Who thought this was a bright idea?

Luminara

image.png.edd485935032b2479e95e6ae69e18306.png

What?

Fucking what?

How, by any logic or reasoning, could it possibly be a good idea to allow a PPP pet with no Defense, token Resistance to two damage types, the hit points of a naked squishie, and exactly one mitigation power on a 50 minute recharge timer (why it needs to be that long, when the pet has a 4 minute duration, i can't even begin to imagine), to taunt?

I did expect, when I respeced into the pet, to have to put a little effort toward keeping it alive if I was going to use it.  That I would occasionally have to peel aggro off of it, to guard and protect it to some extent... This isn't a little effort, it's a 4 minute fight against myself.  A dick measuring contest in which I'm the only participant, and I'm fucking losing.

I understand that it's simply inheriting the effect from the character, but I don't understand why it was ever allowed.  Is this an oversight, or a deliberate and malicious decision to allow PPP pets to function in a manner which is obviously detrimental, as a means of imposing a (poorly devised) limitation by ensuring that the pets would die seconds after being summoned, instead of, oh, I don't know, altering the scalars/modifiers?

😠

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Imma put my jack emmert cap on

This pet has an end drain power and endurance is so vital to the ai that has zero cost attacks and huge end pools so they dont run out of end or regen enough to use thier huge attack...

Pretty sure half of that was an actual conversation at the studio. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

exactly one mitigation power on a 50 minute recharge timer (why it needs to be that long, when the pet has a 4 minute duration, i can't even begin to imagine)

In case you're curious, this is where I nearly spit out my tea. 

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

This isn't a little effort, it's a 4 minute fight against myself.  A dick measuring contest in which I'm the only participant, and I'm fucking losing.

...and that's where I did.

• Haha 8
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Yeah, but as a Tanker, don't you have a higher threat level, thus the Taunt effect from the Striker is second to your own?

The Taunt in Gauntlet is mag 4, and it's not variable.  And it's not the pet's Gauntlet, the pet doesn't have that power.  It's my Gauntlet.  The game is applying it to the PPP pet because my character "owns" the pet.  Like Rain of Arrows benefiting from Assault.  The pet's threat is my threat, because the pet's damage is mine.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Luminara said:

The Taunt in Gauntlet is mag 4, and it's not variable.  And it's not the pet's Gauntlet, the pet doesn't have that power.  It's my Gauntlet.  The game is applying it to the PPP pet because my character "owns" the pet.  Like Rain of Arrows benefiting from Assault.  The pet's threat is my threat, because the pet's damage is mine.

Wacky! Do TAoE attacks like Blizzard, Ice Storm, and Sleet benefit from Assault too? Since they're pets as well?

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

11 hours ago, MrAxe said:

I know what you mean. My widow was so utterly rubbish that I had to go all out so she could live a least for a while. Luckily being a shield tank means grant cover adds a lot of defence.

I respeced out of Soul because my widow kept dying seconds after I summoned her, even though I run Grant Cover despite playing solo (the debuff resistances are worth the toggle cost).  I thought a ranged pet would be better because it would be away from all the big, scary things I was beating to a pulp.  Oh, no no no, it's even less likely to survive, because being ranged means it tends to stay OUTSIDE of Grant Cover's radius.

Edited by Luminara
Lost an ed

3 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Wacky! Do TAoE attacks like Blizzard, Ice Storm, and Sleet benefit from Assault too? Since they're pets as well?

Unless they've been changed, or recently flagged to ignore buffs.  They are pets, but they're pets acting as the player's powers and they're expected to perform in specific ways, such as increasing their damage output when buffed.  When you activate Blizzard, the game wants you to view it though your character is creating that swirling mass of snow and wind, so it hides the fact that the blizzard is actually an invisible pet with a rapidly activating PBAoE.  Assault has to affect the damage that pet deals in order to maintain that verisimilitude.

The only character I have using the PPP pets is my Time/Sonic/Soul defender. They're capable of making the Fort survivable. plus they have enough recharge to make them a 5-10 seconds off perma. Plus I figured the Psi damage would be useful. 

Tried the spiderlings on my Water/Temporal Blaster before because they actually worked concept-wise and they were worse than useless. Died in seconds. I guess I know why now. 

The Taunt in Gauntlet is mag 4, and it's not variable.  And it's not the pet's Gauntlet, the pet doesn't have that power.  It's my Gauntlet.  The game is applying it to the PPP pet because my character "owns" the pet.  Like Rain of Arrows benefiting from Assault.  The pet's threat is my threat, because the pet's damage is mine.

Just parsed this. Wow! I'm guessing the mechanism which passes Buffs also passes Guantlet so as a side effect. 

(which means that Spiderlings are just crap by themselves without having Gauntlet built into themselves)

Edited by Carnifax

20 hours ago, Luminara said:

I understand that it's simply inheriting the effect from the character, but I don't understand why it was ever allowed.  Is this an oversight, or a deliberate and malicious decision to allow PPP pets to function in a manner which is obviously detrimental, as a means of imposing a (poorly devised) limitation by ensuring that the pets would die seconds after being summoned, instead of, oh, I don't know, altering the scalars/modifiers?

Malice, obviously.  If it were an oversight, Gun Drone never would've been nerfed to the ground with a taunt effect of its own.

On 8/19/2021 at 8:14 PM, Luminara said:

Well, there you go.  You're a tank.  You're not supposed to be doing anything except drawing agro from others.  So your pet is helping you perform this function.  Working as intended. 

//sarcasm_off//  Yeah.  The taunt and agro management of pets should be within the 100% user's control.  IMHO, pet design has always been a major weakness of CoH.  

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

When I run Triple Threat I have to dismiss my lore pets entirely for tanking Nega-Pendragon because sometimes he'll switch targets to them which usually results in him hitting teammates with the 80ft cones and charging a bunch of extra rage.  Whether that's from inheriting Gauntlet or from being an extension of my damage, I'm not sure.

Everyone else's lores are fine, though.

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

On 8/19/2021 at 6:14 PM, Luminara said:

The Taunt in Gauntlet is mag 4, and it's not variable.  And it's not the pet's Gauntlet, the pet doesn't have that power.  It's my Gauntlet.  The game is applying it to the PPP pet because my character "owns" the pet. 

Then perhaps the best solution would be to have Gauntlet defined more straitly as drawing aggro to the tank, so that the Widow (or other non-Lore pets) generate aggro focused on the tank the pet belongs to.

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

Then perhaps the best solution would be to have Gauntlet defined more straitly as drawing aggro to the tank, so that the Widow (or other non-Lore pets) generate aggro focused on the tank the pet belongs to.

Should be doable. My stalker draws aggro to everyone else but myself even with against all odds on.