What's the most fun task/strike force?

What's the most fun Task Force?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most fun hero task force?

• The Rule of Three (Positron Part 1)
    • Dam Hero (Positron Part 2)
    • The Fall of the Clockwork King (Synapse)
    • A Clamor for the People (Penelope Yin)
    • The Kheldian War (Moonfire)
    • Citadel's Children (Citadel)
    • The Mech Man Cometh (Ernesto Hess)
    • A Tangled Plot (Katie Hannon)
    • Following Countess Crey (Manticore)
    • Soul of the Woodsman (Numina)
    • The Sky is Falling (Admiral Sutter)
    • Explorers and Exploiters (Doctor Quaterfield)
    • The Legend of Ruladak (Sara Moore)
    • The Saga of Faathim (Justin Augustine)
    • The Saga of Lanaru (Faathim the Kind)
    • The Return of the Reichsman (Dr. Kahn)
    • Ms. Liberty Task Force
  2. 2. What's the most fun villain strike force?

• The Beast Beneath the Mountain (Virgil Tarikoss)
    • Pirates of the Sky (Silver Mantis)
    • The Temple of the Waters (Operative Reynault)
    • The Crystal of Serafina (Ice Mistral)
    • The Fire and the Flames (Mortimer Kal)
    • Thus Spoke the Reichsman (Barracuda)
    • Lord Recluse Strike Force
  3. 3. What's the most fun neutral task force?

• Time's Arrow (Imperious)
    • The Lady Grey Task Force
    • The Praetorian Offensive (Tin Mage Mk. II)
    • Alpha Strike (Apex)

I have made a poll to see which is the most fun task force and it is free of errors and if it is not I am going to scream! This was a bad idea the poll system on these forums is a nightmare!

Anyway.

Please select your favorite, if it applies! I'm not necessarily looking for what you think is the most rewarding, although if rewards are fun for you, that's fine! Use it in your decision! I'm mainly looking for what you objectively, subjectively think is the most fun task force for each alignment, one you would enjoy playing at just about any time!

Who is voting for Sutter?  Annoying mechanics, confusing maps, and overused IDF mobs. 

Yin for the win!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

1 minute ago, Heraclea said:

Who is voting for Sutter?  Annoying mechanics, confusing maps, and overused IDF mobs. 

Yin for the win!

I did. :P  Fun mechanics, challenging mobs, giant robots, and you get to be at sea.  What’s not to love?  To each his or her own. :D

• Like 1

Saga of Lanaru (Faathim TF)

Pirates of the Skies (Mantis SF)

Praetorian Offensive (TinMage)

Faathim is my favorite TF in the game, full of diverse enemy groups, chock full of ArchVillains, set in the zone with the prettiest skybox, decent average length of an hour long, will never turn down a Faathim

Pirates of the Skies is a bit long as red tfs go, but again nice diversity of enemy groups, and every time I’ve done one of these with an RP villain group has been a standout enjoyable time

TinMage bc I suppose of Tinpex it’s slightly more interesting of the two with Malta and the culmination of four AVs? Idk, I find Lady Grey less memorable, and I dislike the concept of ITF even if has a reputation for good rewards

Behold my altitis

Webmistress Shelob - Crab Spider Soldier (50)

Bulldog Palmieri - AR/Devices Blaster (50)

Queen I - Elec/FF Controller (50)

Sir Bedrock - Fire/Stone Brute (50)

I had a longer version of my own answers which I will skim over here-

I love Mortimer Kal because it doesn't overstay its welcome, is full of fun setpieces and fights, and ends in a dramatic hero vs villain confrontation that is exceedingly rare among the villain task forces. That the hero you confront is Positron is just icing on the cake.

Admiral Sutter is admittedly mostly carried by its first mission, but it is a hell of a first mission. It's a giant sprawling naval battle where you're jumping or flying from ship to ship to fend off waves of Praetorians and Sky Raiders before boarding their huge jury rigged battleship. Some sort of love to make it feel like a more active battlefield and you could easily make one of the best mission setpieces in the game *the* best mission setpiece in the game.

ITF I love the theme of- It's big dumb stupid campy superhero fun that does not and does not pretend to take itself seriously. You're superheroes going in the past to fight Romans, aliens, aliens that have fused with Romans, and Nazis that have aligned with Romans. It's rad, and I wish it wasn't just thought of as the quick leveling TF.

