Redside DFBs and low level Redside support. (Not much)

Snarky

I agree, Redside DFB are quite rare, and I understand the desire to get the boosters for lower-level play, but...

Redside has (IMO) significantly better low-level arcs (ehem, skip Dr. Graves' tutorial) than Blueside and they can be very rewarding for solo players and small teams... plus you earn merits quicker. The one suggestion I would make is to pickup P2W travel powers to make maneuvering around Mercy easier.

BTW, my avatar is also Willem Dafoe. Judge me.

• Thumbs Up 3

27 minutes ago, tidge said:

I agree, Redside DFB are quite rare, and I understand the desire to get the boosters for lower-level play, but...

Redside has (IMO) significantly better low-level arcs (ehem, skip Dr. Graves' tutorial) than Blueside and they can be very rewarding for solo players and small teams... plus you earn merits quicker. The one suggestion I would make is to pickup P2W travel powers to make maneuvering around Mercy easier.

Judged.

See the source image

• Haha 1

Ok. 
Not to totally derail, although we do have a small army of threads about Redside already (and even one "official" one by GM Miss https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19655-weekly-discussion-53-how-to-increase-villain-population/ that covered almost everything quite thoroughly), but . . . 
That "forum avatar as a window in to the soul" thing?   Given how many different reasons people choose to have images (or choose -not- to have them), the wildly different social locations and cultural backgrounds, the different kinds of communities and different codification of symbols (ie:  TraumaTrain's symbol is from this game, which would change the context significantly if that were used on a website unrelated to City of Heroes), and the generational gaps that are almost completely invisible online, I feel any research on that topic would have to be monumentally extensive to hold any kind of water.  I mean, the research in to colour preference and mood is still on-going with a lot of conflicting results, last I checked.  I don't see how any researcher could confidently state they have a final solution on the correlation between personality factors and little pictures online.

And, I suppose to try and loop that back in to the Redside discussion . . . not that everyone would necessarily agree (*coughs while looking toward a couple of the usual suspects who haven't entered this thread yet*), the personal reasons that people who -do- play Redside are quite varied and personal as well.  After all, there are some people who feel Redside is on-average more heroic than Blueside due to how many missions are framed in an anti-establishment context.  Their real world lived experiences contextualizing those missions in a positive light.  Not everyone here is motivated by the in-game rewards to the same extent.  I am fully aware that Redside gives fewer Merits per unit of work than Blueside (*glares menacingly at Mr. Bocor's piddly 2 Merits for a series of 3 Defeat Alls*), but I still choose to play Redside for the most part due to the more cheerful and familiar ambiance, characterful writing, and opportunity to frequently combat Arachnos and Longbow, amoung other reasons.

And and . . . Willem Dafoe is amazing.
I still need to watch The Lighthouse.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, DrZeus said:

Therefore I work for any group that gives me a job without pay? That makes no sense. I'm not ever furthering myself or my goals.

It doesn't make sense because it is literally made up nonsense by you.   EVERY contact in the Rogue Isles (including all three starting contacts in Mercy) explains what's in it for you when they ask you to run a mission.  I mean you actually rob banks if you play redside and here you are saying you don't get paid as a villain?  Are you really being serious with that one?

I just ran a delightful little arc where I seized a cloning facility and then put it to work making a clone army of myself.   Now, you could say that didn't totally work out in the end but hey... that's sort of the life of a villain too in the comics ain't it?  If any of our diabolical schemes actually ever did work well enough to take over the world, there'd be nothing left for us to do, now would there?

15 hours ago, DrZeus said:

And as a note... if someone tells you a scientific finding and your response is "sounds like horsecrap to me"... it doesn't make you look like an intellectual giant. 

It does if you have misapplied that research.  If your assumptions are "horsecrap", then so are your conclusions no matter what the research says.  And your assumption that roleplaying is a large motivator for general attitudes in this game is entirely unsupported by any evidence.  The vast majority of teams you see advertised in this game (even on the unofficial roleplaying server) have nothing to do with roleplaying.  Thus the topic of this thread, which has to do with difficulty finding teams redside, has nothing (or at least very little) to do with roleplaying.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, tidge said:

There is this great quote from Dafoe that I remember seeing in some interview he did a long time ago but can never manage to turn it up in a search these days.  Interviewer asked him about his long career of playing bad guys and some good  guys and the question was something like "Which do you prefer playing? Good guys or bad guys?"

His answer, probably paraphrasing here: "Good guys.  Bad guys.  It doesn't matter.  Everyone thinks they're righteous."

