What? How? Wow!

Cakey77

I must have been under a rock for 2 years, I just found out about this yesterday. I am almost in tears with nostalgia and happiness. I played for many years from launch. I'm going to try and get the old gang back together! This is just amazing. Thank you so much! 

PS If anyone Remembers a tank called Bob Rocket, I am back with him! 

• Like 17
  • Thumbs Up 5

Welcome home!

• Like 4

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Some handy tidbits:

There are five Shards:

Torchbearer is the original Homecoming Shard, but it saw a large exodus when the other Shards became available and Free Character Transfers were made available (which still exist, up to 3 per 5 days, or something like that).

Excelsior is the most populous Shard.  Some call it the "New Freedom."  Some people use a more colourful name when referring to it.

Everlasting is the officially unofficial Roleplaying Shard, but there are plenty of non-roleplayers there too.  It boasts the highest ratio of Villains, at almost 25%!

Indomitable is the officially unofficial PvP Shard.  There's nothing mechanically different about it; it's just that most PvPers congregate here.

Reunion is the official European Shard, based out of Germany (last I heard).  All the other Shards are in Montreal (last I heard), so it exists as a low-latency option for folks in the Old World.

The server is operated by unpaid volunteers, and all money collected during the monthly donation window is strictly put toward server operation and incidental costs.  No one makes any bank here.

Development of new content, updates, patches, and the like are also all handled by volunteers, and can sometimes be several months in the works.  Patience is helpful, but if you have the skills and meet the Homecoming Teams expectations, you can also throw your own hat in the ring to try and help out too.  Details on the recruitment process are clandestine.

Welcome Home, @Cakey77.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Welcome home, glad you finally found Homecoming. Don’t worry about that misty eye when you first log on, happens to all of us.

• Like 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

On 6/29/2021 at 4:41 PM, SwitchFade said:

Welcome back! Many new and exciting updates, check out the patch notes and have fun!

Welcome back!  I second the comment from @SwitchFade.  There's some wonderful changes from the old game that make it uniquely Homecoming, so its best to take some time to study the patch notes.  I'll just point out two things to watch for:  travel arrangements have varied much, which includes some improvements and some new 3rd column power options.  (Be sure to grab all the exploration badges in Atlas.  That's an easy way to unlock a nifty tool for keeping travel powers neat and tidy.)   I'll also point out that enhancements have improvements. Gone are the training enhancements, and now you can use an upgrade button in the manage menu (assuming you have cash) for any non-crafted enhancements.

Edited by Techwright
clarification
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Cakey77 said:

I must have been under a rock for 2 years,

I feel like there is a character name in there.....  I wonder if 'Been Under A Rock' is short enough to use.

16 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

Free Character Transfers were made available (which still exist, up to 3 per 5 days, or something like that).

We have five free transfers and they are replenished, back up to five, every 3 days.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Go! Hunt! Kill Skulz!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

17 hours ago, Dazl said:

Don’t worry about that misty eye when you first log on, happens to all of us.

Yeah, it's the damndest thing... the first hour you spend wandering around Atlas, it's all foggy and indistinct. Must be a rendering glitch.

• Like 4

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

50 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Yeah, it's the damndest thing... the first hour you spend wandering around Atlas, it's all foggy and indistinct. Must be a rendering glitch.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

On 6/29/2021 at 3:38 PM, Cakey77 said:

I must have been under a rock for 2 years, I just found out about this yesterday. I am almost in tears with nostalgia and happiness. I played for many years from launch. I'm going to try and get the old gang back together! This is just amazing. Thank you so much! 

PS If anyone Remembers a tank called Bob Rocket, I am back with him! 

Welcome home!  I can so relate to the tears of happiness and nostalgia; I literally cried when I finally was able to log in to the "real" game again.  So glad you found your way home.  ❤️

• Like 1

Okay, so some additional tips for HC: hit the P2W vendor in the tutorial or in AP to get all the accolade powers we used to get through our subs/vet rewards (and lots of new and fabulous ones, too!). You can pick up the Black Wand, etc. for use at early levels, some nifty travel powers, and a whole lot more for free. 

Everything is better on HC, so be sure to take some time to explore the new options for powers (lots of changes to many, including travel--fly is finally faster, afterburner faster, and group fly now works with MM pets!!) and IO sets, etc.  Definitely take the time to read the patch notes.

You can build your own endless, fabulous sg base right away, no need for prestige or any of that, it's all free. If you go the base-building route, you simply must check out @Dacy's videos and base building guides.  You can have your own sg/base for an individual toon, if you want and just /altinvite any alts you want.  You can have all the zone porters without having to complete the zone's exploration badges, you can just add storage like a madperson to the limit, and you can even put trainers, tailors, and pretty much anything else in your base.  So convenient! 

Lastly, Null the Gull makes switching sides as easy as a click (no need to build up tip missions, etc.), and he does a lot of other new and nifty stuff, so check him out in Pocket D. 

There is so much goodness to share, but take this time to enjoy being home.

Oh, and don't be shy about taking @Yomo Kimyataup on their offer for seed cash, either.  Gives it away like candy.  😛 And of course any of us will send you mounds of influence or just answer questions, just let us know (you can reach me in-game @Tahliah).  

Edited by Tahliah
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Tahliah said:

Okay, so some additional tips for HC: hit the P2W vendor in the tutorial or in AP to get all the accolade powers we used to get through our subs/vet rewards (and lots of new and fabulous ones, too!). You can pick up the Black Wand, etc. for use at early levels, some nifty travel powers, and a whole lot more for free. 

@Tahliah is on the nose.  Basically, grab absolutely everything free at the P2W vendor.  You might never use it, but it's FREE! ...and some of the free stuff is extremely useful. 

Also take note of currency things like mission transporter, ATT (all team teleport), and TT (team transporter).   While not required, they do really help improve the Task Force/Strike Force/Trial experience, especially if most on the team have a set.  Note that TT is quite expensive for a beginning character, but perhaps gifts of funds will make that a moot point.

• Like 3

Welcome home :D

Don't feel bad, I just found out in May.  Someone replied to a comment of mine on an old CoH vid on YouTube mentioning HC. Color me surprised...lol 

Do you feel like a noob all over again? I know I do!  Glad to see more of us coming in from the cold. Happy hunting!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5