Orange Inspirations

Akisan

Any chance of a balance pass on orange inspirations?  I've yet to play a toon where I'd consider the orange inspirations to be even comparable to an equivalent purple inspiration, and I can't be the only one.  Feels like most of the people I play with stockpile medium or better purples for hard fights, but immediately burn the oranges.  It's not even hard to see why if you look at the numbers:

Purple (def):  12.5%, 25%, 33%, 50% (soft cap at 45% normally, 59% in incarnate content)

Orange (res):  10%, 15%, 20%, 30%  (up to the AT-specific cap, usually 75%)

Hybrid (def/res): 9.37/7.5, 18.75/11.25, 24.75/15, 33.75/22.5

These numbers aren't even close to equivalent, especially when you note that:

1)  For raw damage reduction, each point of defense is roughly twice as powerful as a point of resistance

and 2)  Defense prevents lots of horrible side effects (like mezzes) and resistance offers no comparable benefit.

While I'd guess there was some reason to make orange inspiration values lower, these values seem way too low for most builds to even consider keeping them in your tray. 

Any thoughts on why they're that low, or perhaps a good way to buff these inspirations (like adding Mez Resist to them or raising their value)?

• Like 2

1 pt of defense is equivalent to about 2 points of resistance.

Defense should be reduced to orange buff numbers and orange should be twice that.

Yellow needs a reduction in drop rate.

Edited by Zepp

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Oranges are delicious!  Oh the inspirations, not the fruit.

Rugged's and the like can be decent for building up resists you're weak to.... esp for attacks that simply DO NOT MISS, like some of the First Ward / Awakened. Or if you know you're GOING to be hit by a solid WALL of Defense Debuffs.  Sometimes, you want good resistances, or a healer buddy, or a controller buddy, or better yet, both. But these are pretty situational at best.  Luck's are hands-down useful in like 90%+ of content, regardless of AT or powerset. Rugged's simply can't say the same.

Do I think some of the numbers should be swapped?  Yes. 

Do I feel a bit hypocritcal saying that after having leveraged lucks to get certain characters through content?  Yes.

So I vote: "Abstain".

I vote boost orange numbers a bit without nerfing purples and add in resist debuffs (thinking ~10, 15, 25, 33%) and resist mez (~50, 100, 150, 200%) so that while you still have to deal with getting hit with the debuffs and mezs that may have missed you had you used a purple, they'd at least be less effective against you.

I'd say that'd give them some use even for people near the resist cap since few have all their debuff resist maxed unless using ageless radial destiny.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zepp said:

1 pt of defense is equivalent to abot 2 points of resistance.

Defense should be reduced to orange buff numbers and orange should be twice that.

Yellow needs a reduction in drop rate.

Inspirations definitely don't need a buff in any capacity. Purples should probably be brought down to similar impact levels as oranges, but I don't think that would fly with anyone (myself included). Purples are absolutely overpowered, but they also help alot for characters that aren't fully equipped to handle higher difficulties before factoring in IOs.

Also just turn off Yellow insps from p2w vendor as soon as accuracy is no longer an issue for your character. Basically the first thing I do upon hitting level 50, so I never see them again.

Currently on fire.

56 minutes ago, DreadShinobi said:

Inspirations definitely don't need a buff in any capacity. Purples should probably be brought down to similar impact levels as oranges,

Wait, so: 5%, 7.5%, 10%, 15% for purples? Sorry, that is way too low (and I thought my 10%, 15%, 20%, 30% proposal was a nerf stick...)

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

I'd agree, most inspirations probably don't need a buff, @DreadShinobi. But Oranges are nearly underpowered to the point of being trash, except in very, very specific circumstances.  Bringing them up to the standard of lucks would probably be 20/40/60/80 (Very larges overcap most builds, just like lucks do), plus some debuff resistance on top of it, since those values are still below luck's damage reduction values, and you're still eating all those debuffs since you're not avoiding attacks.

Whether or not the resist values get buffed, an inspiration to resist debuffs would be very welcomed, if only to offset the stacks and stacks of -rech certain enemy groups can put on you (Frostfire's extra bad with this, him and his pet both have -60% recharge auras).  Being able to pop an inspiration to escape being stuck at -120% recharge (capped at -75, not that it matters much at that point) would be very welcome, especially since not even Break Frees will let you escape that situation (since they only break Mezzes). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Akisan said:

I'd agree, most inspirations probably don't need a buff, @DreadShinobi. But Oranges are nearly underpowered to the point of being trash, except in very, very specific circumstances.  Bringing them up to the standard of lucks would probably be 20/40/60/80 (Very larges overcap most builds, just like lucks do), plus some debuff resistance on top of it, since those values are still below luck's damage reduction values, and you're still eating all those debuffs since you're not avoiding attacks.

Whether or not the resist values get buffed, an inspiration to resist debuffs would be very welcomed, if only to offset the stacks and stacks of -rech certain enemy groups can put on you (Frostfire's extra bad with this, him and his pet both have -60% recharge auras).  Being able to pop an inspiration to escape being stuck at -120% recharge (capped at -75, not that it matters much at that point) would be very welcome, especially since not even Break Frees will let you escape that situation (since they only break Mezzes). 

YES!!  This would be a most welcome change to the trashy orange inspirations.