Is healer role too weak?

I am a lvl 34 healer and i play pain domantion and engery as a corrupter i know what you might say how the heck did i even make it to lvl 34 with the worst powers. Well that was my first character i ever made and i did not want to delete him at all. When i hit lvl 25 the game was really really really hard if anything i found my self fighting elite bosses they were op too op. I knew about the difficulty settings i used them when i hit lvl  34 and the game is still a pain. I just did a mission and i had to fight 4 bosses 1 of them were to op he kept punching me 1 time and making me stunned for the entire fight while he 1 shot me. I rage quit the mission. I used to have a pet  but it left and i was mad very mad. That pet was an event pet and it took me 4 hours to get because of the pain i had to go through trying to get it and when i did i was happy no more dying to op bosses. The pet was powerful i loved it but it left and i found out it does not stay forever. HOW IN THE HECK DO YOU DO THAT I KNOW IT IS AND EVENT PET BUT EVERY HEALER AND EVERY ROLE THAT DEALS WITH PAIN AND THE FRICKING BOSSES AND ENEMIES SHOULD AT LEAST SHOULD BE ABLE TO BUY,EARN,UNLOCK A PET OR SOMETHING TO STOP THEM FROM DYING FROM A CPU THAT WILL 1 SHOT YOU. I looked for help and some people told me to restart i said heck no. This is my first character and he means alot to me. Some gave me some advice that did not work. I know you can ask for help but it gets embarrassing having to ask for help all the time. I feel like there should be no right or wrong power you should be able to choose what ever the heck you want and still be able to solo through game. Idk man they need to upgrade healer role it feels too weak for me. 

Screenshot (320).png

Edited by Fastchicken1st

I’m not sure what exactly are your primary issues, but note every seasoned player in this game will tell you the same thing: this game does not have a dedicated “healer” role. Even on Empathy and Pain Domination, the team buffs are more important than the heals, and players that focus on”healing” and don’t lean into the buffer side of that role tend to wind up with gimpy characters.

If you’re going to play either of those sets, you’re also going to get by far the best results by teaming. Are you teaming?

That said, a pain corruptor should still be reasonably soloable if you are healing yourself, buffing yourself, kiting out of melee, popping break frees, etc. PM me if you want to team up in game and learn how to jump around, kite, pick out IO’s, etc. but that may frustrate you since I only play IO’d characters - so maybe someone with SO’d lowbies could offer the same.

• Like 3

As a support-based character whose main powers are to heal others, soloing is gonna be hard. How are your blast powers enhanced?

If you want support powers and pets, either roll a Controller (most get pets at level 32) or Mastermind (a wholly pet-based class).

• Like 3

First,  if you just started playing, then I would encourage you to stick with it. This can be a pretty complex game and learning how it works takes some time. This is not a game where everybody gets a goldstar no matter how well they play. The more you learn about the game, the different powersets, and different opponents the better you will do. So don't be too hard on yourself with your first character.  Also, your comment about ' I feel like there should be no right or wrong power you should be able to choose what ever the heck you want and still be able to solo through game.' That is simply not how this game is designed. Different powersets fulfill different roles and different combinations of powersets compliment each other better than others. Part of learning how different powerset combinations work with each other (or don't work with each other) is part of the puzzle that makes the game challenging and fun. Thats one of the reason's Alting is such a big part of this game - experimenting with different power combinations that fit your play style and do what you want them to do. But, all of that takes time. So stick with it, ask around, try different things and there is a real good chance you will find that favorite toon that is just 'you'.

• Like 1

There is a lot to process here 

What difficulty are you running at?   You can also turn off bosses solo so they get downgraded.   Soloing the game doesn't mean being able to do it at the highest difficulty
look further into the difficulty adjustments.   

