If you had just one video...

Techwright

I had a surprise brief moment last Friday to pitch CoH to my coworkers, and...I drew a blank.   I was trying to think of one video I could show them that encapsulated the full fury of a good CoH team fight without dragging parts in it (or at least few of them) and with a clear look (not something fuzzy at 240p, or hard to see because of too many power effects at once).  

Perhaps I'll get another chance, but I want to have a good one or two vids lined up.  Can y'all make good suggestions?

Mm. Most of the videos I can think of are either the early-early days (as in "alpha stage") or music video type machinima...

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

The problem is, IMO, that many MMOs don't look very exciting to the uninitiated;  If you don't know what you're looking at, it just seems like a hodge-podge of character models and power FX going off.  Better to sell them on the character editor and variety of powersets...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/28/2021 at 7:23 PM, Techwright said:

I had a surprise brief moment last Friday to pitch CoH to my coworkers, and...I drew a blank.   I was trying to think of one video I could show them that encapsulated the full fury of a good CoH team fight without dragging parts in it (or at least few of them) and with a clear look (not something fuzzy at 240p, or hard to see because of too many power effects at once).  

Perhaps I'll get another chance, but I want to have a good one or two vids lined up.  Can y'all make good suggestions?

There was a small company who made a whole bunch of Co* fan films.  They were... hold on, trying to remember the name... oh, yeah, Marvel Studios.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

There was a small company who made a whole bunch of Co* fan films.  They were... hold on, trying to remember the name... oh, yeah, Marvel Studios.

That's hilarious.  Considering they sued Cryptic for copyright infringement.  The tried to prove it by showing a video of a Hulk-esque toon.  Then it came out that they made the toon themselves, which cost them the bulk of the lawsuit.  

Now they are owned by Disney, with even bigger and smarter Lawyer-wolves.

Fun

Id almost say its better that disney owns marvel now since they want to avoid the bad publicity like when they sued the school fundraiser for showing a disney movie.  'Disney sues not for profit volunteer organization for playing video games'.

Id say go with the funny or music video ones.  Even if its not 'actual gameplay'  its still more memorable and if they ever log in they will recognize things from the video as opposed to a screen exploding with power effects.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, TheZag said:

Id almost say its better that disney owns marvel now since they want to avoid the bad publicity like when they sued the school fundraiser for showing a disney movie.  'Disney sues not for profit volunteer organization for playing video games'.

Do you mean the same Disney that sued a preschool for having some of their characters painted on their walls?  Yeah, no; they're not exactly afraid of bad press over a lawsuit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackbird71 said:

Do you mean the same Disney that sued a preschool for having some of their characters painted on their walls?  Yeah, no; they're not exactly afraid of bad press over a lawsuit.

Yes, unauthorized commercial use of a trademark must be contested in order for those trademarks to remain intact.

26 minutes ago, Vulpoid said:

To be honest, I would just have them sit beside you and make a character.

Ya getting them on the game even if its just for a few minutes would be the best way.  Its free,  tell them to give it a shot.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheZag said:

Yes, unauthorized commercial use of a trademark must be contested in order for those trademarks to remain intact.

So what on earth makes you think things would be "better" now with Disney in charge of Marvel?  If anything, Disney has shown themselves more likely to sue and less caring about bad press.

20 hours ago, Rishidian said:

Now I just want to see Eochai in Pocket D for real.  I mean, the ceiling's high enough for him and everything!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

25 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Now I just want to see Eochai in Pocket D for real.  I mean, the ceiling's high enough for him and everything!

Where do you think they got the ingredients for those pumpkin spice lattes from?

• Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

4 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

So what on earth makes you think things would be "better" now with Disney in charge of Marvel?  If anything, Disney has shown themselves more likely to sue and less caring about bad press.

Ok im not trying to derail the thread so last response here. We can make another thread if we want to continue. 

That was over 30 years ago.  A more recent example they sued a school fundraiser for showing a disney movie to the kids and withdrew it over the bad press they were receiving. They might have even made a donation but im not sure on that point since i didnt look it up again.

And homecoming isnt earning a profit.  So suing 30 years ago to protect your trademark from a company that was using it and making a profit isnt quite the same as disney going after homecoming because they bought marvel and there is the possibility that someone might break the terms of service and create a character in the likeness of a trademarked character and then use it to make a profit.

All that said,  we are still walking a tightrope here and shouldnt do anything to mess it up.

I truly appreciate the input so far, and I'll consider each suggestion, though It's curious that y'all settled for music video takes on COH.  I've my favorites in those, but I'm not sure that really gets the game play across to potential players. 

6 hours ago, Techwright said:

I truly appreciate the input so far, and I'll consider each suggestion, though It's curious that y'all settled for music video takes on COH.  I've my favorites in those, but I'm not sure that really gets the game play across to potential players. 

You've set a tough challenge, Techwright!  The vids I love best are the ones about the end of it (the tributes were amazing!) and I also enjoy vids that show teams running this or that TF (I especially liked the ones about Parks and Wreck's all-plant troll teams, heh), but I don't think they would draw anyone into the game (the first is reliant on nostalgia and thus extensive knowledge of the game and the second on mastering a TF or simply going along for the ride).

I wonder if vids are the best hook?  Just get them in game, then show them around and set them free.  That's how I got into COH back in the day.  A work colleague mentioned it, and then talked me into downloading it with the promise of showing me the ropes.  He was wonderful and did just that, so I had a guide to show me around at first, give me tips (and influence!), and introduce me to his COH buds.  It was very very nice of him, and of course, I fell in love with the game and quickly found my own COH friends and developed my own COH interests (he wasn't into badging, but I was quickly a fan, he didn't like TFs, but I did, and so on).  This was way before COV and everything that came later, but I was hooked from the first moment in game. 

It's a free download, and if they don't like it after you show them around, they can delete it.  When I joined, it was sub-only, so I was taking a leap of faith of sorts (I think I just subbed that first month before subbing for the year at the next month).  The game itself is the hook, get them to log on and the rest is history! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Techwright said:

I was kind of thinking about that too, fun though those videos are.  I second the suggestion of sitting them down and getting them started in the game.  I got into it when a roommate was playing and I kept looking over his shoulder, "this looks kinda fun, actually..."  And I don't even like video games.

• Like 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