How the heck do I convince myself to make a Corruptor?

Chompie

18 hours ago, ghotistix said:

OK, so, I get it that when CoV hit, if you wanted to play a red-side defender you had to roll a corrupter. And that's fine. At the time, I liked that the red-side version was a little more offense and a bit less defense, That works with the whole "villain" thing. Now, however, things are different. First we got "going rogue" and now we can just start anything blue-side and so the balance might need to change a bit.

My suggestion, rebalence all the defender and corrupter sets so that defenders get better buff numbers and corrupters get better debuff numbers. That way the only question is "do I want to help my team stay alive longer, or help the enemies die faster?" If you want to help the team live, make a defender. If you want to help the enemies die, make a corrupter.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've always felt like making a defender that had no buff powers was wrong, but the numbers are just so much better for them that I have a hard time making them as corrupters. This rebalance would help create a specific role for both defenders and corrupters (buffers vs debuffers) instead of what we have now which seems to be "defenders are better, except for these few combos that work better for corrupters." What do you guys think?

The problem with your suggestion is that it would leave Dark Miasma, Storm Summoning and Trick Arrow out in the cold for Defenders.

Dark and Storm have only a single power (each) that buffs allies, Trick Arrow lacks even that.

So, they would have no benefit for being on Defenders.

That's not even mentioning the secondary effects of the Blast sets.

• Like 1

For me personally you have to remember that the answer is playstyle. A corruptor is whats known as an OFFENDER an Offensive Defender

where a defender focuses on buffing and healing or debuffing and such THEN attacking to support as needed. A corruptor focuses on ATTACK as the best form of defense. They use their ranged attacks to set up the debuffs  or if theyre a healer (empath Pain) or the like heal to support the team while looking for weak targets to blast with scourge 

Playing a corruptor means you have to be patient look for offensive opportunities to strike so that you maximize your attacks damage while using your support abilities to maximun effect

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

3 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

The problem with your suggestion is that it would leave Dark Miasma, Storm Summoning and Trick Arrow out in the cold for Defenders.

Dark and Storm have only a single power (each) that buffs allies, Trick Arrow lacks even that.

Yes, yes it would, just like ice/*, fire/*, and water/* are the only suggested primaries for corrupters now. How are you "defending" your team when you focus solely on weakening your enemy? You're not, you're "corrupting" the bad guys.

Part of the point of my suggestion is that, yes, some sets would no longer make much sense to use on a defender, just like so many don't benefit from being on a corrupter now. And then, sets like */rad and */sonic, that are split between buff and debuff, the buff part would be better on a defender and the debuff part would be better on a corrupter.

This would give each of these classes a specific and distinct role in the current version of the game instead of corrupters being mostly "not as good as defenders in most cases but almost better in a very few" like we seem to have now.

4 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

Radiation Emission and Cold Domination would be out in the cold for Defenders as well.

I like it!

Seems like at this point it's just splitting min/max hairs really.  I mean, it's not like they aren't both playable anyway.

• Like 3

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Water/storm, fire/dark and ice/time are pretty godlike and make effective use of scourge.

People seriously undervalue corruptors, currently. Their lack of presence in speed runs is inconsequential, they can do really good damage.

Edited by ScarySai
  • Like 4

I actually have a hard time getting into Corrupters too. Because I tend to think of my character as either primarily damage or support. I want to blast damage, I'll go blaster. If I want to be support I'll go Defender. Corrupter is the middle child who gets ignored most of the time.

32 minutes ago, Gentoo said:

Because I tend to think of my character as either primarily damage or support. I want to blast damage, I'll go blaster. If I want to be support I'll go Defender. Corrupter is the middle child who gets ignored most of the time.