How are you enhanced ?  Keeping these updated goes a long way 

You can buy Inspirations from many areas, bases, hospitals, contacts, the RWZ,   get ones that help you in the areas you might need like some break frees 

"SHOULD BE ABLE TO BUY,EARN,UNLOCK A PET OR SOMETHING 
"

there are a lot that can be earned and bought in the game.   get to 35 and do the intro to Vanguard mission so you can earn Vanguard Merits and do some Mother Ship raids and store up Vanguard merits to get a Vanguard heavy wen you need it ,  go get Shivans from Bloody Bay,   you can buy some from the p2w vendor which has other stuff that might help you too.   

Backup Radio  500k for 5  being a support At and with a set that has direct heals this could go a long way for you ( pretty cheap as you can sell 1 orange salvage and get the inf for this)

these below cost 10 million get 5 uses but are Very strong

Signature Summon (Melee Damage)

Signature Summon (Ranged Damage)

Signature Summon (Support)

Signature Summon (Tank)

Here is a list of temp powers 

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Temporary_Powers

Edited by Templarstone
  • Like 2

This is not the City of Heroes that you remember ,  it is a new game built on what we were forced to leave behind.  Change is going to happen , because Homecoming is not your personal museum to hold your nostalgic torch too.   It has active development and will continue to evolve just like the City of Heroes we knew was changing and evolving and was about to change in massive ways.  

Forum Post count does not = Game Intelligence or Knowledge  it just shows how often people like to talk.

you can lower difficulty to -1.  Sometimes I gain another level and come back to that tough mission. 

add range if possible.   I had a super weak kinetic. A dark powered elite boss was 2 hit killing me unless I got away. I would run by, attack and then slow the villain to get away and range attack. I must have spent 45 minutes chipping away.  

sometimes I find corners or wedge a villain into some graphics/two crates and work on them.  Rarely I can hover above and have them run circles any more. 

Edited by duane
my bad typing skills

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

It is very possible to play Pain Domination solo when you have a fully kitted-out build. I have a Pain/Sonic defender at level 50, and he is quite tanky. But soloing with any of the healing sets is challenging when you're starting out. (If Pain seems challenging to solo, some of the other healing sets, like Empathy and Thermal, are even worse.)

Others have said it, but it's good advice: take this character on teams! There are some missions that you theoretically can solo, but you're not meant to solo (on any archetype). Like Take Down Sea Witch from Lorenz Ansaldo (redside).

Do you have any respecs available? Think about respeccing this toon to include some powers that will make your character less squishy:

• Tough and Weave from the Fighting pool (you must first take Boxing or Kick)
  • Maneuvers from the Leadership pool
  • Either Hover from Flight (for the defense boost), or Combat Jumping from Leaping (for the defense boost), or Rune of Protection from Sorcery (for a way to break mezz -- you must take two other powers first)

To make room in your build, leave out a couple of the attack powers that you're using the least. Try to have at least two attacks with at least five filled slots: either an IO set, or SOs (1 accuracy, 2 damage, 1 recharge, 1 endurance reduction). Enhance accuracy first. I'd recommend 2-3 slots on Health and 2 slots on Stamina.

Edited by Bastille Boy

My biggest curiosities here were (1) whether or not you were letting bosses melee with you or continually backing away from them (melee with a squishy is only to be done once you’re certain you can take the heat and then (2) your enhancements situation. And then were you using inspirations, using your self heal reactively, etc.

Overall one of the biggest mistakes in MMO’s is indiscriminate button mashing where the veterans focus more on dodging, positioning, reactivity, etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arcane said:

I agree. I do not let them punch me in my face i fly away and some times they still be throwing crap at me when im trying to range attack.  Sorry i ranted i got really mad with how fast i was getting the crap kicked out of me i felt weak. The only game where the healer is strong is dcuo and that game is garbage.

welcome to the game. I have loved all archtype for their strengths and weaknesses.  Even this awful, awful awful sonic corrupter I am playing right now

Edited by duane

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

Glad to see you want to stick with it.

My suggestion would be Defense inspirations (the purple ones called "luck").  They can be of great help for the tough fights.  You can stack them.  Taking 3 of the little ones at a time will make you very hard to hit even with no other defenses.  4 will be enough to put you past the defense soft cap so most things at that point will only have the minimum chance to hit you.  You can buy them many places, but the nurses stationed in hospitals in each zone are a good place.  They are only 50 inf a piece.  If you come up against something that sends you to the hospital, stop at the nurse on the way out and load up on them (and maybe a couple of break frees if enemies do things like keep stunning you).  You can also try the auction house for bigger ones if you can afford it (you only need 2 of the medium sized purple ones, "Good Lucks" at a time).

Inspirations alone are enough to get you through a lot this game has to throw at you.  Think of them like potions in more fantasy oriented games, but use them, don't hoard them.

Pain Domination is not a soloist set. Team up with people, buff and heal them and attack their targets.

You can get a pet from the Patron Pools, and from the Lore Incarnate power but those aren't available until pretty late and aren't up all the time.

Edited by Wavicle

16 hours ago, Fastchicken1st said:

SOMETHING TO STOP THEM FROM DYING FROM A CPU THAT WILL 1 SHOT YOU.

Nothing can one shot you in City of Heroes if  you are undamaged as far as I know.

Go to full health and jump off the tallest building  (walk off backwards to get the rush of seeing the windows passing by). You will have one hp when you hit the ground regardless of how many  hit points you had to start with (sure you might have more left if you are level 50.)

16 hours ago, Fastchicken1st said:

This is my first character and he means alot to me. Some gave me some advice that did not work. I know you can ask for help but it gets embarrassing having to ask for help all the time.

City of Heroes was designed as team game. Though things have been added to make soloing easier, there are some archetypes that are at a disadvantage when soloing and you are playing one of them.
Join teams or recruit people for your team in the LFG channel.

People aren't always recruiting and you can't always get someone to join your team, but teaming is more fun and you are more likely to survive with teammates around.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Not sure what you're doing, but by default bosses are tuned off in this game for solo play.   Check your settings.  The only place I've seen elite bosses appear are in certain arcs in the RWZ,  in gold side missions, and in high level PI arcs.    I would strongly recommend not doing gold side until you have a lot more experience with the game.

Certain archtypes are much better at soloing.  I would recommend making a brute or scrapper for that first character, get him to max level, and use him to finance other characters as they level up.  Makes things a lot easier for slotting enhancements.

Edited by krj12

You can sometimes easily improve your situation by taking advantage of pool powers to help offset some of the quishiness.

Combat Jumping, Tough and Weave can all be taken and slotted to help shore up a Toon whose Archetype doesn't have inherent Survivability.

Although defeating an adversary requires Damage Output, giving yourself more time that you can hang in a fight can sometimes be an easy fix.

If you fill these with Enhancement Sets that give you additional Buffs to Damage, Accuracy, Defense and Resistance you'll see a difference.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On 5/18/2021 at 8:29 PM, Fastchicken1st said:

Then why cant you just upgrade your powers without having to over spend i spent almost all my cash just trying to upgrade my powers and their still weak.

This sounds like you are using Dual/Single Origin enhancements in your powers, and upgrade them as you level.

This is very costly, and if this is your first/only/highest level character, you are probably not having the money for it.

Any character can be played solo, but you have one of the hardest. Secondly, things get a lot easier if you have money in this game, as you can buy things like better enhancements, craft things, and buy temporary powers and inspirations. But you will not get a lot of money as you level, until you get really high level.

I would suggest first levelling something easy, and then use the money you get on that character to help your other character.

Go play a Brute or a Sentinel for a while. Those are much better beginner characters. Learn to craft "Invention" enhancements, and what (attuned) enhancement sets can do for you. Learn how to craft and sell on the Auction House to make more money.

Ask advice for all these things in game and on the forums. Don't be afraid, most people are very friendly if you are polite.

• Like 3

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

On 5/18/2021 at 1:25 PM, Fastchicken1st said:

need some buffs for heals but im low on cash

What is your in-game global? 

Edit to add: not being creepy, just want to send you some cash.  :P

Edited by Tahliah
  • Like 1

• 2 months later