So much darkness. Help me pick which one to embrace.

Sakai

About 8 months ago I became enamored with Dark Armour, a set I had ignored on Live.  Has it all...soft controls, debuffs, damage aura, a kick ass heal and a totally skippable power (yes I am looking at you Oppressive Gloom).  Have 5 in total now the last may become my main. Her story is far from complete but now that she has saved the world from Mot (and I accept your unspoken thanks for the efforts and sacrifices undertaken to quietly save all of you) it seemed time to change it up. 

I decided why not try a sentinel out but do not believe I am the mood for another DA right now. 

Then it occurred to me that Darkness is everywhere in all of the ATs. 

Combos I have considered are a Dark/Fire Fender (or the equivalent Corruptor)and a Dark/Storm Troller thus far.  Perhaps a blend of Mastermind or a Dom that  works crazily well or is simply that much fun. Really though I am open to pretty much anything.  Whatever really. 

The only things that are set in stone is the costume I designed last night, the name (which my aged brain doesn't recall right now 😞 but rest assured I think it is clever 🙂 ) and the fact that he has at least hover to float around. 

Sell me on the one you love and we will see what happens. 

Edited by Sakai
  • Like 2

I love my DarkityDarkDark Defender... and my Dark Sentinels (Tav is Dark/Bio, while Shonokin is Dark/WP)... My DarkityDarkSoul "tentacle blaster" is pretty good fun, too. XD

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Thanks 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Nastiest group my friends and I put together (on Live) was the "Twilight Brotherhood".  Your character had to have at least one 'Dark' power.  We ended up with a DM/Willpower scrapper backed by 4 Defenders --> a Cold/Dark, a Dark/Dark, Dark/Archery, and a Sonic/Dark.  We were crushing Faultline arcs vs Arachnos at +4/×8 by our early to mid 20's.  We were are own worst enemy ... too damn potent and got bored.  Don't think, as a group anyway, we got beyond the late 20's.

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ice/dark Corruptors are fun. And yeah, the D3 (D4 to some) Dark/dark/dark defender is classic and can be surprisingly tanky.

• Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

8 hours ago, Sakai said:

I decided why not try a sentinel out but do not believe I am the mood for another DA right now. 

Dark/Rad/Psi is the Sentinel you want. Rad Armor's strong resistances synergize well with the ToHit debuffs from the primary. Blackstar with one +5'ed ToHit Debuff SO debuffs by -45% in a 25ft radius for 20 seconds, and will be up every 25-27 seconds on a perma Hasten build. Umbral Torrent is pretty nasty with damage procs and takes the kb2kd and FF proc. Many proc options throughout the build. Single target damage? Check (with Psi epic). AoE damage? Check. Survivable? Absolutely.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

I have a /Dark troller and absolutely love perma Fade, Fluffy, Soul Absorption, and Shadow Fall.

Alot of -regen, -dmg and -to hit makes it nice for bringing enemies down.

This, although Fades 60 second lifetime is a bit annoying.

Carni is an Illusion/Dark which means lots of pets and oodles of -ToHit. Downside is focused damage. Your pets will target whatever they feel like. But most controllers suffer badly from that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carnifax said:

This, although Fades 60 second lifetime is a bit annoying.

Carni is an Illusion/Dark which means lots of pets and oodles of -ToHit. Downside is focused damage. Your pets will target whatever they feel like. But most controllers suffer badly from that.

One of the reasons I refuse to take Illusion, it is more chaos than control and frankly its a "safe" primary to take because, the pets can be perma, are indestructible, and taunt.

I dont mind the 60 sec push a button for perma, I do the same with hasten, and Active Defense on Shield, plus, there are other powers like it so no biggie.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

16 hours ago, Sakai said:

Sell me on the one you love and we will see what happens. 

Dark Control is one of the best Control sets in the game, with extra damage (better procs in the AoE Immob, Haunt, and the ability to proc out the Stun for good PBAoE damage). It also has a varied suite of controls, and the best secondary effect (-ToHit).

I think I would recommend it on a Dominator, as the extra strong defensive ability is useful for them while Controllers are already very strong on defense. Right now I'm running a Dark/Savage and it's doing great, but Dark will work with pretty much any Assault set. Because the Stun is PBAoE it does better, though, on melee-oriented sets like Martial, Earth, Energy, and Savage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carnifax said:

That would be a subjective opinion, I think.

Some Illusion Controllers would welcome the chaos of PA, since they're the ones tanking for the team.

I did back on live with my Illusion/FF controller.

They distracted everything else while I kept two or three bosses busy.

Of course, I appropriately named my PA, Chaos, Mayhem and Pandemonium.

Settled on a Dark/Dark Troller. Have never used either set and if I did probably not very far. 

I'm enjoying locking things down and watching the DoT ticks melt away baddies. 

What is the story when it says Overpowered?  Dmg or Mezz Magnitude is what I am thinking. 

The name, as it turns out, is Baron Von Bunny.

I chose not to fly, atleast not for now.  (If I do I will use CJ and Flight this time so I can stop on a dime.  That looks cool and haven't done that since Live.)  Considering playing with the combat tp.  Pop around the field looking for mischief. That sounds fun. 

Spent the last hour and a half designing my level 6's second costume and the backstory seems to be developing. That is always a good sign.  

Thanks again everybody. 

If you bump into me out there please feel free to throw pointers my way. 

Edited by Sakai

A poison/dark defender is the only defender I ever really have been able to take a shine to.  It helps a lot that while you have a spot heal and single target buff (anti-mez) that are nothing to write home about, just about all the rest of your powers are aimed at the enemy,  Poison is a pleasant debuff set to play; no worrying about 'anchors', you just fire at whatever you target and the debuff spreads to neighboring mobs.  Nicely unfussy and useful. 

• Thanks 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

7 hours ago, Sakai said:

What is the story when it says Overpowered?  Dmg or Mezz Magnitude is what I am thinking

It's Mez magnitude. Basically lets you crit your mezzes to Mez a boss in one application.

Remember you'll do double damage to mezzed things (except for attacks in your epic pool cos the original Devs nerfed them into the ground) so something like Arcane Bolt can help with your damage. 

• Thanks 1

I posted about my experience with a Dark/Dark dominator in the dom forum.  TLDR = felt a bit awkward and weak to me, given the strongest attacks require you to be in melee and still have relatively lengthy animations (my Dark/Savage dom plays much better).   I'd not move dark/dark dom to the top of your list. 

• Thanks 1