That describes ever Corr I've played though: both!  There's no dichotomy here, they can be two things.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

6 hours ago, Gentoo said:

Radiation defenders/corrs who love Vengeance/Fallout would like to have a word with you.... 

a) you didn't mention a resurrection power in that list (in fact, one would be counterproductive)

b) the defenders/corrs had a choice on how to build their character

6 hours ago, Gentoo said:

I actually have a hard time getting into Corrupters too. Because I tend to think of my character as either primarily damage or support. I want to blast damage, I'll go blaster. If I want to be support I'll go Defender. Corrupter is the middle child who gets ignored most of the time.

Not so, Corrupter is the best of both worlds, the healthy balance.

I have found 2 schools of thought when it comes to playing CoH. One is to play your character through TFs, Paper/Radio missions and story arcs. The second school of thought is to powerlevel to 50 in AE and start from there. 
Playing a Corrupter is so much more enjoyable if you play your character through the content because you get your attacks from your primary set much faster. in addition to having the support powers (most support sets are front loaded) to support your team through the content.
If you regularly powerlevel to 50 in AE you will likely not see the benefits of playing a corr since once you are 50 you are just trading a few % of damage for a few % of buff/debuff potential

• Like 1

Corrupters are not the best of both worlds. They are the balance as you say. 

Blasters blast better than corruptors. Defenders buff better than corrupters. Corrupters can do both, true, but do neither as well. Its the jack of all trades I suppose. But I prefer to lean into one aspect or the other. When a blaster, I'm damage incarnate, and when I'm a defender I'm not blasting primarily for damage, but for the secondary effects of the blasts. 

That's why when I do play a corrupter, I never play blast sets with good buffing in them. All my corrs are fire or archery or other such blast sets. But again, those blast sets are better on blasters.

I  have played hundreds of characters, usually abandon them at level 50, and have never power leveled. I always run through the content. I enjoy the low level content, and I enjoy it very much as a defender. My buffs are more useful to the team at these low levels (also true of Controllers who I enjoy teaming with at low levels).

Edited by Gentoo
  • Like 1

To be honest, I have a hard time rolling a Defender! I find their buff/debuff values great but often overkill in a team with *other* support characters where it kind of gets washed out. In that regard, a Corruptor gives "good enough" support on top of the ability to contribute a good chunk of damage time to time with Scourge where it matters. A "proper" damage dealer can often clear fodder esp with your buffs/debuffs, so a Corr can help a lot more over time on hard targets in ways a Defender usually can't.

I feel similarly with MM's where I can have my pets go aggro and focus soley on the secondary in a team. Yes, they support even less but the damage and effects of pets while simultaneously using support powers is just Groovy.

• Like 5

Very few things in the game can actually outdamage a scourged blizzard. 

I'm aware that defenders can do some scary things to a mob's stats, especially if you get into the really overkill things like heatloss>burnout>heat loss, but there is no world where a competent corruptor is outblasted by a defender. Maybe with procs you could get a slight edge due to the extra power behind the -res debuffs, but once the corruptor is scourging rain powers, there is no comparison, the corruptor wins every time.

It's obviously very dependent on the powerset, though. If we're talking something like sonic blast + cold dom, I'd definitely want to be a defender for that. For anything with fire or ice blast, corruptor. For a combo like water/storm, I've heard arguments for defenders, but the reality is that the combo works a lot better on corruptors.

Edited by ScarySai

On 12/28/2020 at 12:25 PM, Chompie said:

Every time I think "Ooh I'm going to make a Corruptor today" I end up with a Defender instead. I can't resist its siren call. I'll look through powers and go "Ooh, this 20% Defense Debuff could be 25% instead! This 11.25% resist aura could be 15%! All I have to do is not pick Corruptor..."
And then boom, suddenly it turns out that I still don't have a Corruptor.

Some of you out there love Corruptors, right? Tell me about how awesome they are!
(preferably how awesome they are without incarnate stuff or fully tricked out with the best sets)

How about this:  If you don't make a Corruptor you have to do the following:

Go to the grocery store and buy the cheapest canned dog food, cat food and tuna.

Then mix them together in a bowl

then eat it all.

• Haha 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!