Thor style character

Texman

Hi all,

I'm curious what everyone thinks would be the best powerset combo to get the feel of a Thor/Thunder God type character.  I've never played war mace and I'm not too big on melee weapons in CoH unless someone can convince me otherwise.  These are some of the combos I am considering:

elec melee/invuln brute

invuln/elec melee tanker

elec/elec blaster

elec/invuln sentinel

or

war mace/elec armor brute

elec armor/ware mace tanker

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

WM/Elec Armor/Mu

Heck, now I'm considering it.

So I've taken all sets I listed in the original post to lvl 10.  They were all pretty good but WM/Elec armor brute hits like an absolute truck lol.  I'm not sure if elec melee ever catches up to WM in dmg but I do like the look and theme of lightning rod.  

If I do decide to go with a WM brute what do you think would pair best with it, elec armor or invuln?

4 hours ago, Texman said:

So I've taken all sets I listed in the original post to lvl 10.  They were all pretty good but WM/Elec armor brute hits like an absolute truck lol.  I'm not sure if elec melee ever catches up to WM in dmg but I do like the look and theme of lightning rod.  

If I do decide to go with a WM brute what do you think would pair best with it, elec armor or invuln?

Depends on what you want.

Both will give you really good survivability. I've played DM/Inv and DM/Elec and done properly the DM/Elec is amazing but that relies on having double endurance recovery and double healing. WM doesn't do healing or endurance recovery like DM does and without that I think Invulnerability is easier to get to godly protection with when paired with WM. But Elec gives you endurance recovery--get low on endurance and you just walk into a group of enemies and fill up your endurance bar. You'll also get a damage aura, but that's a relatively minor consideration. So the question is do you want to have an easier time capping out your survivability or do you want to have an easier time sustaining damage output.

You have to have the Hammer, or it isn't really a "Thor" homage.  So- war mace has got to be part of the package IMO.

To be true to the character, I think a War mace/Invulnerability Brute would be the best choice.  Inv/WM Tanker or WM/Inv Scrapper would also work.

You're going to want to summon lightning too, so you need to take Mu Mastery once you hit the upper levels.

Also, costume has to have a winged helmet, dangit!  Beard is optional.  

Have fun.  😁👍

• Like 1

After more testing I've decided to go with electric melee because it just feels more fun to me.  I'll be pairing it with invulnerability and eventually taking the Mu epic pool.  Question is which archetype would feel most powerful with this combination?

Brute, Tanker, or Scrapper

Not that Marvel Thor isn't cool (been a Thor fan since the late 70s) but there are other gods of thunder out there to draw inspiration from. While I have no intention to start another character at the moment (got a plate full I am trying to work on currently), I did put together costume and power customization for one drawn from other mythology. 

Now to avoid making and playing him.

• 4 weeks later
On 3/6/2021 at 7:55 AM, Texman said:

At level 10 Brutes annihilate all competition since they have a huge damage boost thanks to Fury. By level 22 this difference nearly disappears. My advice is to stick to Tanker since the damage difference is minimal and the toughness is much better.

My own take is definitely an Electric Armor/War Mace if wanting to stick to theme. Too many electric based powers and effects (and FX) from the armor to ignore, and it ain't Thor if there is no hammer. It can be any other god of thunder and lightning out there, but it won't be Thor.

That said Invuln/WM could be fine too, and just add an electric aura in the tailor.

No other AT will really serve. Brutes are squishy to be a Thor, Scrappers even more so, and I cringe at the thought of a Defender/Corruptor Thor getting randomly one-shot due to the squishyness of those ATs.

• 2 weeks later
On 4/6/2021 at 2:20 PM, Sovera said:

I cringe at the thought of a Defender/Corruptor Thor getting randomly one-shot due to the squishyness of those ATs.

Defenders can build up defence like it's nothing. I've seen both corruptors and defenders tank really capably, although it depends a lot on the powerset.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

• 2 weeks later