End game tank builds

Reningrendir

Just now, Mezmera said:

spacer.png

Yeah this is what I feel it's like to be Kinetic Melee at the moment.  Honorable looking but not sure how effective it is when the blaster just pews dead your targets.  

Idk if I've ever seen a more accurate GIF 😂 Hopefully they do some updating to it, similar to EM.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Nightmare Shaman said:

It appears you guys either willingly or unwillingly confuse survivability with "tanking".  To someone unfamiliar with tanking and/or the game as the OP appears to be, you're woefully misinforming him and possibly overwhelming him with unnecessary delineation about possible builds versus practical builds.  All of which was covered in #5 and somewhat in #4 of my list of advice to the OP.  You essentially did exactly what I said people mistakenly do on these forums - give overblown explanations of theoretical or very specific, expensive builds used in very specific situations.

Of all things, an actual tank should be able to withstand most damage types, in most situations, surviving alpha strikes continuously from one group to the next with little to no downtime, while both maintaining aggro, and having the ability to grab aggro when it is momentarily lost.  (mostly with taunt)

Saying an x,y,z build can survive this or that, either from seeing it happen once or twice, or throwing out some wacky, atypical build from some majorly IO'd, expensive powerset combination and concluding that anything and everything is equitable for one role or another is just moronic.  Scrappers can sorta tank.  So can brutes.  But, can they tank as well as a tanker archetype?  No.  Not inherently.  

So keep your opinions.  I know you will continue to believe your foolishness.  But, please stop telling inexperienced people such inaccurate information.  It makes the game less approachable and muddies the water with endless obfuscation.

Well, thank God we have you to teach us the correct way of doing things. I, for one, welcome out Nightmare Shaman overlord, may he rein over these forums for a thousand years.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

On 4/29/2021 at 9:52 AM, Linea said:

I recommend: /EnA (Defense, Any AT), Rad (Resist-Cap, Brute and Tank), /Bio (Heal-Armor, Any AT) . . Defense Alternate for tanks: SD/ and Inv/ ... but really any armor will work for the official game content.

Just to clarify in case readers get confused, Energy Armor isn't available for Tanks, but it is good for any AT that gets it.

• Like 1

I would love to see a breakdown of armor sets and what end game problems they would have and what could be done to work around them.

Like I know SR is ok until it gets one shot by an auto hit block of cheeze in an ITF, but not what else does that. I assume that in the ITF it is en/ne damage from one of the fluffies. To work around that I made a SR tank build with base 50%ish s/l and en/ne resists before scaling kicks in.

I am curious what other problems each set would face other than no DDR.

• Like 2

I've had decent success running this. It's no Stone or Invuln but it's not atypical to tank some of the big game out there. Just be careful around psi based enemies and those with heavy KB. 

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Fiery Aura
Secondary Power Set: Dark Melee
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(7)
Level 1: Shadow Punch -- HO:Nucle(A)
Level 2: Fire Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(7), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 4: Shadow Maul -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(15)
Level 6: Healing Flames -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(15), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal(19)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19), Ksm-ToHit+(48), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 10: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(21)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(21), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(23), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 14: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(25)
Level 16: Siphon Life -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(25), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(27), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(29), TchoftheN-Heal(29)
Level 18: Burn -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(31), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Arm-Acc/Rchg(31), Arm-Dam%(33)
Level 20: Touch of Fear -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(48)
Level 22: Boxing -- HO:Nucle(A)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(36), UnbGrd-Max HP%(36)
Level 26: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 28: Soul Drain -- Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(37), Obl-Dmg(37), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39), LucoftheG-Def(40)
Level 32: Temperature Protection -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(48)
Level 35: Gloom -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(40), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Apc-Acc/Rchg(42), Apc-Dam%(42)
Level 38: Midnight Grasp -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(43), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(46)
Level 41: Dark Obliteration -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(45), Rgn-Knock%(46)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(46)
Level 47: Taunt -- PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg(A)
Level 49: Rise of the Phoenix -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(39), Mrc-Rcvry+(39)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PwrTrns-Dam/EndMod(A), PwrTrns-EndMod(37), PwrTrns-+Heal(50)
------------

• 1 month later
On 5/4/2021 at 11:29 AM, Marshal_General said:

I would love to see a breakdown of armor sets and what end game problems they would have and what could be done to work around them.

Like I know SR is ok until it gets one shot by an auto hit block of cheeze in an ITF, but not what else does that. I assume that in the ITF it is en/ne damage from one of the fluffies. To work around that I made a SR tank build with base 50%ish s/l and en/ne resists before scaling kicks in.

I am curious what other problems each set would face other than no DDR.

Here's my go-to for the tankiest of tanks (laughs at the dark ambush in ITF at +4/8).  You can save a few infl. by going with the non-Superior versions of MoT and GF, with almost the same survivability.  I have built this tank with SS and SJ...SS just feels more comic book tank, to me (Although JAWBRKR with SJ is also alot of fun).  

