Split energy blast into 2 sets...

biostem

One thing that's bugged me for a while now is how the energy blast sets seems to kind of be trying to be 2 different things at once.  I feel like the set should be replicated/split into 2 sets - they can look identical, but have 2 different effects:

1. "Concussive Blast" would the one with all the knockbacks, but change the damage type to smashing.

2. "Energy Blast" would deal pure energy damage, but instead of the knocks, it could apply some other secondary effect - maybe no secondary effect for the enemy, but an overall lower end cost or slightly better recharge rate to compensate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Maybe the "energy blast' set can have a very minor DoT secondary. Non-concussive/kinetic energy tends to burn after all.

I feel like that's fire's schtick, and also kinda what disintegrate does for beam rifle.  Giving it the slightly better end cost and recharge times would make it feel like a more "efficient" or "pure" set, IMO...

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rudra said:

Disruption of some type also works for non-concussive energy. I was trying to not step on fire's toes by saying a very minor DoT, so fire would still have the better DoT. Just throwing ideas here.

Maybe a small chance of disorient or something.  I wonder if something like a mag 1 immobilize in all the attacks would be too much...

• Like 1

Just now, MTeague said:

I sort of want every power in every powerset to apply a mag 200 knockback for April Fool's Day now.

Including aura heals.

I'd team for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

22 minutes ago, biostem said:

One thing that's bugged me for a while now is how the energy blast sets seems to kind of be trying to be 2 different things at once.  I feel like the set should be replicated/split into 2 sets - they can look identical, but have 2 different effects:

1. "Concussive Blast" would the one with all the knockbacks, but change the damage type to smashing.

2. "Energy Blast" would deal pure energy damage, but instead of the knocks, it could apply some other secondary effect - maybe no secondary effect for the enemy, but an overall lower end cost or slightly better recharge rate to compensate.

Boring.

27 minutes ago, biostem said:

Maybe a small chance of disorient or something.  I wonder if something like a mag 1 immobilize in all the attacks would be too much...

Stun is a good pairing on melee.

Stun also goes well with 'Concussive', new set new name.

Cosmic Burst is one of my favorite powers because of the stun. I'd take a set that did that.

"Cosmic Burst smashes the target with cosmic particles. The attack is very short range, but the damage is devastating and can leave most targets Disoriented and with reduced Defense."

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

46 minutes ago, biostem said:

That's claws but as a rad blast set.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Ohhhhh.... yea that would be cool. 🙂

ranged claws.. NEW SET!

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

This seems a lot like Super Strength - there's a big demand for change and a big demand from the people who love it as it is, leaving the devs paralysed by the fierce feedback of both groups.

I don't see anyone really losing out by providing this choice of variants. Good idea.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

jrangersmall.gif.61f0f73dd3687cc1ffd63cf8694b421f.gif

• Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

So do current energy blast players lose their energy damage or their knockback?  I dont mind new powersets but this suggestion only takes away from my energy blast user.  Makes me feel like its an I want energy blast without the knockback suggestion.  In my opinion,  Energy Blast is the only real blast set.  You shoot energy and the knock blasts them away.  I consider other sets improperly named.  They should be Fire Shot,  Ice Shot,  Electric Shot ect.  You shoot fire but nothing got blasted.  (i dont actually think they should be named this,  it looks and sounds goofy and was just to illustrate that i dont feel enemies are being blasted if they never get pushed even a little bit)

So go for it with a suggestion for a new powerset but please dont nerf my energy blast.  I wouldnt say Ice blast is pointy so lets split the set into lethal damage with the rest the same and the other power set is ice damage but a snipe power instead of 2 holds.  But suggested as is it either takes away my energy damage or my knockback and i cant support that.

1 hour ago, TheZag said:

So do current energy blast players lose their energy damage or their knockback?

Since the 2 sets would have identical powers, save for the difference in damage type or effects, you'd have to pick one or the other, or these 2 could be added as completely new sets; "Power Blast" and "Concussive Blast", or something...

4 hours ago, biostem said:

WIND BLAST WIND BLAST WIND BLAST WIND BLAST! ❤️ 

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, biostem said:

Since the 2 sets would have identical powers, save for the difference in damage type or effects, you'd have to pick one or the other, or these 2 could be added as completely new sets; "Power Blast" and "Concussive Blast", or something...

The reason I think this is boring is because this serves no conceptual use.  It's purely mechanical and can be completely duplicated with slotting.

The thing is, you *can* create a unique concept with an interesting mechanic but you chose not to, leaving only an empty agenda laying out for everyone to see.  I'd almost think this was a joke post rather than a serious suggestion.  Is the next suggestion going to be splitting Storm Summoning into 2 sets too?

Or just come up with an actual set idea. It wouldn't be the first post to reuse an existing set but with a different design/concept.

6 minutes ago, Naraka said:

The reason I think this is boring is because this serves no conceptual use.  It's purely mechanical and can be completely duplicated with slotting.

The thing is, you *can* create a unique concept with an interesting mechanic but you chose not to, leaving only an empty agenda laying out for everyone to see.  I'd almost think this was a joke post rather than a serious suggestion.  Is the next suggestion going to be splitting Storm Summoning into 2 sets too?

Or just come up with an actual set idea. It wouldn't be the first post to reuse an existing set but with a different design/concept.

First, you are completely wrong.  Second, just because YOU cannot think of a conceptual reason for this set does not mean that one doesn't exist.  My concept is simple - there are characters in comics that have "energy blasts" that do no involve sending enemies flying all over the place.  I want to be able to emulate such a character without having to play the market/IO subgame.  I mean, you could say that dark blast isn't needed because there is an incarnate ability that adds a tohit debuff, or that sonic isn't necessary because there are IOs that add -RES.  If it's a matter of all the powers being identical to the OG energy blast, well I'm not against mixing things up a bit, animation-wise.  Otherwise, it seems to me that you are one of the people that think if other ideas are proposed, it necessarily takes away from suggestions or other implementations that YOU personally want to see promoted.  Regardless, you came into this post with nothing constructive to add, and now that you've said your peace, thank you for your opinion, now please move along.

Just now, biostem said:

First, you are completely wrong.  Second, just because YOU cannot think of a conceptual reason for this set does not mean that one doesn't exist.  

That's the thing. I *CAN* think of *ACTUAL* concepts that literally take the visuals of Energy Blast but gives them a purpose to exist besides not wanting to slot KB to KD IOs.  I already thought of 2 different ones and you've got nothing.

On 2/28/2022 at 3:45 PM, biostem said:

Electric Blast ?

🤔

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

With the amount of powers that count as 'energy' I'd love to see more diversification of damage types. I know its l possible to add more but that would require a revision of almost every NPC and Armor powerset in game to accommodate that kind of change.

But, if it was on the table, I think making Radiation and Electricity their own damage types would be good, while keeping Energy damage for everything else. 

(Edit: I would also change Sonic to a Psionic powerset, but that might be less plausible)

Edited by Tyrannical

8 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

I think making Radiation and Electricity their own damage types would be good

We don't need more damage types, but both sets could benefit from an expansion in what damage types they deal:

Radiation could also deal some toxic damage, and electricity could deal some fire damage.

8 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

I would also change Sonic to a Psionic powerset, but that might be less plausible

IMO, Sonic should be smashing damage, since you are literally pelting your target with what amounts to compressed or vibrating waves of air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1