So just came back need advice on toon

Wuteva

Just came back looking for something easy mode to play through. Just to get started be able to take a beating since im stooopid with squishy classes (well traditionally I am normally on my face with them)

I like to be able to do most if not all content while still not face planting too much

• Like 1

Well, I find that a battle axe/bio armor or radiation armor brute can handle most content pretty easily.  You get additional end recovery from your armor set to keep you going, and all the knock up/down from battle axe is a great form of "soft control" against most enemies - enemies on their butts can't hurt you.

38 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Want to stay ranged and not die? Sentinel.

Want to go heavy damage but stay solo? Scrapper.

Want to never die but be slower? Tank.

Team a lot? Brute.

What the demon said. Powerset choices, at this stage of your return, should 100% probably be about what YOU want to play; with that in mind, don't worry so much about builds and anything like that. 

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

5 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

DEVIL! damnit.

I said what I said. 

• Haha 4

Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

1 minute ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Time for some arena, mang.

YOU WANNA TAKE THIS INSIDE?!

Toxic Tarantula, I choose you!

• Haha 6

Inv/em tank. Punch stuff with your Balls of Doom. Be damn near unkillable. EM has been fixed and is very legit now.

Also, I will nit pick by saying heavy damage and solo can also be done via Stalkers. They just can't go all-in on AoE like a scrapper can unless you are talking Elec/shield.

• Thumbs Up 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

To heck with all that - play what you want to play, eat carpet five times a mission, get stomped like a spider at a boot convention.  It builds character!  It also builds a healthy appreciation for foes' perception radii, knowing when to run, and ultimately makes you feel like a real god when you DO choose one of those tougher classes and wade into groups with no more concern than going out into a light rain.

Note: this foolish advice comes from someone who appreciates the squishie classes more and might not be relevant in this dimension.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Brutes shine on teams more so than scrappers and tanks. This isn't to say they're in any way bad at soloing.

Why's that? I think it is functionally more or less about the same between scrappers and brutes (no high level tanks yet so I dunno about that one), but I'd guess scrappers are ahead on teams since they don't need to be attacked to hold fury and do more damage to begin with anyway. The real question is between scrappers and stalkers on a team. The team increase to stalker crit chance and the lack of danger for a stalker probably helps a good deal. It has got to be pretty close anyway. 

My favorites for soloing are Stalkers. It takes a little more care than Leeroy face-punching everything with a Scrap or a Brute, but not so much that it's annoying to finish some of the tougher arcs all on your own.  

• Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Sentinels would be the best “easy mode” toon for learning the basics and getting back up to speed. It may not become your main but it can be fun leveling one up.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

43 minutes ago, A Cat said:

Why's that? I think it is functionally more or less about the same between scrappers and brutes (no high level tanks yet so I dunno about that one), but I'd guess scrappers are ahead on teams since they don't need to be attacked to hold fury and do more damage to begin with anyway. The real question is between scrappers and stalkers on a team. The team increase to stalker crit chance and the lack of danger for a stalker probably helps a good deal. It has got to be pretty close anyway. 

Brutes are better for teams because of taunt and taunt auras, and punchvoke if that's still a thing. If you consider aggro management important for teaming. 

35 minutes ago, Aurora_Girl said:

Brutes are better for teams because of taunt and taunt auras, and punchvoke if that's still a thing. If you consider aggro management important for teaming. 

Brutes do have punchvoke, but it is single target instead of AoE like a tank. If we are examining things from this angle though, then why aren't actual tanks better?