What's the deal with...?

roleki

I was just wondering what the story was on Intangibility recipes and enhancements - as far as I can tell, they only exist as ghost entries in AH.  Was there a dark moment in history when Dimension Shift and Black Hole were making the game unplayable, and the devs only recourse was to nuke their life-giving Intangibility enhancements?

Anyone else have any unthreadworthy questions that might fit under this?

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

If I'm remembering correctly, part of the concealment pool used to have an intangible power, but the end usage of this toggle was quite a bit more than my low level characters could handle. I was in the red zone of the Hollows, and a CoT Spectral Ghost was dishing out some major damage. I popped the intangible power, and was safe...for about 15 seconds or so, when my endurance ran out and got defeated quickly. 

But, that was...man, that had to be issue 4 or 5 days. A long time ago, so I could be off. 

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

If I'm remembering correctly, part of the concealment pool used to have an intangible power, but the end usage of this toggle was quite a bit more than my low level characters could handle. I was in the red zone of the Hollows, and a CoT Spectral Ghost was dishing out some major damage. I popped the intangible power, and was safe...for about 15 seconds or so, when my endurance ran out and got defeated quickly. 

But, that was...man, that had to be issue 4 or 5 days. A long time ago, so I could be off. 

That was phase shift. It still exists. Back in the old days everyone took it in PvP as a oh shit I'm about to die (not today Satan) power. PvE players took it for pretty much the same reason and it trivialized content so the devs made it drain more end and have a timer on the power to only last 30 seconds, make it so you couldn't use rest when it was on and have a lockout from being able to phase for awhile.

3 hours ago, roleki said:

I was just wondering what the story was on Intangibility recipes and enhancements - as far as I can tell, they only exist as ghost entries in AH.

They were removed in the I25 update, according to the wiki.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Issue_25 - under Rewards header.

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

If I'm remembering correctly, part of the concealment pool used to have an intangible power

And still does.  Phase Shift hasn't been phased out.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I'm not really sure why they were ever removed. Some tiers of the Cardiac and Resilient alphas used to boost intangibility duration but it looks like those have been replaced with absorb instead.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

I always thought nerfing phase was a blunt instrument. I would have simply turned off XP and inf gain while phased.

C'mon, give the ol' Astral Plane a break!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I take the P2W Phase shift on many characters.  It is rarely used I often forget it.  Two memorable recent uses: 1) last Synapse mission, a Brute running through the mission to get to end. 2) same Brute running through Oranbega on a Treespec to get to the tree and vine room. It is literally a game changer when you need something exactly like it and nothing else will suffice.  

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Concealment

Invisibility PhaseShift.png Phase Shift

You can Phase Shift to become out of sync with normal space. Although you do not become completely Invisible, you are translucent and hard to see. You are intangible, and cannot affect or be affected by those in normal space. Although this power is a toggle, you cannot remain Phase Shifted for more than 30 seconds, even if you still have Endurance. Cannot be used with Rest. You must be at least level 14 and have two other Concealment Powers before selecting Phase Shift.

Recharge 180 seconds
Minimum Level 14 (All Archetypes)
Effects Toggle: Self Intangible
Enhancements  Reduce Endurance Cost
   Increase Attack Rate
Set Categories None

I only had this power on one character before the Sunset. I'm sure I'm going to have at least one character with it.

I don't know how you can be a true Ninja without it. Get invisible or stealth head toward some big bad you have to pass by to stealth a mission and punch the phase shift and find some good place to hide on the other side. If you can't do that in 30 seconds, you're no ninja ... 

speed-racer-pops-racer.gif

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Haha 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Intangibility recipes were removed because, as I recall, they actually had no effect at all.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.