does brute need taunt?

seihyup kim

Definitely maybe.

It depends how you play and who you play with.  I never skip taunt, the power, on a tank, because I feel that is an essential job of the tank.  A brute can be an off-tank, or even a main tank for a team.  Some of my brutes took taunt, some didn't and I wouldn't expect any brute I played with to have it, but it's nice when they do.

• Like 2

Not particularly, CoH/V has a different taunt system.  If you roll a dark armor up to say 35 and stand in a Skull pack with the stun/fear toggles rolling, they will eventually run off once outside the aura.  Or even killing one with any attack, the left over homies just bolt. even my 50 fire controller will chase them off if I run Hotfeet but only snagged a couple, rest of the homies just run off. Now roll an Electric control with a Controller/Dominator, get the PBAoE electric toggle that is +rec/recharge....and Skulls don't run off for some reason; this is a support AT.  Toonw as like 15, while the skulls where 1-3....just kept trying to hit him and they didn't run while they moshed pit around him.  

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

23 hours ago, seihyup kim said:

does brute have to have taunt skill?

It depends on what you want your role to be.  Do you want to mainly be a damage dealer?  Then no, you don't need Taunt.  Do you want to mainly be a tank?  Then yes, you need Taunt.

Taunt also has the -75% range component. Even if you're not using it to secure aggro for a team, it is still a useful tool for ranged pulling when engaging with multiple spawns and clumping multiple spawns closer together.

Taunt IO sets also have some nice set bonuses if you have slots to spare. With 3 slots you can get Tox/Psi resist, regen, and 5% rchg from Perfect Zinger. With 5 slots and Mocking Beratement, you can get +end, S/L resist, S/L defense, F/C def, and 7.5% rchg. Of course it also works just fine with base slot, but those can be some nice set bonuses to snag for most build goals.

Currently on fire.

Taunt is an incredible power.  In fact it is one of the most effective mob control powers in the game, even better than Hold in many/most instances.

Brutes do not need it (unless doing specific "Tanking" tasks in Trials/TFs)

Back in the mists of time we were given the boon of City of Villains.  Brutes appeared in the Rogue Isles.  They were powerful, they were mighty, they were....really freaking low on energy.

You see, back then there was no inherent Fitness pool (that we all get for free now)  Brutes had to get Health and Stamina by paying for it with picks.  And wasnt there a third pick in that pool to unlock Stamina?  Been a looooong time.  

To get a Travel Power you needed to pick up a prerequisite in the travel pool.  I almost always took the punch attack from flying, then flight.  That is 5 power picks gone.  You see where Taunt became a real luxury on Redside.  tanks might get away with having fewer attacks, but people rolled Brutes to be "the melee guy"

So, combine the above build squeeze with the fact that Brutes gain a LOT of damage potential by getting hit "drawing agro" and Redside players quickly discovered that if a Brute cannonballed into a fresh spawn they would suddenly have a full Fury bar.  

On teams this evolved into a situation where a Brute would run to a fresh spawn and jump in.  The team would then blast/drop crowd control/wipe up.  If there were two Brutes (or experienced players on other ATs) then there inevitable would be a second "combat zone" that developed as that player(s) moved onto a completely different group of enemies.  Everybody wants to jump in and kill baddies, no one loves cleanup duty.

This evolved into the ROFLSTOMP Redside teams that operated with no Taunt needed.  Portions of a team jumping out further into the mission starting a new combat as the other part of the team finished mopping up an area.  Then the moppers would either jump to a new area of move in to clean up the mess of the lead teams agro.

Then we got "Going Rogue" and everyone got Brutes!  We also got inherent Stamina and no need for a 2 pick into travel pools.  But Brute builders had long since realized Taunt was a luxury (that just reduced DPS...) and many never take it in their builds.

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

You see, back then there was no inherent Fitness pool (that we all get for free now)  Brutes had to get Health and Stamina by paying for it with picks.  And wasnt there a third pick in that pool to unlock Stamina?  Been a looooong time.  

Stamina only required you to pick up hurdle and health. Nobody took swift because hurdle was the bees knees. Getting Hurdle, Health, and Stamina as inherent was great, but getting Swift on top was even better cause it was a pick you never took anyways, so everyone got that extra bit of unsuppressed movement speed on top of what they were already used to.

Currently on fire.

I would argue that it really depends on your Armor set if 'Taunt' is required or not.

All of the armor sets get a 'Taunt Aura' either in the form of your damage aura (think Fire Armor, Dark Armor, Elec Armor, etc) or in the form of 'This power scales with mobs in range' like Rise to the Challenge in Willpower, and Invincibility in Invuln. The Damage auras produce more 'threat' then the non-damage ones due to the threat equation, but if you hit with a debuff, you produce decent 'threat' as well. With your taunt aura, you're able to hold threat on most things pretty easily, so Taunt isn't required at all.

Now, for armor sets that don't have a damage aura AND don't have a debuff attached to their taunt aura (I think SR, Regen, there might be more) it'll be harder to hold threat, so you might notice that Taunt helps you keep threat on your targets, especially in an AoE setting. Brutes also get 'Poke-voke' which means that all of their attacks have a 'Taunt' effect, increasing their threat multiplier as they hit things.

the Tanker version is 'Punch-voke' which basically gives all of their attacks an AoE based threat multiplier.

YMMV though.

On 4/19/2021 at 10:42 PM, seihyup kim said:

does brute have to have taunt skill?

No, I can count on my hand how many times I've taken taunt on a broot. (Its zero btw)

Taunt is good for tanking, broots are good at smashing stuff, they'll draw aggro through other powers.

Unless you actually use it to draw the heat off of squishy teammates or maybe use it for set bonuses, I'd skip it.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

So i take taunt on almost all my brutes (except farmers).  Its not required but i rarely regret it.

Its a ranged "attack" that will build fury (not only as an attack but the returning fire).  I use it as an opener.  Or if we draw another mob,etc.

Teamates steal fury and agro, which can cause less fury.  Taunt em back.

As mentioned small io investment in cost and slots gives nice roi.

Was useful in pvp.  Now its just op.

Sometimes you are asked to tank.  And until tank aoe buff imho brutes were better at tanking.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:26 AM, DreadShinobi said:

Stamina only required you to pick up hurdle and health. Nobody took swift because hurdle was the bees knees. Getting Hurdle, Health, and Stamina as inherent was great, but getting Swift on top was even better cause it was a pick you never took anyways, so everyone got that extra bit of unsuppressed movement speed on top of what they were already used to.

Are Inherited powers weren’t automatically granted? Do i have to pick or get it?

I have taken taunt on all of my brutes.  But unlike a tanker, I tend to think that for a Brute taunt is not a high priority, and I typically end up taking it after Tough and Weave are in place; this typically means not until the twentysomething levels or later.  If nothing else, it makes a good level 49 pick that needs no slots. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 4/27/2021 at 5:27 PM, seihyup kim said:

Are Inherited powers weren’t automatically granted? Do i have to pick or get it?

Inherent powers do not require the player to pick them.  The Fitness pool (Swift, Hurdle, Health, Stamina) are all powers that you receive automatically when you attain level 2.  All characters also receive an Origin specific power at level 1.  And each Archetype has a power they receive at level 1.  For Brutes that's Fury.  Brutes also have an unofficially named lesser form of Gauntlet often called Punch-voke which generates extra threat (aggro) but isn't considered a power per se.  And there are various P2W powers for purchase.