PUGs Hurt

Snarky

1 minute ago, Shred Monkey said:

I don't think I've ever seen a Tin-pex that cleared the sewer before.  I wouldn't be opposed to it of the leader advertised as a clear all, but I think it's normal assume objectives only for Tin-pex.

i was flabbergasted.  Finally I was like "You are going into that room eventually"  Which got me a couple props for my name in team chat.  *pats self on back.

28 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

I don't think I've ever seen a Tin-pex that cleared the sewer before.  I wouldn't be opposed to it of the leader advertised as a clear all, but I think it's normal assume objectives only for Tin-pex.   

This. Madly charging through and trying not to be ripped to pieces by the tentacles while you take the pylons out is what I've done every time too. 

Ditto with the big bots vs Malta chaos. Kill bots, ignore Malta, dash into warehouse, go play with Mr Tripmines. 

Just now, Pixie_Knight said:

I didn't say "shorter", I said "easier". As in you're not worrying about sappers and/or other adds while trying to fight the specific Boss/AV/Pylon.

Yep, and I answered that part as well.  No, it wouldn't.  You're generally moving too quickly for that to be a concern.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Pixie_Knight said:

Until, of course, you aren't. Only takes one shot from a sapper to ruin your day 🙂

Considering that hasn't been an issue while regularly running Tinpex that way for one year on live and two years on Homecoming, I'd say that's extremely unlikely and not worth taking the time for IMO.

Edited by Apparition
  • Thumbs Up 1

Never know though, do you? Mind you, I haven't actually done most of the TF and SF. I've ran Posi, Synapse, and... uhm, I think Citadel. I've then ran the one in Cap Au Diablo. Think I might have ran Statesman's TF once, and an Incarnate trial once or twice. But that's about it.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Pixie_Knight said:

I didn't say "shorter", I said "easier". As in you're not worrying about sappers and/or other adds while trying to fight the specific Boss/AV/Pylon.

Fun Fact.  The malta are actually fighting the Warwalks in the first Tin Mage mission.  "Easier" is to make a quick lap around the map so that the fights initiate and let them beat on each other.  It's not uncommon to kill the first 2 warwalks and the 2 on the right, then find the 2 in the middle nearly dead already from fighting Malta. 

Also, I'm not sure there are any sappers.  If there are, I've never noticed them.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

2 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Fun Fact.  The malta are actually fighting the Warwalks in the first Tin Mage mission.  "Easier" is to make a quick lap around the map so that the fights initiate and let them beat on each other.  It's not uncommon to kill the first 2 warwalks and the 2 on the right, then find the 2 in the middle nearly dead already from fighting Malta. 

Also, I'm not sure there are any sappers.  If there are, I've never noticed them.

There's sappers in Director 9s ambushes alright but I've never paid much attention to the spawns outside other than the I-like-big-bots-and-I-cannot-lie. Tinplex got back. I suspect they die too quickly. 

2 hours ago, Pixie_Knight said:

Never know though, do you? Mind you, I haven't actually done most of the TF and SF. I've ran Posi, Synapse, and... uhm, I think Citadel. I've then ran the one in Cap Au Diablo. Think I might have ran Statesman's TF once, and an Incarnate trial once or twice. But that's about it.

Tinplex is a little different, they're really short. I've happily done both on a 4 man team in 15 mins (mind you one of the team was Doc/@Handmixer's Fire Blaster). But they're Incarnate only so you tend to be all powerful.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Pixie_Knight said:

In a word, no, it isn't any easier. Malta, sappers - any npcs, really. When you rush through to mission objectives, they rarely have an animation going by the time you've moved out of their area. And..what's strange is even when a sapper does attack, they miss most of the time, depending on your defense stats and level shifts. 

The longer you fight an npc, the greater the risks. If you don't have to engage them, there's really zero reason to do so, unless you just want to for ...incarnate xp, maybe. There's certainly no reason to do it for influence, as you can make a LOT more in 5-10 minutes of marketing than you would in a very speedy tinmage/apex. I'm not saying it can't be fun, to end drain a sapper. But to me, it's just dull after you've done it once or twice. May as well ignore it, as it doesn't get you anything useful. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Pixie_Knight said:

*blinks*

But... incarnate abilities didn't seem to me to make you that much more powerful? And in fact, I was finding them to mostly be clutter in my hotbars.

You have chosen poorly

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My favorite is the " anyone have a problem running this at a  couple levels below max or does someone wanna lead?" And getting nothing. We start up the tf and immediately someones bitching they lost powers. 

