So, Devs. How are we doing on the backend CoH code?

mechahamham

As a techie, I'd be interested in hearing a 'state of the game' that included details about how Homecoming is handling the backend code and render code of the game, and challenges the devs are having working with that code.

In particular, I'd be interested in hearing about:

• changes that would allow CoH to more efficiently use modern video cards
  • changes that would allow CoH to use more cores on multi-core CPUs
  • changes that make the UI more robust and/or more modular-- things like can the in-game text editors be a little less 'jumpy'? can we assign custom colors to chat channels?
  • support for larger textures (I shy away from mentioning 'high resolution' textures)
  • changes that allow for more flexibility on the mapserver-- did we see any code changes that allowed for higher travel speeds in the recent update, or was that purely hardware?
  • it's become apparent that HC is doing more with the game geometry, going so far as to build new zones and maps. Is this a matter of becoming better with existing tools, or are there new tools in place?
  • changes that would allow for greater flexibility in the costume creator-- any progress made on retrofitting Soldier and Widow hands to non-VEAT characters?

Thank you for all the work you've put into our game so far. I'd love to hear more technical details about it!

HC devs have been pretty close lipped about this, so don't expect much. They aren't accepting help either.

There used to be a a thread for people offering their their help and their CV but I can't find it which suggests it may have been removed altogether.

3 minutes ago, RCU7115 said:

What new  zones ? 

While the game was away Khalisti was their Minecraft area to hone their knowledge on building regular things into a zone.  That's how we got such a pretty Echo Plaza.  

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Sovera said:

There used to be a a thread for people offering their their help and their CV but I can't find it which suggests it may have been removed altogether.

There still are some threads in the Dev Corner.  Search for "Future Volunteer Recruitment" and they should show up.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/28/2021 at 11:51 AM, mechahamham said:

Echo Plaza was the one I was thinking about, but there are also new mission maps and some alterations to KR and Abandoned Sewers

Echo Plaze ?? Echo Zones are 

Atlas Park, Galaxy City,  Faltline, Dark Astoria & Rikti Crash Site which are all original zones of the game. They were made Echo zones by Paragon Studios so players could access exploration badges and history badges needed for accolade powers.

Abandoned Sewers is also an original zone from launch.

I haven't noticed anything different in Kings Row. I have noticed that they did take the arena out of Talos or are using the original map for Talos.

8 minutes ago, RCU7115 said:

Echo Plaze ??

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Echo_Plaza

The Abandoned Sewer map was altered in i25, and the mini-map was just recently updated. See the May 4, 2021 patch notes. Kings Row had some minor updates to coincide with a new story arc introduced in i27p1.

• Thumbs Up 1

Echo plaza access through pocket D.  Its new and primary purpose is to run official events so there are no mobs there.  Although the GMs spawned in a AV/GM army after the anniversary costume contest.  I didnt get a chance to make it to any other events there yet.

On 7/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, mechahamham said:

can we assign custom colors to chat channels?

This - you can do now. Left click on the channel in question and scroll to "set color" and pick the color you want. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RCU7115 said:

I have noticed that they did take the arena out of Talos or are using the original map for Talos.

There was a building on that block in the original map; this was replaced by an excavation construction site prior to the launch of Issue 4, when the arenas were implemented. Now the arena is missing, replaced by building construction.

6 hours ago, TheZag said:

Echo plaza access through pocket D.  Its new and primary purpose is to run official events so there are no mobs there.  Although the GMs spawned in a AV/GM army after the anniversary costume contest.  I didnt get a chance to make it to any other events there yet.

I'll check Pocket D later today. Thank you 

On 7/30/2021 at 11:55 AM, Ukase said:

This - you can do now. Left click on the channel in question and scroll to "set color" and pick the color you want. 

Sadly, this only works for global chat channels and none of the 'default' channels, like team or broadcast. I should have been more specific in my post.