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7

NUTCRCKR: Level 50 Mutation Tanker
Primary Power Set: Invulnerability
Secondary Power Set: Super Strength
Ancillary Pool: Pyre Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Resist Physical Damage -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(3), GldArm-3defTpProc(5)
Level 1: Jab -- SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(43), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(43)
Level 2: Temp Invulnerability -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(3), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(5), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(7), UnbGrd-Max HP%(13)
Level 4: Dull Pain -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(9), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(29)
Level 6: Resist Elements -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(7), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(11), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(45), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(45)
Level 8: Unyielding -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(11), UnbGrd-ResDam(13)
Level 10: Taunt -- PrfZng-Dam%(A)
Level 12: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), WntGif-RunSpd/Jump/Fly/Rng(31)
Level 14: Resist Energies -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(15), RctArm-ResDam(15), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 16: Haymaker -- SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(46), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(48)
Level 18: Invincibility -- Rct-ResDam%(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(19), ShlWal-Def(19), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(34), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(37)
Level 20: Knockout Blow -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(21), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Hct-Acc/Rchg(23), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(25), Hct-Dmg(37)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(27), ShlWal-Def(34), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(36)
Level 24: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 26: Tough Hide -- Srn-Def/EndRdx(A), Srn-Def/Rchg(27), Srn-EndRdx/Rchg(29), Srn-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Srn-Def(48), Srn-EndRdx(48)
Level 28: Rage -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 30: Tough -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A), ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 32: Unstoppable -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A), ImpArm-ResDam/Rchg(33), ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33), ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx(33)
Level 35: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 38: Foot Stomp -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg(39), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Arm-Acc/Rchg(42), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(43)
Level 41: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 44: Hurl -- FarStr-Dmg/Rng(A), FarStr-Dmg/Rchg(45), FarStr-Acc/EndRdx(46)
Level 47: Char -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End/Rchg(A), SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc(50)
Level 49: Melt Armor -- ExpVln-DefDeb(A), ExpVln-DefDeb/Rchg(50), ExpVln-DefDeb/Rchg/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Dmg-I(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Qck-EndRdx/RunSpd(A)
Level 2: Rest -- IntRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(39), Prv-Absorb%(40)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(40)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: Mighty Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Paralytic Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Longbow Partial Core Improved Ally 
Level 50: Resilient Core Paragon 
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Task Force Commander 
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion 
------------

• Like 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Since we're sharing, here's my goto tank these days. Ridiculous ST damage, workable AoE damage, unkillable and generally mean as hell. Need to respec out of One with the Shield as I never use it so I can pick up taunt. Or maybe I'll get really silly and swap fly pool for tport pool. Fold Space is awfully handy for aggro control.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.6

Zariela: Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Shield Defense
Secondary Power Set: Energy Melee
Power Pool: Flight
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Deflection -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx:50(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(3), ShlWal-Def:50(3), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:50(5), UnbGrd-ResDam:50(5), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx:50(7)
Level 1: Barrage -- Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg:50(A)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- Rct-Def:50(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx:50(7), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg:50(9), Rct-Def/Rchg:50(9), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(11), Rct-ResDam%:50(11)
Level 4: Bone Smasher -- Hct-Dmg:50(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(13), Hct-Acc/Rchg:50(13), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx:50(15), Hct-Dam%:50(15), TchofDth-Dam%:40(17)
Level 6: True Grit -- Mrc-Heal:40(A), Mrc-Rcvry+:40(17), NmnCnv-Heal:50(19), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(19), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx:50(21), TtnCtn-ResDam:50(21)
Level 8: Active Defense -- RechRdx-I:50(A)
Level 10: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow:50(A)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(23)
Level 14: Phalanx Fighting -- Ksm-ToHit+:30(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(23)
Level 16: Whirling Hands -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg:50(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(25), Arm-Acc/Rchg:50(25), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx:50(27), Arm-Dam%:50(27)
Level 18: Against All Odds -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 20: Total Focus -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg:50(48), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(48), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(48), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(50), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb:50(50)
Level 22: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(A), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg:50(29), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(29), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(50)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:30(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(31)
Level 26: Shield Charge -- Obl-Acc/Rchg:50(A), Obl-Dmg/Rchg:50(31), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(31), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(33), Obl-%Dam:50(33)
Level 28: Build Up -- RechRdx-I:50(A), GssSynFr--Build%:50(33)
Level 30: Boxing -- Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg:50(A)
Level 32: One with the Shield -- Prv-Absorb%:50(A)
Level 35: Gloom -- Apc-Dmg:50(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(39), Apc-Acc/Rchg:50(39), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx:50(39), Apc-Dam%:50(40), GldJvl-Dam%:50(40)
Level 38: Energy Transfer -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg:50(40), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(42), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(42), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(43), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%:50(43)
Level 41: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam:50(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx:50(42), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(43), UnbGrd-Max HP%:50(45), GldArm-3defTpProc:50(45), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(45)
Level 44: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(46), LucoftheG-Def:50(46), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(46)
Level 47: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A)
Level 49: Darkest Night -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I:50(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux:50(A), Pnc-Heal/Rchg:50(34), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg:50(36), Pnc-Heal:50(36), Pnc-Heal/+End:50(37)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod:50(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg:50(34), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc:50(34), PrfShf-End%:50(36), PwrTrns-EndMod:50(37), PwrTrns-+Heal:50(37)
Level 1: Energy Focus
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Rebirth Radial Epiphany
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Task Force Commander
Level 50: Portal Jockey
Level 10: Afterburner
Level 50: Carnival Radial Superior Ally
------------

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Woot. No insps/temps/maxdiff ITF solo with the above build as is:

Zariela-MaxDiff-NoInspsTemps.JPG.80990e0e8d014546216c86200eb7f8b1.JPG

Nicely done. That's one of the TFs I still have to solo.

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe