Being Kind to One Another

Rahabina

1 hour ago, arcane said:

If you can’t shit on your friends, are they really your friends

I asked, but couldn't hear them through the shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

22 hours ago, Rahabina said:

Hello Fellow Nerds!

I just want to say I notice in the chat most times people are nice and very helpful. 

On occasion I see some sarcasm and random meanness. Please try to be kind even if you disagree with someone.  If a player asks something, like a game question from a newcomer for example, address them in the public chat positively and helpfully and sometimes send them a kind whisper.  

We are lucky to have Homecoming, those of us from Live were thrilled that we could play our favorite game again and for FREE!

So be grateful and keep our virtual full of positive vibes ❤️

v/r,

Rahabina

Ugggh fine, I guess I'll be nice. 

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2021 at 8:57 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

My dad flew C-130s, even the gunship in Vietnam. Great plane.

Mine stuck to EVAC, also in Vietnam! And never stopped enumerating the joys of the ol' Hercules.

• Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 12/5/2021 at 2:33 PM, Krimson said:

When I make a toon, I remove General from the main tab and place it in it's own tab. I also delete the Help tab and then make a new one with just Help. That way if chatter gets crazy I can tab away. 

Good idea.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

20 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

To me the difference between a nerd and a geek is a geek has an opinion on who would win in a fight between the Federation of Star Trek and the Empire of Star Wars.

A nerd would have charts.

...and spreadsheets. Or knows which would win based on his favorite science-fiction RPG (which has no affiliation with either franchise*). 

* Traveller: rumored to have been sent to the printers and then the creators & writers went to see this new movie called "Star Wars". 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 2:06 PM, Rahabina said:

Hello Fellow Nerds!

I just want to say I notice in the chat most times people are nice and very helpful. 

On occasion I see some sarcasm and random meanness. Please try to be kind even if you disagree with someone.  If a player asks something, like a game question from a newcomer for example, address them in the public chat positively and helpfully and sometimes send them a kind whisper.  

We are lucky to have Homecoming, those of us from Live were thrilled that we could play our favorite game again and for FREE!

So be grateful and keep our virtual full of positive vibes ❤️

v/r,

Rahabina

It's a beautiful sentiment, but I have to wonder - has anyone been acting awfully, only to have someone say to them "you should be nice", then have a total realization and changed their evil ways?  I mean, pretty much any "normal" person already knows this, and the rest just don't care.  If someone is going to troll or harass others, it's almost a certainty that they know what they're doing is wrong, (or at the very least, against the rules)...

3 hours ago, biostem said:

It's a beautiful sentiment, but I have to wonder - has anyone been acting awfully, only to have someone say to them "you should be nice", then have a total realization and changed their evil ways?  I mean, pretty much any "normal" person already knows this, and the rest just don't care.  If someone is going to troll or harass others, it's almost a certainty that they know what they're doing is wrong, (or at the very least, against the rules)...

I agree- if a douche bag falls in a forest, they definitely hear themselves. -)

More on point: I’ve had maybe a handful of instances on teams where people weren’t their, um, best selves.  But I imagine I may be missing a lot of kerfluffle by never having General switched on, on any character I have?

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

On 12/9/2021 at 7:45 AM, Marshal_General said:

To me the difference between a nerd and a geek is a geek has an opinion on who would win in a fight between the Federation of Star Trek and the Empire of Star Wars.

A nerd would have charts.

Id consider both those groups geeks.

A NERD would know both fleets of spacecraft would overheat and melt before firing a shot.

Then would point to The Atomic Rockets website where this problem is discussed at length.  

Sometimes it's less about politely asking an awful person not be behaviour in an awful way, @biostem.

Sometimes it's just about reminding the good people who sometimes behave without thinking about how awful some of the things they do are.

And sometimes it's about trying to galvanize the good people to actively work to address the problems caused by awful behaviour by stepping up to make a difference.

5 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

Sometimes it's just about reminding the good people who sometimes behave without thinking about how awful some of the things they do are.

This doesn't track - you don't casually go from being a "good person" to doing something awful, especially when we're talking about an online game.  If you're actively harassing someone, doxxing people, tossing around racial or ethnic epithets, etc, then you probably weren't a good person in the first place.

5 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

And sometimes it's about trying to galvanize the good people to actively work to address the problems caused by awful behaviour by stepping up to make a difference.

Sure, speak up if you see someone doing something bad, but your actions should be limited to perhaps warning the offender, then reporting them to the GMs.  It should never be any normal player's place to attempt to punish or otherwise blacklist others - that goes heavily into vigilante activity, and firmly places you into the wrong as well;  Block, report, then move on...

14 minutes ago, biostem said:

This doesn't track - you don't casually go from being a "good person" to doing something awful, especially when we're talking about an online game.

Good people do bad things.  Bad people do good things.  Sometimes people act like jerks for reasons we aren't privy to.  People sometimes overreact in the heat of the moment and then wish they could take it back once emotions have cooled.  I'm certainly glad that I am not judged by the worst thing I've ever done and I try to extend that courtesy to others.

But yeah, some people are just jerks through and through and aren't worth dealing with if you don't have to.

Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Good people do bad things.  Bad people do good things.  Sometimes people act like jerks for reasons we aren't privy to.  People sometimes overreact in the heat of the moment and then wish they could take it back once emotions have cooled.  I'm certainly glad that I am not judged by the worst thing I've ever done and I try to extend that courtesy to others.

But yeah, some people are just jerks through and through and aren't worth dealing with if you don't have to.

I agree, but we aren't talking about your typical run of the mill "oopsie" - to do something that would get you kicked off of an MMO requires active intent - you cannot accidentally harass someone, (unless we're getting into some extremely borderline cases where someone construes a comment as being offensive)...