Ran an all mastermind postron. I accidently had the first mission at +4 and ran the rest at +3 just so it was speedy. Ran an all mastermind manti. Same thing. Ran another all mastermind manti and we could barely do +1 because 5 of 8 players did not have leadership for thier pets. For the one person thats reading this and doesnt understand because most of you clowns do not. 5 people had masterminds and no leadership. Leadership is so good it breaks the game. 

Thats pug life 

• Thumbs Down 2

If PuGs hurt, spend more on IO sets. I only make alts that can pull a team. This is hardest on a blaster, for sure. But, I have found that doing it this way makes my life easier. Relying on other people to do their job is a fool's errand. Or, just solo.

1 minute ago, VV said:

If PuGs hurt, spend more on IO sets. I only make alts that can pull a team. This is hardest on a blaster, for sure. But, I have found that doing it this way makes my life easier. Relying on other people to do their job is a fool's errand. Or, just solo.

*facepalm

the Blaster i was on is T4d across the board Incarnate, i/o’d with Purples everywhere, as well as a ton of other good stuff.  He has all his accolades.  Unfortunately I do not have the skill necessary to solo a TinPex on a Blaster.  So without a team i avoid them

I'm both annoyed and enjoy TFs where the leader and maybe one other teammate race ahead with stealth after not announcing a speed run when they recruited: I mean, annoying because I often end up sacrificing myself once or twice at first, but then enjoy because I can just sit back and dance to the boombox while they complete the missions for me.

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Updates from the front...errr bottom....

in Help "I am 50 vet 100 but have never done a DFB, what do I do?"

Me: "Run a DFB"

A few sweet comments on living up to my name later I invite the 50 to Atlas and organize a badge run.  I never organize.  I never give instructions.  I gave instructions.  I put in every AD "badge run"  in CAPS!!!!

Instructions "We have two people here that never run this.  This is a badge run.  There is one boss where you cannot kill minions.  only boss, single target attacks.  I will pull"

A few other people gave more explicit instructions about AoE and such.  

I always pull this boss.  i get bored down there.  At the boss I race ahead.  Someone has already cleaned the bombs....I already am like hmmm.   I pull the boss when she emerges with a long blast.  as usual.  She starts to me.  then hares off to the far back of the room.  

We got the badge.  

But seriously.  is it that F-ing hard to read two sentences?   Is it that hard to follow instructions on a F-ing DFB?  How you people (and i especially mean Oklahoman and Confusion, but everyone who attempts badges on hard content) do this I do not know.  I was ready to reach through the comp and drain the blood out of their worthless body with the power of sheer hate,

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Snarky said:

But seriously.  is it that F-ing hard to read two sentences?

OK, this is definitely one instance where PUGs can hurt, I have seen a lot of apparently illiterate or inconsiderate people do that sort of thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 6/26/2021 at 1:02 AM, Snarky said:

Updates from the front...errr bottom....

in Help "I am 50 vet 100 but have never done a DFB, what do I do?"

Me: "Run a DFB"

A few sweet comments on living up to my name later I invite the 50 to Atlas and organize a badge run.  I never organize.  I never give instructions.  I gave instructions.  I put in every AD "badge run"  in CAPS!!!!

Instructions "We have two people here that never run this.  This is a badge run.  There is one boss where you cannot kill minions.  only boss, single target attacks.  I will pull"

A few other people gave more explicit instructions about AoE and such.  

I always pull this boss.  i get bored down there.  At the boss I race ahead.  Someone has already cleaned the bombs....I already am like hmmm.   I pull the boss when she emerges with a long blast.  as usual.  She starts to me.  then hares off to the far back of the room.  

We got the badge.  

But seriously.  is it that F-ing hard to read two sentences?   Is it that hard to follow instructions on a F-ing DFB?  How you people (and i especially mean Oklahoman and Confusion, but everyone who attempts badges on hard content) do this I do not know.  I was ready to reach through the comp and drain the blood out of their worthless body with the power of sheer hate,

I was briefly wondering if that was me, as a few weeks back I had that exact conversation - I'd never done a DFB and my lvl50 badger was getting edgy about it. Someone volunteered to run one and gave very good instructions. And even though some on the team ignored the instructions badges were gained 😁

Then I remembered I play on reunion and you don't, so probably wasn't you. But thanks to you, and everyone who leads badge missions, for putting up with people who can't read so people like me can get badges😁

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.