Indomitable Needs Your Help

Turric

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

This is an off-prime hours screen shot.

The increase of population on Indom has happened just lately, and it is still lower than Torchbearer in prime time.

That was a very much tongue-in-cheek post. A "Torchbearer needs your help" thread would be about as useful as this one, and this one's about as useful as a rusty spoon on steak night.

• Haha 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

55 minutes ago, macskull said:

That was a very much tongue-in-cheek post. A "Torchbearer needs your help" thread would be about as useful as this one, and this one's about as useful as a rusty spoon on steak night.

I think this is actually being useful.

I have seen change in the population.

The post was even an example of it .. be it in off-peak times.

I've also seen increases in pop on Everlasting percentage-wise against Excelsior. 

Torchbearer dies off around midnight EST on the week nights.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, macskull said:

Rusty or not, you should stop using a spoon for steak night anyway.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

16 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

MSR’s really are the most dull thing you could do in CoH

Nah, that's farming.  There's no taking down a drop-ship in farming, for instance.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

5 hours ago, macskull said:

Not really on-topic, but the "holy trinity" was never really a thing in this game.

i’m not sure, it feels like back on live there was much more of a need for each AT in teams for some of the trickier content - e.g a strong tank, a bubbler/sonic etc

everything feels a bit “samey” thesedays when you can complete any content (aside from aeon) with any team makeup and no real cooperation or mob strategy needed

perhaps its more a reflection of my dreadful ability to play the game as a teenager back on live.. 😅

16 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

i’m not sure, it feels like back on live there was much more of a need for each AT in teams for some of the trickier content - e.g a strong tank, a bubbler/sonic etc

everything feels a bit “samey” thesedays when you can complete any content (aside from aeon) with any team makeup and no real cooperation or mob strategy needed

perhaps its more a reflection of my dreadful ability to play the game as a teenager back on live.. 😅

I'm referring to "trinity" as "tanks/heals/DPS," which thanks to relative character power level vs NPCs and the insane strength of buffs and debuffs means you never really needed all three. If everything's feeling more "samey" now it's at least partly because the average character is more powerful than they were back on live (this is A Good Thing) and partly because the game's been around for so long people have most of the nuances figured out. I like the ability to hop onto pretty much any team and have an expectation of being successful in most content, though I've found the ultimate determination of whether a team will be successful in any given content is the players behind the keyboard.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, macskull said:

I'm referring to "trinity" as "tanks/heals/DPS," which thanks to relative character power level vs NPCs and the insane strength of buffs and debuffs means you never really needed all three. If everything's feeling more "samey" now it's at least partly because the average character is more powerful than they were back on live (this is A Good Thing) and partly because the game's been around for so long people have most of the nuances figured out. I like the ability to hop onto pretty much any team and have an expectation of being successful in most content, though I've found the ultimate determination of whether a team will be successful in any given content is the players behind the keyboard.

i would argue that it’s a bad thing that characters are now more powerful - if people have become better at playing *and* characters have had a boost, that’s a double whammy of content being less challenging

for me, the new Aeon TF on relentless was a breath of fresh air as it introduced challenge and success uncertainty into the game. in my opinion CoH is best as a cooperative / slightly strategic game rather than a superhero version of Killing Floor

i’m playing much more redside lately to see if it brings some of the spark back, i’ve never explored CoV much other than the TFs, will be playing an unfamiliar-to-me AT also (stalker)

Red side can make blue side content seem like a walk in the park if you are willing to push the envelop in terms of diff setting while soloing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

9 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

Back on live, one of my friends regularly ran all-defender Statesman task forces.  They were a walk in the park.

Conversely, I did an all-melee Kahn TF on Homecoming and it was absolute torture.

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

On 4/20/2022 at 9:32 AM, MoonSheep said:

[...] MSR’s really are the most dull thing you could do in CoH

Meanwhile, literally the only thing that I've done in COH in the last two months is log on occasionally to do an MSR, and the primary reason is because I find them to be pretty fun.  

On Indom.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, which is it, young feller?  You want I should freeze or get down on the ground?
If'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop.  And if'n I drop I'll be in motion.