Whenever I do play a villain in this game, I always think of this quote and try to imagine why they think it's okay to do the things they do, even if it's something I wouldn't in reality agree with.  Why do they think they are righteous?

I do get a chuckle out of the idea that playing redside in this game could possibly have an effect on one's behavior, though, or say anything at all about their actual real-world character.  I think what research HAS shown, that I've heard of at least, is that it is actually competitive games (whether video games or real world sports), rather than good vs. evil or even violence in games, that have a much greater effect on aggression and mood.  You will find far more toxicity in online competitive multiplayer games than you ever will on anything related to City of Heroes, which is rarely played in a direct player-vs-player competitive fashion.

• Thanks 1

RE: robbing banks.

Two words: Mayhem Missions

I am sorry, but no amount of goodie twoshoes could ever pass up Mayhem Mishs. I am still trying to figure out the optimal route to get them, since I want dat mayhem badge!

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Hew said:

RE: robbing banks.

Two words: Mayhem Missions

I am sorry, but no amount of goodie twoshoes could ever pass up Mayhem Mishs. I am still trying to figure out the optimal route to get them, since I want dat mayhem badge!

The most optimal route is to run Part Four of the Who Will Die? SSA in Brickstown at x3 to get the Bloody Hands badge, (I run it at x4, but x3 should be sufficient).  That will unlock Lord Schweinzer in Port Oakes, who will make all mayhem missions available to you, (assuming you're high enough level for the mayhem mission you want to run).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Apparition said:

The most optimal route is to run Part Four of the Who Will Die? SSA in Brickstown at x3 to get the Bloody Hands badge, (I run it at x4, but x3 should be sufficient).  That will unlock Lord Schweinzer in Port Oakes, who will make all mayhem missions available to you, (assuming you're high enough level for the mayhem mission you want to run).

WWD in Bricks tho is Blueside. Suggesting to go rogue long enough to get the badge, and then go back? Or is there a redside way to do that?

1 minute ago, Hew said:

WWD in Bricks tho is Blueside. Suggesting to go rogue long enough to get the badge, and then go back? Or is there a redside way to do that?

Aye, go rogue alignment.  If you want strictly red side, run the Lord Recluse Strike Force several times, and/or run the Vindication story arc from Abyss several times.  Just the fourth blue side WWD SSA is by far the quickest, most expedient way towards the badge.

• Thumbs Up 1

The method I used was getting to level 5, locking Experience, getting the Atlas Mayhem, unlocking Experience and levelling up on other missions, then using that Mayhem as a rinse-repeat grim harvest of the single hero who kept showing up to stop the bank robbery.  Also took a route to the bank which would run past Mailboxes, Fire Hydrants, Newspaper Vending Boxes, et cetera, and made sure I got over 15 minutes on the clock before exiting and rebooting the Mayhem (otherwise the timer doesn't reset, and if you dip below 15 minutes, you can refresh the Mayhem this way).

Yeah, it was repetitive, but quick and rewarding.

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

There's a way to do radios and papers you've outleveled?  

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

2 minutes ago, skoryy said:

There's a way to do radios and papers you've outleveled?  

Safeguard and Mayhem missions, yes.  See here and here.

Between that and Ouroboros Flashback, that's why I no longer see a point in leveling the old fashioned way for me since I only run story arcs solo anyhoo.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hew said:

We tried this. People exploded in fury. "Why should I HAVE to play redside for better rewards?!" was one of the common threads.

edit: here is the thread started on that exact topic: 

I just wanted to say how apt that linked image is for the thread discussing red side population 🤣

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

45 minutes ago, DrZeus said:

in this car probably because I didn't explain it well..

not sure what your version of reality is but I think you are having issues with cause and effect.  Have you considered rebooting?

9 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

I don't find redside fun. That's why I don't play it.

A lot of Redside is a slog.  That is true of any long series of tasks in my opinion.  But then you get those rare missions where you kidnap Atlas Park citizens and deliver them to waiting Vahzilok minions for live vivisection.  Then it's all worth it again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/25/2021 at 2:23 PM, Snarky said:

Sigh.  Yeah.  Screwed lol.  It's hard out there for a Supervillain.  I was trying for a 'pure' Redside run.  (This is a solo all story arc toon Redside)  Finally gave up and went Rogue.  I feel dirty.  I have always let my Brutes that do this go Rogue for the DFB/DiB buffs.  This is a Blaster.  I seriously need all the juice I can run for the kill alls and EBs.

Sounds like you are feeling blue.

• Sad 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!