Mandela Effect

Solarverse

I remember a time (maybe even a short time) where we could place a marker above a player's head on our team so that we could keep track of the Tank, or the Healer, or so forth. You could choose between a shield or a cross or any other symbol that represented a specific class. However, if memory serves, it was really upsetting players because they did not like having the marker above their heads so this was eventually removed as an option.

Now, this is what I remember. However, anyone I have tried talking to about this has no memory of this whatsoever. Am I experiencing a Mandela Effect here, am I remembering something that most people have forgotten, I just have a better memory, or am I thinking of a different game and confusing it for this game?

8 minutes ago, Lines said:

I know this is a thing in SWTOR, probably others too, but I'm 90% it's never been in CoH.

I have the archetype icon above people's heads switched on at all times... Maybe it's that?

If it was any other game, it would have possibly been DCUO, mayyyybe CO...but I am almost positive it was this game.

I don't recall ever seeing that in this game. Others, yeah. Not here though.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

It might have been another game then. But i seem to recall running Frostfire and team mates kept changing the icon above the Tank's head, he ended up getting ticked off and quit the team because it was driving him insane. It was not long after that, the option was removed. I seem to recall that option only lasting maybe 2 weeks tops before the Devs took it away because players were abusing the hell out of it. If it was this game, it wouldn't have lasted any longer than a couple of weeks before it was removed. I believe it was being done on a trial basis to begin with, just to see if people would be responsible with it or if they would abuse it. Well...you know...people.

Again, it might not have been this game, but my memory of it being this game is so strong it's driving me crazy.

6 hours ago, Solarverse said:

If it was any other game, it would have possibly been DCUO, mayyyybe CO...but I am almost positive it was this game.

I don't think so, Solar.

You can do that in Aion. I'm almost 100% certain that we've never had a feature like that in the City.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

34 minutes ago, tidge said:

Here is my own Mandela Effect: I don't remember the "Mission Exit" button existing at launch. I have no idea if this was true, or if it just took me some time to discover it!

It didn't exist at the launch of the game in 2004.

I don't recall when it was instituted, but it was well after the launch of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Solarverse said:

It might have been another game then. But i seem to recall running Frostfire and team mates kept changing the icon above the Tank's head, he ended up getting ticked off and quit the team because it was driving him insane. It was not long after that, the option was removed. I seem to recall that option only lasting maybe 2 weeks tops before the Devs took it away because players were abusing the hell out of it. If it was this game, it wouldn't have lasted any longer than a couple of weeks before it was removed. I believe it was being done on a trial basis to begin with, just to see if people would be responsible with it or if they would abuse it. Well...you know...people.

Interesting.  Any idea when this might have been?  I could see people messing around with it if it were added after launch (I mean, I certainly would have), but I'd also expect there'd be some heated forum fallout from it.  It might still be in the archived version of the pre-sunset forums somewhere - link below.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120904100456/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/index.php

Disclaimer:  I didn't start playing until early January 2006.

Edited by TheOtherTed

34 minutes ago, Twisted Toon said:

It didn't exist at the launch of the game in 2004.

I don't recall when it was instituted, but it was well after the launch of the game.

Yeah, I spent a little time going through the "when was that added?" post here (in guides) and didn't see mention of it.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

What would be helpful is if I knew what it was called (if it was even this game) that would be extremely helpful. I could then at least do a google search. It would be even more helpful if an original Dev played this game and they could confirm...even if they did not say they were an Original Dev, heh.

Edited by Solarverse

17 minutes ago, TheOtherTed said:

Interesting.  Any idea when this might have been?  I could see people messing around with it if it were added after launch (I mean, I certainly would have), but I'd also expect there'd be some heated forum fallout from it.  It might still be in the archived version of the pre-sunset forums somewhere - link below.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120904100456/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/index.php

Disclaimer:  I didn't start playing until early January 2006.

Now granted, this is if my memories are correct about it even being in this game to begin with, however, it would have been before the re-work in the Hollows. Since I didn't go to Hollows much after the rework. I preferred the original Hollows and when it changed I stopped going there...until the game came back that is.

Edited by Solarverse

The only time I could think of it coming in would be when they added the 'coins' to the top of contact heads, etc. (and later (?) an option to turn them off.)

If it was in game, yeah, that had to be a *really* short time...

7 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Now granted, this is if my memories are correct about it even being in this game to begin with, however, it would have been before the re-work in the Hollows. Since I didn't go to Hollows much after the rework. I preferred the original Hollows and when it changed I stopped going there...until the game came back that is.

Yeesh, that's a big window...  If I'm channelling the internet gods correctly, that would have been late May 2008.  Any way to narrow that down?

...and why am I so invested in this all of a sudden? 🤔

Just now, TheOtherTed said:

Yeesh, that's a big window...  If I'm channelling the internet gods correctly, that would have been late May 2008.  Any way to narrow that down?

...and why am I so invested in this all of a sudden? 🤔

I just remember them being icons above the heads of players. You could right click on a player's name in your team list, then there would be an option to ad a marker above their head, and then there would be another drop down that let you choose which marker you wanted there. So if it was the Tank you wanted to keep track of, you would place the Shield marker. If it was the blaster, you would place the Blaster icon. There there were other random symbols as well. Like a diamond, or a circle, or a square, so on.

Like I said, it did not even last a solid two weeks from what I can remember, the Devs removed the function almost as fast as they added it. I was kind of ticked that players couldn't be responsible with it, because it was a huge help...when done by responsible players that is, heh.

The only other MMOs that I have played are Age of Conan, Matrix Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars The Old Republic (Hmmmmm....maybe it was that game and I am just getting it confused with this one. That is a huge possibility...but dammit, my brain won't stop telling me that it was this one) World or Warcraft, Asheron's Call, Lord of the Rings, DC Universe, Champions Online, Black Desert and Star Trek Online.

But...the more I am thinking of it, I am starting to think my brain is confusing that option from Star Wars The Old Republic for this game. The mystery might have been solved.

And if so, I am very sorry for sending everyone on this wild goose chase. If I am right, then maybe some day, somebody can find this thread and confirm.

As humans our memories tend to be faulty, we often misremember things and simply the act of remembering can alter our memories. This is the reason why the so-called "Mandela Effect" is so ridiculous.

Have you ever played Lord of the Rings Online? In both pve and pvmp many teams used markers like you're describing to designate tank, healer, etc. My tribe leader in LOTRO pvmp liked using it to target enemy healers rather than players in our group.

I've played CoH since launch and don't have any memory of this in the game, but as my opening statement says, I could be misremembering or could simply have forgotten about "that one time"...

What, me worry?