14 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

i would argue that it’s a bad thing that characters are now more powerful - if people have become better at playing *and* characters have had a boost, that’s a double whammy of content being less challenging

for me, the new Aeon TF on relentless was a breath of fresh air as it introduced challenge and success uncertainty into the game. in my opinion CoH is best as a cooperative / slightly strategic game rather than a superhero version of Killing Floor

i’m playing much more redside lately to see if it brings some of the spark back, i’ve never explored CoV much other than the TFs, will be playing an unfamiliar-to-me AT also (stalker)

I think the biggest change between live and Homecoming is the accessibility of the "good stuff." On live you had to painstakingly grind out Incarnate progress, and even a modest IO build was hundreds of millions of inf unless you got lucky drops. Here it's very easy for me to come up with a character idea, level it, and IO/accolade/incarnate it, which makes me more willing to play especially compared to the other servers out there where things aren't quite so easy.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, macskull said:

I think the biggest change between live and Homecoming is the accessibility of the "good stuff." On live you had to painstakingly grind out Incarnate progress, and even a modest IO build was hundreds of millions of inf unless you got lucky drops. Here it's very easy for me to come up with a character idea, level it, and IO/accolade/incarnate it, which makes me more willing to play especially compared to the other servers out there where things aren't quite so easy.

that’s a good point - playing on teams where mostly everyone is able to afford a fully min/maxed build will certainly help with mission/TF progress

53 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I have a presence on Indominable, but my new philosophy there is if someone politely asks you to join something, you sure as shit join that thing.  Just had a very enjoyable 4 person Posi I.

I assume that was us. It was almost was 5-player. We had 6 for Posi 2. We had to show a person some things, but that was about it. Well, beyond a couple times taking on more than we should. :P

• Like 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

If you need a person to team with, @Marbing is my global. I am usually on every night between 7pm-11pm. GOAT (the greatest SG of all time) runs all kinds of fun teams: AV’s, Patron Arcs, Task Forces, Radios, RWZ, DA, GM smashing, Accolade runs, AE stories, Farms, etc etc all with our signature hilarity and we would love to have you! 

Edited by Marbing

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)

On 4/23/2022 at 11:17 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

my new philosophy there is if someone politely asks you to join something, you sure as shit join that thing.

Honestly, if you are trying to build a community, that's the lowest level thing you can do.

Fostering the lowest level characters go a long way ... and most of those players ... if they are new ... are going to be unlikely to recruit.

You don't have to spend all your game time building Community, but, if you take some of your time, use search to see where the teams are needed level-wise and recruit for task forces, mission teams, etc. around that level ... you are a much better boon to the game in general.

Power-leveling doesn't build community.

Speedy task forces don't build community.

Playing the game together builds community.

Chat it up when you have time to show interest in what other players are doing.

Share knowledge - pay attention and respond to the help channel!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Never let it be said that I didn't do the absolutely lowest level thing I can do!

For most it's a DFB.

Show the new guys what it's like to team up with others from the get go.

On 4/25/2022 at 6:12 AM, UltraAlt said:

Power-leveling doesn't build community.

Speedy task forces don't build community.

Playing the game together builds community.

Chat it up when you have time to show interest in what other players are doing.

Share knowledge - pay attention and respond to the help channel!

Can you post this over to the.. bring your asbestos suit.

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 5 months later

Looking at @macskull's player population chart here, you can see that all of the shards got a big spike in activity for the Independence Day weekend and when Page 4 launched, but quickly went back down to their prior states and have remained fairly steady... all except Indomitable and Reunion.  Indomitable and Reunion seem to have both lost about a third of their population between May and October of this year.  Where they went, to another shard or just left Homecoming, no idea.  Their populations were tiny to begin with, so if they migrated to a mixture of Excelsior and Everlasting it'd just be a blip.

Edited by Astralock

How much does it cost to run an individual shard?  The October donations thread shows a payment of about $4000 to OVH last month.  Would shutting down one of the five shards actually save 20% of that cost? 

I'm not saying we should shut down any shards.  But since saving money seems to be the only reason to shut down a shard, I'm wondering how much that would actually save.

4 minutes ago, Zhym said:

How much does it cost to run an individual shard?  The October donations thread shows a payment of about $4000 to OVH last month.  Would shutting down one of the five shards actually save 20% of that cost? 

I'm not saying we should shut down any shards.  But since saving money seems to be the only reason to shut down a shard, I'm wondering how much that would actually save.

Number Six recently said on Reddit that Homecoming will not shut down any shards, as they (except Reunion), share the same hardware.  So shutting down any shard other than Reunion would not save any money.  Torchbearer, Indomitable, and Reunion will be left up for those who prefer to strictly solo and/or play on small teams, and everyone else can transfer to Excelsior or Everlasting if they wish.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

This is actually a good thing, because it means that HC is paying per virtual host (the hardware that virtual servers run on) and they can spin up as many instances as they need for the same cost.  So if (!) we see a big influx of players because of events and/or people getting time off over the holidays, HC won't have to pay out more $$ to keep us all happy. 

That said, the lack of volunteers is concerning.  I'd consider helping out more directly, except 'retirement' seems to be bleeding money and I may have to return to work at some point.   

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!