Facebook, Youtube, Prism live Studio and my character

OminousUndead

Good evening,

I have a question about using Facebook, Youtube, Prism live Studio and my character. Can I record my game play and use it on my social media pages? I have created a character named Madam Vice President as a nod to the current political climate and pending presidential transitioning. 

Edited by OminousUndead
trying to insert video

I'm afraid that what you're proposing would be a violation of the Homecoming Terms of Use:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/8647-a-note-on-streaming/?tab=comments#comment-229958

However, not that I am endorsing any of the other servers operating out there, but I don't believe they have the same restriction in place.  

Food for thought.

6 minutes ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

I'm afraid that what you're proposing would be a violation of the Homecoming Terms of Use:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/8647-a-note-on-streaming/?tab=comments#comment-229958

However, not that I am endorsing any of the other servers operating out there, but I don't believe they have the same restriction in place.  

Food for thought.

Well that sucks

1 minute ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

The ban is likely to be lifted when/if negotiations with ncsoft are concluded successfully.

There's absolutely no E.T.A. on that, though, as far I'm aware.  Hell!   As far as I'm aware, said negotiations may have barely started.

So is the game semi-illegal?

10 minutes ago, OminousUndead said:

So is the game semi-illegal?

Most private servers are technically illegally set up by their owners... the HC team just happens to not only be in the situation where they can buy the rights to the game in question, but also have the funds and support needed to attempt to buy them.

For clarity's sake:  None of the City of Heroes servers currently in operation are (again, to the best of my knowledge) legitimate or (strictly speaking) legal.

But international law, intellectual property law, and not-for-profit/charity status laws make for an interesting conflux of unprecedented territory when it comes to video games like this, and we haven't been shut down yet.

Worst case scenario, an indisputable Cease and Desist hits Homecoming, and they have to shut down.  That would suck something fierce, but while all us players would very likely lose everything we've contributed to the servers here in terms of characters, content, and gameplay progress, it's very unlikely that any kind of legal backlash would reach us personally. 

Additionally, the game is "out in the wild" since the leak last year, so . . . 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVF9lZ-i_ss

On 11/10/2020 at 6:45 PM, CrudeVileTerror said:

For clarity's sake:  None of the City of Heroes servers currently in operation are (again, to the best of my knowledge) legitimate or (strictly speaking) legal.

But international law, intellectual property law, and not-for-profit/charity status laws make for an interesting conflux of unprecedented territory when it comes to video games like this, and we haven't been shut down yet.

Worst case scenario, an indisputable Cease and Desist hits Homecoming, and they have to shut down.  That would suck something fierce, but while all us players would very likely lose everything we've contributed to the servers here in terms of characters, content, and gameplay progress, it's very unlikely that any kind of legal backlash would reach us personally. 

Additionally, the game is "out in the wild" since the leak last year, so . . . 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVF9lZ-i_ss

Well, they deleted my character's name. They are saying the name is "real world" and the NAME of a political figure. It's not even a name. 

This is going to be a curveball suggestion, but if I wanted to use a really good costume creator for screenshots and videos that I was going to use for an out of game project but not for the game itself, I would use Champions Online.   Their costume creator has way more customization options than CoH and they even have a room in the costume store inside the powerhouse that is full greenscreen. 

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

• 2 years later

This has been covered in other threads as well. There are still guidelines you have to adhere by when streaming which are covered here:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/code-of-conduct/#video-policy

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 11/10/2020 at 4:11 PM, OminousUndead said:

Good evening,

I have a question about using Facebook, Youtube, Prism live Studio and my character. Can I record my game play and use it on my social media pages? I have created a character named Madam Vice President as a nod to the current political climate and pending presidential transitioning. 

Doing anything political is the worst attention you could draw to Homecoming in my opinion 

The country is in a deep political divide.  There was violence in the last Presidential election.  Any political reference will be taken by some people as a reason to attack.   Definitely not something Homecoming needs or wants

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Totally agree @Snarky...

That being said, as others have mentioned, doing this OP (and @RebeccaHemmings) will in fact violate the terms of service agreement everyone agrees to, to play CoH on HC. Being able to play this game after the official one was shut down (Still upset & sad about that btw, especially how and why it was done), is a gigantic blessing to us all. So in my view, I personally won't do anything that would put that or the HC team in jeopardy. Having this game shut down, even if it was just here, would... hurt. So imho, everyone should just fly under the radar so to speak, and don't draw any unneeded or unwanted attention from NCsoft. Just chill, have fun in this awesome game, and be thankful it is still around for us to enjoy big time. Because quite frankly, it could be far, far worse (especially if people start waving their flag just to say "look at me! Look at me!). For it's not just about you... it's about all of us, and the fantastic community that it is... 🙂

Buff said...

• Like 1

Please come and join us on Friday at 2pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (2pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

To me, this reads as spam. I could be wrong.

5 hours ago, RebeccaHemmings said:

Prism Live Studio can be a useful tool for capturing and streaming your gameplay as well.

Edited by Etched