Eternals - now "free" on Disney+

Was there a thread on this?

This is a movie for everyone who said that what the MCU needed was

• more epic characters out of touch with regular humans
  • movies with lots of heroes in them so none of them get very fleshed out
  • heroes fighting other heroes

I really don't know what the thought was behind this movie.  The story is not bad, but the structure is slow and semi-confusing.  

The only things I liked were the post credit scenes.

It wasn't bad, way different than the comics that I remember though. I call this a "filler" movie, it was necessary to pass info along leading up to other upcoming movies and tell their own story along the way.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I didn't dislike it but it was incredibly boring and slow. If you're going to dump that many characters at once it helps if more than a couple are halfway interesting (Dane and Sersi being dull is particularly worrisome since they are most likely to be big players later). I'm wondering if there'll actually be a sequel to this or if 

Spoiler

The Titan branch Eternals stuff will just be paid off in GOTG 3.

It's very pretty, with a very pretty cast. 

But. Gorgeous visuals, epic cheekbone acting and a Patton Oswalt guest shot in a tailgag aside, plus some other weirdo - it doesn't make you care enough about any of these characters. The fractured family dynamic doesn't take hold, the eternal love story at its core isn't convincing, there's a lot of world-building with Big Bads And Terrible Events That Were Probably In Capitals In The Script...

So: a shiny bauble, a curiosity, an object lesson on how to do landscape shots and pans... and better on D+ where I can fast forward.

Going forward, I'm aware Feige and co have a grand masterplan for phase 4, 5, whatever that looks like the default conspiracy.gif. But I wouldn't mind if Sersi, Arishem and co vanished for good - though more Kingo would be fun, especially if Hotstar wanted their own series - and just pay off the two tailgag sequences. 

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Watched the first 5 minutes

Brain went: Marvel's Power Rangers

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I'm a pretty hardcore marvel guy with a pretty good knowledge off comics and an ability to shrug of most adaptational changes....but I didn't dig this one.  I fell asleep in the theatre during the first act.   I'll give it another try on D+ but I'm not sold.

I actually always kinda liked the Black Knight, with the Ebony Blade and the winged horse and such, but it was just a glorified cameo, which may be what turned me off.

Edited by Aracknight

On 1/17/2022 at 5:16 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I... a Patton Oswalt guest shot in a tailgag ...

Would that be one of the Koenigs or M.O.D.O.K.?  If the former, that may be the first interesting thing I've heard about The Eternals.

Normally I'm all excited for any Marvel movie.  I've just heard so much "meh" about this one, and I gather that it has kind of distanced itself from the main path of the movies (as @Glacier Peak notes) that it probably will be the first Marvel movie on which I'll take a pass.  Just let me see the tidbits, if any that tie into the main MCU arc and I'm good.

To be honest though, I've always preferred the street level storytelling of Marvel.  To me, whenever Marvel shoots up to the "phenomical cosmic power" level, I'm always left feeling it is out-of-control "magic" scaling.  In short, I'd much prefer a Captain America scale to the story than a Galactus scale.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Techwright said:

Would that be one of the Koenigs or M.O.D.O.K.?  If the former, that may be the first interesting thing I've heard about The Eternals.

Nope on both counts. He's 

Spoiler

Pip the troll

which is too bad, as MODOK is the only thing I've ever liked him in.

• 3 weeks later

Given the overall "meh" reputation this movie has garnered, I was pleasantly surprised to find it enjoyable. Perhaps it helps to play lots of Civilization—or just to have lowered expectations. It's definitely a slow burn though, I can see why someone expecting Marvel's usual fast and quippy style would be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later

There is one critique I keep seeing which is really off base: "Why didn't they help with the Chitari/Ultron/Thanos?" Because those threats all popped up on short notice. By the time the world knew they were happening, the Avengers had already dealt with the situation. The one exception being life post-Snap but even there a) what were the Eternals supposed to do once it had happened? and b) the Earth would have returned to its original population within a century*, a trivial inconvenience to millennia-old immortals.

*Yes, Thanos' plan was dumb.

On 1/17/2022 at 4:16 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

very pretty cast

They went out and got a bunch of famous names, but nearly everyone they has is a stiff/brooding/dull screen presence who is usually just there for more interesting characters to fall in love with.  Was it a director decision for them to act that way because they were non-human?  Because if it was, it made for a terrible movie.

Kit Harington (playing a human) was the only character with any personality.  I thought he really stood out a lot in this movie.  I'm interested in seeing what they do with him next.

Edited by Shred Monkey

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow