Suggestion: Mark the rescue guide

I'm here after yet another few rescue missions where the rescuee confuses the fire out of the team by not moving in a pattern that suggests to whom they are connected.  Then 6 of the team end up doing this weaving dance trying to figure out who has the hot potato.  We've also had cases where the rescuee repeatedly drops connection with a guide, and no one knows it, despite the NPC's comment, usually because a big fight is underway, and messages flit across the dialog box quickly.  There's also those cases where someone forgets to turn off a cloaking ability and confuses the NPC, and the team is unaware of it immediately.

So suggestion:  tag the designated guide for the rescuee.  It could be a marker over their heads or a colored shimmering of their form, or something else.  Just something to let us know whom the NPC has picked to follow, and by its absences, let us know when the NPC drops connection. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Like the marker you get for the Underground Incarnate Trial?

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

*Makes alt. Mark the Rescuer.*

And we know there's at least a little tech to "mark" someone (Maelstrom's "marked for death,") but I have no idea how difficult it would be to give that to a non-combat NPC. (Assuming it's "just another power" for a fighting NPC. Might be a different mechanic entirely.)

• Haha 1

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

The rescue-ee could actually say something like "OK, Clave Dark 5, I'll follow, just get me outta here!" or something.  Still, this is barely even a gripe most of the time, I'd rather see the rescu-ee get fixed so they can follow my stalker while in Hide.

• Like 1

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

9 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

The rescue-ee could actually say something like "OK, Clave Dark 5, I'll follow, just get me outta here!" or something.  Still, this is barely even a gripe most of the time, I'd rather see the rescu-ee get fixed so they can follow my stalker while in Hide.

Heck, I'd be happy if they could just follow a character who had a Stealth special in Sprint. <_< 

• Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

A stealth in sprint? How about following someone with Sprint running at all? So often they get too far behind because they're so dumb about navigation....

The inconsistency of it is what really gets me, though. Some combat-pet NPCs can't follow me when I'm stealthed, though most can, but some non-combat NPCs can. I'd really like to see the nominally competent-to-fight ones able to follow consistently.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MTeague said:

Just let me klonk the rescuee / kidnapee over the head and do the fireman's carry. 

Villains/Rogues (even Vigs) should be able to do this!

Edited by Darmian
  • Like 3

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

23 hours ago, adriellyn said:

A stealth in sprint? How about following someone with Sprint running at all? So often they get too far behind because they're so dumb about navigation....

The inconsistency of it is what really gets me, though. Some combat-pet NPCs can't follow me when I'm stealthed, though most can, but some non-combat NPCs can. I'd really like to see the nominally competent-to-fight ones able to follow consistently.

That, too! 😆

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

• 3 months later

They need to add a "fireman's carry" interaction option, where a specific team member can literally pick up the hostage and carry them to safety.  Apply a movement & defense debuff to the one doing the carrying or something, but let us do this!

• Like 2

Well, there's already a static animation for carrying a body bag, so that's a start!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Very good suggestion.. 

Yet another basic thing that just comes out that many have overlooked.

I like both the 'knock the rescue person out and throw them over your shoulder' and the 'Announce the $name that I am following' option.

I think both would be MASSIVE improvements over what is currently used. Also, I really think all non-combat hostages should have a perception boost so they can see through stealth.

On 6/29/2021 at 10:53 AM, Arbegla said:

I like both the 'knock the rescue person out and throw them over your shoulder' and the 'Announce the $name that I am following' option.

No need to knock the person out.  Heck, you could still have them speak (speech bubbles) as you're carrying them out...