%(A), PcnoftheT-Acc/EndRdx(27)
Level 22: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25)
Level 24: Kick -- TchofDth-Dam%(A)
Level 26: Spectral Terror -- SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprOvrPrs-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(33), SprOvrPrs-EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(33), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(34)
Level 28: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(37), GldArm-End/Res(37)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 32: Phantasm -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(34), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(36), ExpStr-Dam%(36), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(37)
Level 35: Poisonous Ray -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(40), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(42)
Level 38: EM Pulse -- UnbCns-Dam%(A), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(42), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(42), UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(43), UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold(45)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- Rct-ResDam%(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43), Rct-Def/Rchg(43), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(45), Rct-Def/EndRdx(45)
Level 44: Disruptor Blast -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(46), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(48), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(48)
Level 47: Summon Tarantula -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(48), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Superior Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(31)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15)
Level 50: Agility Total Radial Revamp 
Level 50: Ageless Total Radial Invocation 
Level 50: Ion Total Radial Judgement 
Level 50: Assault Total Radial Graft 
Level 50: Degenerative Total Core Conversion 
------------

Edited by dsrghrom

2 hours ago, therealtitanman said:

just wonder you guys go with ill/storm got with spectral or skip?

Not sure if you're referring to Spectral Wounds or Spectral Terror, but I wouldn't skip either.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 10/27/2020 at 10:43 PM, JawGod said:

How do you even play an Illusion/Traps controller? I feel so ineffectual when I tried it.

If you're me, you run with Speed of Sound and Superior Invisibility on at all times, drop PA to get the attention of the mobs, then while they're distracted, Jaunt behind them and drop Mines on the bad guys.  

It never gets old.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

4 hours ago, therealtitanman said:

just wonder you guys go with ill/storm got with spectral or skip?

Think of it this way - if a secondary had a Targeted AoE stun that increased the whole team's DEF(All) 10% and was available virtually every mob (even unslotted), we would all probably find room in our build for that power. 

Spectral Terror does Fear instead of stun, and chunks out 15% -ToHit instead of +Def, but in practice these are essentially the same effects.  Even when mobs resist -ToHIt, they're still affected by it, and Spectral Terror has two powers that could apply the -15%, so it's possible some are getting debuffed more than 15%.  

Edited by roleki

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

9 hours ago, roleki said:

Think of it this way - if a secondary had a Targeted AoE stun that increased the whole team's DEF(All) 10% and was available virtually every mob (even unslotted), we would all probably find room in our build for that power. 

Spectral Terror does Fear instead of stun, and chunks out 15% -ToHit instead of +Def, but in practice these are essentially the same effects.  Even when mobs resist -ToHIt, they're still affected by it, and Spectral Terror has two powers that could apply the -15%, so it's possible some are getting debuffed more than 15%.  

i see. ty. does anyone slot sovereign right pet aura or just skip it. 

On 10/27/2020 at 2:56 AM, Greycat said:

I'm generally not a fan of illusion, honestly (... despite having a few,) but I've got to say Poison and Storm are my favourites to play...

Could you elaborate as to why? I realize that the start is really slow and it does not really pick up until 18 but I would like to know why you dislike it.

On 10/31/2020 at 2:09 AM, VV said:

Ah, this is all excellent news. I've never played an Ill/ controller, but have been looking for something other than the old standard of /rad or /kin to pair it with. I had just about decided on /traps and this thread sealed that. Just to confirm, setting traps does not break S. Invis, does it? Also, do the DEF bonuses from G Invis and and S Invis stack on the caster?

Correct, setting traps doesn't break Invisibility...  and the Def bonuses from the two DO stack.

12 hours ago, therealtitanman said:

i see. ty. does anyone slot sovereign right pet aura or just skip it. 

The pet auras only benefits Phantasm, who is pretty squishy either way. Plan to resummon him alot.

13 hours ago, Sykar said:

Could you elaborate as to why? I realize that the start is really slow and it does not really pick up until 18 but I would like to know why you dislike it.

Not sure about Greycat, but for me, when I play a controller, I have preferred to have more direct control rather than rely on the pets. But, now I want to try an Illusion.

• Thanks 1