Enhancement Diversification

I've been working on a build and for whatever the reason I am only just now finding out that you can build enhancements to +5 at 50. That being said is there an easy way to compute crafted enhancements with ED? For example do I need 3 level 55 damage SO's or would two be equally as good? Trying to figure all this out but the math feels a bit overwhelming at points so I figured I'd appeal to the more experienced crowd in this regard. Thanks in advance!

Marshal Valor

Commander of the 1st Fist of Light

15 minutes ago, Marshal Valor said:

I've been working on a build and for whatever the reason I am only just now finding out that you can build enhancements to +5 at 50. That being said is there an easy way to compute crafted enhancements with ED? For example do I need 3 level 55 damage SO's or would two be equally as good? Trying to figure all this out but the math feels a bit overwhelming at points so I figured I'd appeal to the more experienced crowd in this regard. Thanks in advance!

Three 50+5 SO enhancements will be better than two 50+5 SO enhancements, its just that you will be well past the point of diminishing returns on what else you otherwise could be doing with the slot.

For example, an attack could probably benefit from some Accuracy and Endurance discounts, or perhaps there is a secondary effect worth buffing?

My general rule of thumb is to not use more than two of the same 50+5 SO enhancements in the same power... and if you are starved for Inf, you probably could stop at (two) 50+4.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, tidge said:

My general rule of thumb is to not use more than two of the same 50+5

I do the same, with one exception: Hasten.  If I am trying to get to perma-hasten I will sometimes slot a 3rd or even 4th +5 recharge IOs.  The % improvement is very small, but it may shave 8-10 seconds of the cooldown of hasten.

• Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

However, do *not* forget that if you are lvl 50 and have your alpha slot slotted, you get some advantage that bypasses ED.

Example:

With no alpha slotted, my Hack looks like this:

image.png.fa949d562f27599e55c36205472fc35b.png

Then I slot my T4 musculature, which ignores 2/3 of ED:

image.png.4465bfa99b7eef4d53a2f6d234b30843.png

And now we have:

image.thumb.png.10853b4bb2db46e142c6a20af8b1d3db.png

2/3 of the 33% bonus gets applied directly (22%) and the remainder is affected by ED (so 11% translates to about 1.7%).  Sadly, the "ignore ED" doesn't apply to the entire +damage.

• Thanks 4

Who run Bartertown?

Okay did something change (or is it merely an oversite/oopsy), but while my only internet has been this phone did SO's (Single Origin) enhancements also get the ability to get boosted to +5 rather than +3 ... unlike IOs?

Like, for example, the HO in Headsplitter.

Edited by Doomguide2005
HO added comment

Ive never +5 level boosted an SO when you can use an IO instead. For instance, a level 50+5 EndMod IO in Stamina that with a level 50 Performance Shifter Chance for +Endurance is pretty darn sweet for 2 slots. And the Hami O change makes it so that when you combine 2 like Hami O's you dont  get a 50+ Hami O, you get a level 51. you can do that two more times up to lvl 53.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

8 hours ago, KC4800 said:

Ive never +5 level boosted an SO when you can use an IO instead. For instance, a level 50+5 EndMod IO in Stamina that with a level 50 Performance Shifter Chance for +Endurance is pretty darn sweet for 2 slots. And the Hami O change makes it so that when you combine 2 like Hami O's you dont  get a 50+ Hami O, you get a level 51. you can do that two more times up to lvl 53.

Why not use a +5'd performance shifter endmod only set IO?  Then you get 7.5% movespeed boost as well.

5 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Strange almost positive you could do HO's to 50+++ on Live but long since lost the drives with my old builds on them nevermind my lack of functional computer these days.

They were just 50++, but I thought the same thing because I mixed it up with the level cap on SOs.  You could boost them to 50++ which were equal to level 52s.  Just like you could boost your SOs to 50++ but everyone still wanted level 53 SO drops

2 hours ago, merrypessimist said:

Why not use a +5'd performance shifter endmod only set IO?  Then you get 7.5% movespeed boost as well.

A boosted common Enhancement scales to all levels, a boosted piece from an enhancement set will cut out if you exemplar for content below level 47. The cutout does not apply to any boosts applied to the Very Rare or PVP sets.

14 minutes ago, tidge said:

A boosted common Enhancement scales to all levels, a boosted piece from an enhancement set will cut out if you exemplar for content below level 47. The cutout does not apply to any boosts applied to the Very Rare or PVP sets.

Do you mean the set bonuses disappear or the enhancer stops working altogether?

My understanding is that there are various points of Exemplar at which they cease to work, it is listed in the Enhancement description. Some of mine are good down to the teens, others in the 20's, 50+ purple sets at 47. Others Vary, I made a second build using the lower sets for Flashback and Lower level Taskforces. This may be different when boosting, I don't as I would rather have Attuned.

Edited by Marine X

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

18 minutes ago, Marine X said:

This may be different when boosting, I don't as I would rather have Attuned

I would like to suggest looking into https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Multiple_Builds if you weren't already aware of them.

You can have three different builds for whatever purposes you want. For example, you can have one build optimized for maximum power at level 50, no compromises. And another set up to exemplar down gracefully to any level for teaming and TF's, etc. And even a third to bet set up for PvP.

Edited by Andreah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tidge said:

A boosted common Enhancement scales to all levels, a boosted piece from an enhancement set will cut out if you exemplar for content below level 47.

Any enhancement provides the enhancement at all levels.  A level 50 IO from a set provides exactly the same benefit as a level 50 common IO and scales exactly the same.

Only the set bonus will 'cut out' if you exemplar below level 47 (for a level 50 set piece).

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

To add to what @Ironbladestated.  All enhancements provide  at least some benefit all the way down to level one.  This applies only to the base enhancement not to set bonuses or other global effects.  Whether the IO is single, double, triple or quad aspect does effect how or if they scale the base enhancement benefit.  If you are level 33+ and exemp to level 32+ you base enhancement values are uneffected by exemplar.  ED or diminishing returns comes into play after any scaling of the base enhancement values occur.  Sets generally until you are more than 3 under the IOs level.  

Lunch time over