Is there easy fix to noisy armor?

cohRock

The new stone armor is so good, there had to be a downside.  Crystal Armor's sound effect is it.  The sound probably predates the updates, but my "stone armor" tank was for all practical purposes, a Granite tank who very seldom had Crystal Armor active.  In contrast, Mud Pots is well behaved.  It has a glurpy, bubbly sound when it activates, but has the good sense to go silent after a few seconds.  Crystal Armor just keeps ringing those bells.  Those bells!  Aaaagh!

Is there an option somewhere, in menu or at tailor, to shut off an armor's sound?  This is crazy that I don't want to use a power because of its sound effect.  I've heard I can replace a power's sound effect by playing with files, but I'd prefer not to do that.

-- Rock

It's file replacement or unending audio assault.

Go to this thread, scroll to the bottom of the first post and download the file on the LEFT.  It's named silence.ogg .

Make a copy of that file (you'll be using it a lot eventually, so keeping the original intact saves time) and name it glow5_loop.ogg .

Go to the directory where you have Co* installed, navigate down to the directory named data.

Create a new directory in data, name it Sound.  Create a directory in Sound, name it ogg.  Create a directory in ogg, name it Powers.

Drop glow5_loop.ogg into Powers.

Launch the game and proceed to beat your head on the keyboard when you hear Minerals' incessant whine and Brimstone Armor's constant sharting.  But you won't hear Crystal Armor, so mission complete.

Edited by Luminara
Clarifying instructions
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

The only alt that drives me crazy is my Kheldian Dwarf. It sounds like a Transformer badly in need of some body work. I may hack the sound file on that one someday.

Hilarity ensues, though, when you put a Dwarf in Walk mode. Try it. "RATTLEBOOM.........RATTLEBOOM........RATTLEBOOM"

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

27 minutes ago, arcane said:

This game has sound?

It was an option in the pay store back on live.  I think it came out the issue before color was offered as a pay option.  So many people didn't like that it was pay only, that the devs eventually offered a work-for-it solution that people grudgingly accepted:  kill 5,000 boars to unlock it.  This explains why there are no more boars in City of Heroes.

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

The more I listen to Minerals and Brimstone together, the more convinced I am that it's one audio file of someone using a vacuum cleaner on their colon.

25 minutes ago, RikOz said:

If there's one sound I'd like to get rid of, it's that "whistling wind" sound every time an ice character has an ice sword in hand.

cold_loop.ogg , see instructions above.

Doesn't stop the draw sound, but it doesn't go on for eternity with that file silenced.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

12 hours ago, Luminara said:

The more I listen to Minerals and Brimstone together, the more convinced I am that it's one audio file of someone using a vacuum cleaner on their colon.

Oh. My. God. I think this warrants moderators obliterate your entire account, post history and all. It's only fair.

I used to love the sounds in this game, all of them...even the ones that accompany shields. One by one people complain and have them nerfed or outright removed all together. No matter how many powers and sounds get nerfed, it's never enough. People won't be happy, you just simply can't please people.

14 hours ago, Solarverse said:

I used to love the sounds in this game, all of them...even the ones that accompany shields. One by one people complain and have them nerfed or outright removed all together. No matter how many powers and sounds get nerfed, it's never enough. People won't be happy, you just simply can't please people.

The solution to pleasing the most people is to make armor sound effects optional.  Keep them on by default to avoid changing things, but allow players to click the sounds off should they so desire.

-- Rock

18 minutes ago, cohRock said:

The solution to pleasing the most people is to make armor sound effects optional.  Keep them on by default to avoid changing things, but allow players to click the sounds off should they so desire.

When this game was still new and players were complaining about the sound effects of Invuln Armor (which I loved) I suggested this same thing. This way players could turn them off if they like without ruining the game experience for others. Long story short, too difficult to code, so the Devs decided it was just easier to have the sound fade out, which for me personally stole from the experience of the game, having an armor running with no sound ruined a part of the immersion to me. As time went on, more and more powers followed.

Now this does not mean that it can't be done, but if the original Devs were unwilling to do so, then it's a decent bet that these devs will also be unwilling to do so. Even if they could do this, then they would most likely be asked by players like myself to reverse all the fading sound effects in the game to no longer fade...which is even more work.

I'm not against your idea, in fact, I wish your idea were implemented and might even publicly kiss you if it were implemented, lol. However, I don't see the devs jumping on this option.

• Like 1