Mandela Effect

Solarverse

Just now, Mopery said:

As humans our memories tend to be faulty, we often misremember things and simply the act of remembering can alter our memories. This is the reason why the so-called "Mandela Effect" is so ridiculous.

Have you ever played Lord of the Rings Online? In both pve and pvmp many teams used markers like you're describing to designate tank, healer, etc. My tribe leader in LOTRO pvmp liked using it to target enemy healers rather than players in our group.

I've played CoH since launch and don't have any memory of this in the game, but as my opening statement says, I could be misremembering or could simply have forgotten about "that one time"...

Yeah, I don't believe in the Mandela Effect at all. It's a fun idea, but don't believe in it. It was simply a fitting title. I do however believe my brain is just confusing SWTOR for this game though. Pretty sure I have solved the mystery, heh.

On 11/1/2020 at 9:11 PM, Vanden said:

The Mission Exit button wasn't in the game when I started, which was i3, but it was added shortly after, as I recall, so probably i4 or i5 at the latest.

I started during the European beta which was middle of I3 iirc, and I want to say it was there.

On 11/1/2020 at 10:27 AM, Twisted Toon said:

It didn't exist at the launch of the game in 2004.

I don't recall when it was instituted, but it was well after the launch of the game.

And the 'fun' of having to run down four floors of an office or lab map to get out of a mission, and the controllers not bothering to resummon their pets on each floor (because they used to die at the elevators when you went up and had to be resummoned), then running into a spawn you missed on the way up and faceplanting because your pets weren't out...

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned WoW yet, which is where I frequently use the object markers feature.  Tanks usually get the blue square or orange circle (a.k.a. "the condom"), or put a skull over the primary target for focused fire, and the red X over the secondary target.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

About the exit button, I have went through the first 9 issues and their patch notes, I could not find ANYWHERE where the exit button was added. Was it added pre issue 1 as a quick fix or something? I remember specifically not having the exit button, so it would have had to be sometime between launch and issue 1?

37 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned WoW yet, which is where I frequently use the object markers feature.  Tanks usually get the blue square or orange circle (a.k.a. "the condom"), or put a skull over the primary target for focused fire, and the red X over the secondary target.

Yup. With Certain mods installed they're also used for boss mechanics where it's "X player has a bomb effect on them" and you either move or don't move depending on what type of mechanic it is (like for flame wreathe you stood still but for others you'd move it to the edge of the boss arena and drop the effect there).

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

About the exit button, I have went through the first 9 issues and their patch notes, I could not find ANYWHERE where the exit button was added. Was it added pre issue 1 as a quick fix or something? I remember specifically not having the exit button, so it would have had to be sometime between launch and issue 1?

I had previously done a similarly-fruitless search, which is why I added it to this thread.

You can add a waypoint marker above someone's head, it just sets distance but can highlight were they are with an arrow.  As they move it will stay on them not the spot they were at, it stays on them until about 100 ft and then disappears.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

12 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

You can add a waypoint marker above someone's head, it just sets distance but can highlight were they are with an arrow.  As they move it will stay on them not the spot they were at, it stays on them until about 100 ft and then disappears.

I myself use this quite often, especially when teams I am on have shown a tendency to split two or even three ways...my ass is going where the Tank goes so I mark the Tank with a waypoint and I stay safe, heh.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tiger Shadow said:

Before the Exit Mission button was added, clicking on the mission title would take you out. This wasn't documented anywhere, so you had to hear it from other players, or find it on the forums.

Specifically it was in the Nav Window; the mission title would change to Mission Complete, and the objective text would say "Click here to exit" or something like that; it was extremely easy to miss, hence the change to an actual button.

• Thanks 1