• Like 2

Penny Yin

Morty Kal

Lady Grey

I like Penny Yin 'the most' for many reasons, but top of the list is that the level range is at the sweet spot where every AT has come into their class-defining powers and for players who have exemplared down they should still have a lot of set bonuses but not all the late-game powers that make a lot of characters one-man-armies. Playing this at +4 really puts the challenge in being able to hit enemies and be able to deal with effects when they hit you (endurance drain, control effects). The revamped mission design should be applied to a few other blue-side TFs  (ehem, Synapse).

Mortimer Kal is fun especially when over-anxious folks have accidentally aggroed themselves into a back-room and can't get past (now neutral) Circle of Thorns! I'm a dirty villain and I LOVE seeing this happen because most players are flummoxed as to what to do. (no spoilers, but it isn't hard to figure out how to get out of that trap)

The neutral TFs I'm cold on. I find the ITF to be a bit of a grind, and the TinPex ones are a little too much 'Lore based' for my taste. Lady Grey wins by default.

The Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Poll option: Signature Story Arc (Who Will Die, part 1)... especially red side. This can be quick or brutal depending on the difficulty setting, with the only downside being the final cut scene. Villains stick around and face off against +20 level Freedom Phalanx for larffs. I think my Stalker did something like 2 HP damage to Manticore... I hit the exit button immediately and was still alpha-striked to oblivion. Looking for a challenge? Here it is.

Ernesto Hess mostly because there's a giant robot.  But also because there are some neat maps.  It could use some minor updates; the trap in the first mission is not the threat it was when the TF first came out, and the radar station missions are a lot of running around, but it's the first TF I ever completed and it's still my favorite.

Silver Mantis mostly because of the last map.  But also you get a nice variety of enemy groups throughout.  Mortimer Kal is a very close second but it's almost too quick.

ITF, because it's fun to go back in time and murder hordes of Romans and Nazi aliens.  I don't do speed runs. 

I went with

Admiral Sutter: Mostly because of the first mission, but I also really like the last one and the difficulty of managing the bosses with a non optimized group.

Silver Mantis: because it has a great final mission, and it gives the best badge 😛

Lady Grey: To me this is the "have it all" TF. You have a variety of challenges, some multi stage bosses, rescues and defeat objectives, and a nice mix of enemies in the fact that the Rikti can cover several bases.

Hess and Lady Grey. No answer for SFs; been 9 years since I ran one.

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

Me for anything with a giant robot.

If only we could fight the giant robot in Hess or ITF.

I've tried running them slowly, but the bad guys never seem to get past the design stage and into production.

Happens a lot IRL, too, of course. But every once in a while you get:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/15294/the-first-giant-mecha-robot-fight-was-lame-but-this-real-cold-war-era-mecha-wasnt

Edited by DoctorDitko
citation

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

For me the ITF wins by a clear margin for me over most of the other content. In fact I think it's one of the best MMO dungeons I've ever played.

What specifically makes it great to me:

• Allows level 50 builds, don't feel like I have to escape the game's own combat and level system to play it
  • Relatively few enemies with mezz, but mezz protection still occasionally useful
  • Thoughtfully placed encounters with mixes of cannon fodder, all bosses, elite bosses, and a DPS check
  • Fun to play at +0 or +4
  • Good rewards, so its both fun and you feel like you're progressing 
  • Enemies with -Defense turn out to be among the fair approaches to balancing IO versus non-IO builds 
  • Rewards strategy, but you don't need to memorize a script. Very easy to pick up what the team is doing

The only sort of criticism I can bring about it is I think it was more fun before incarnates became a huge part of the picture, because control and support were more useful. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later
On 7/18/2021 at 11:32 AM, DoctorDitko said:

Me for anything with a giant robot.

If only we could fight the giant robot in Hess or ITF.

I've tried running them slowly, but the bad guys never seem to get past the design stage and into production.

Necro posting because now you get to fight TWO of the giant robots in Hard Mode ITF.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Really? Those two giant 'under construction" guys the Nazis are building?

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I don't think Yin is the best TF in the game, but it really deserves a lot of credit for standing out despite it not being level 50 content.  It's newer, so the Dev's learned a lot from the original TFs... namely the length and number of missions.

• Thumbs Up 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Fun and favorite are two different things.  Favs are Hess becuase of the reveal and the revamped Posi 1 and 2 because the stories are good and tough but not Rollister building tough like the old posi.

Fun are just for creative smash which are Yin, Sutter and Market Crash; its fun beating on Freakshow and Sky Raiders.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

As buggy as it is I cannot see how Katie Hannon got any votes.   I like low end content.  While I favor villain story lines I think the job done on Positron TF was excellent.  I like both one and two.   Also, Synapse got votes?  Even an OCD grinder like myself stopped beating that dead horse long ago