Focused Feedback: Dr. Aeon Strike Force

The premise behind the Brickernauts is not unlike an Embalmed Cadavers self-destruct, except cranked up to 11 as is befitting for a challenge mode.

Carefully prioritising targets will make the whole thing better. Singling out the Brickernauts first means you don't have to worry about them later. Leaving them for last means you can avoid their explosion at your leisure. Creating a typical mob mosh pit where you can't see them is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

Aaaand here's PART THREE of my suggestions and tweaks for the written parts of the Strike Force.

This covers everything from the first "ripple" to the beginnings of the finale mission. The finale suggestions will be its own doc. Not necessarily because there's that much to go over - but because I'm anxious to get this out now, but I'm currently stuck trying to solo Zoe and Mr. Rodney, and haven't cracked them yet. So here's everything up until that point! Hope its useful. Again SPOILERS lie within.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16Y8rg8cmN_xNGGTRJezgQ4BKqrPJeh4UVDQwxbGNguo/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by hieronymusboss
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2021 at 12:22 PM, Cobalt Arachne said:

But a warning indicator showing you exactly where that is was intentionally excluded,

Not gonna say it needs it, lest of all a big tutorial red zone, but some thematic and subtle floor ripples that suggest the approximate size would be swell, particularly since it's double the size of some of the other "stay out" pbaoe effects like Protean and Arakhn.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Replacement said:

Not gonna say it needs it, lest of all a big tutorial red zone, but some thematic and subtle floor ripples that suggest the approximate size would be swell, particularly since it's double the size of some of the other "stay out" pbaoe effects like Protean and Arakhn.

This is a great idea!

• Thumbs Down 1

At some point between the beginning of Mission 2 and end of Mission 3 I got credit for a Vanguard Sword kill for the new badge.

I rushed to the end of both, with the exception of downing all the contestants at the beginning of 2, so I'm not sure wherein there is a Vanguard? Maybe Flambeaux is flagged as one?

Just reporting in case it's a bug. Not exactly farmable and minor, but just in case this isn't WAI.

swordcred.png

• Thumbs Up 1

There's a ramp in mission 1 that AI pets, including the Secretary, really can't manage well. I've seen both fail to descend down the ramp on a few runs now and the only way to get them to properly travel is to slowly guide them down.

If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

The ASF is a great addition to the lineup!  The whole thing is over-the-top in a very entertaining way.

Ran into one frustrating caveat:  Zoe can fly away while Held.

So I'm soloing the ASF, and I am fighting Princess Zoe.  She is held (mag80 steady state using Power Analyzer) and then she gets up and runs away.  That is ... not realistic toward the game mechanic of being held.  Otherwise she would have gotten up much earlier.

Respectfully requesting her "run away, spawn baddies" mechanism is suppressed while Held so that mez is recognized correctly.  Otherwise the whole "use support to win" mechanism ignores the Mind Controllers like me whose only contribution is mez.  

Thanks for reading, and this SF is a blast!  

formerly @JimmyVine (on Infinity & Victory)

currently @Cenozoic (on Reunion)

Cenozoic (Mind/Psionic Dominator) ... Los Infiernos (Fire/Devices Blaster) ... Slof (Stone/Spines Tanker) ... Zen's Furnace (Illusion/Dark Controller) ... Cryovolcano (Earth/Cold Controller)

I'm working my way through this solo (we'll see how the AV fights go...my character is fully IO'd but not min-maxed by any means), and while it's a great arc, one thing sticks out at me so far:

In Part 4, why isn't there an option to hear Professor Echo out?

I get that it's a Strike Force and most teams are going to burn through the dialogs anyway.  But it's weird that the dialog forces the character into a "No talk, fight!" response, compared with other dialogs where the character does at least seem to have a choice of fighting or talking (e.g., the tournament doorkeeper), especially when the fight results in a bit of an infodump anyway.  The whole thing could easily have had an option where you listen to what Echo has to say and he teleports out.  It's the first point in the SF where the only choice was something my character really wouldn't do.  And if all I'm going to do is attack Professor Echo, why would I stop to talk to him in the first place?

Was there supposed to be another dialog tree there that didn't make it in?

Edited by Zhym
  • Thumbs Up 1

So far, played through as duo with a friend on 4x8 Vilainous, intending to check up on things difficulty wise, take time to explore the maps (6 hours.. lots of looking around, object finding and discussing) then 3x8 with a full team (much shorter) to explore usage in a team setting.

If I had to try to write a short and honest review for Dr Aeon's SFMA Collection, I'd want to say that it clearly has by far some of the best content in the game in it. Even though there are some rough edges (some typos, way too much text even for SFMAs, some awkward details eg. textures, bit bumpy boss balancing) and continuity can get a bit convoluted, the scenes overall are impressive, with clear attention to detail, interesting enacted situations, actual boss fights unlike most rest of game, and almost everything in these regards is absolutely top-notch, with some insane ideas! (fitting!) - not to mention I'm a huge fan of Cap and the idea of pushing the Goldbrickers further, though perhaaaaps that's a bit far.

However I'm still a bit sad for Dr Aeon and all the work he put into it, because his SFMA Collection could probably have been made into like one full SF and two Whole Signature Story Arcs with a bit more assembly work instead, and these would likely be the three best arcs in the game. But instead seems he hacked the AE screen to force playing the Collection in alphabetic order, in one go, with a team, and promising some DSO rewards or something, so it's a bit messy and people are just going to blindly run it without a care...

I'm just popping in to say how much I love Becky the Tarantula Mistress, and that I love that she's getting some well-deserved screen time, and I really appreciate the makeover the art team gave her! The pink is so swanky, and I love the custom decals! Hot Mess Express indeed... ❤️

(It has always been my headcanon that tarantulas customize their exosuits with stickers and decals and stuff and it's amazing to see that confirmed with my favorite tarantula of them all :3

All the little details, like the beds in the smelting factory, the multiple clickable pizzas, the secret Crey experiments, not to mention the new music... SO much love went into this release, and I want you to know that I appreciate and ❤️ you. ^_^

Edited by VulnaviaPhibes
  • Like 6

Just noting that when I looked at entries in CoD2.0 the Gold Brickers are not listed as doing what I expected with their Sonic weapons.  I expected to see a resistance debuff (like with Wailers and PC Sonic Assault etc.) instead the effect is a damage debuff.  Is this correct?  Is the entry incorrect or lacking an additional effect.  In short, what's up?

4 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Just noting that when I looked at entries in CoD2.0 the Gold Brickers are not listed as doing what I expected with their Sonic weapons.  I expected to see a resistance debuff (like with Wailers and PC Sonic Assault etc.) instead the effect is a damage debuff.  Is this correct?  Is the entry incorrect or lacking an additional effect.  In short, what's up?

The info you see in City of Data was last updated in August. You might be seeing a lot of outdated information.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn