Super Speed & Speed of Sound

Bojutsu

These two powers seemed to be the same thing, but with a different secondary power and different audio/visual effects.

Except Speed of Sound does not provide any stealth like Super Speed does.

I wonder why not...

I'm guessing it's because it's a different power. ;)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

15 hours ago, Bojutsu said:

These two powers seemed to be the same thing, but with a different secondary power and different audio/visual effects.

I wonder why not...

As mentioned above, because they are different powers from different pools.  If they were exactly the same, then why have 2 different powers?  

A longer answer is, the Speed Power Pool is a traditional "Travel" power pool (Like Flight, Jumping, and Teleportation), whereas Experimentation is an "Origin" power pool (Sci/Tech) that just happens to have a travel power in it (like Sorcery (Magic) and Force of Will (Natural/Mutant)).

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Nothing prevents you from having both Speed of Sound and Hasten.

Right, obviously, but the 4 pool limit means anyone who is going to pick Hasten anyway is going to be more easily swayed by Super Speed even if Speed of Sound is the better individual power…

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

Right, obviously, but the 4 pool limit means anyone who is going to pick Hasten anyway is going to be more easily swayed by Super Speed even if Speed of Sound is the better individual power…

If you start off with Hasten as a goal and are up against the 4 pool limit, sure--I do not doubt that happens. I just do not know how often it happens. I see a lot of builds where Hasten is tacked on as a near last power pick and as you noted, you would have to be up against he pool limit.

FWIW, my Energy/Shield Stalker has Speed of Sound and Hasten. In this case the consideration was Adrenal Boost and trying to minimize its recharge--every 160.8s, which is not too shabby for a power with a base cooldown of 600s.

I don't really see how speed of sound is a better power than super speed in any way. They both give you the exact same speed and take the exact same enhancements so we're comparing their other effects. Super speed has speed phase and -100% threat level. Speed of sound has a teleport ability. If you plan to do speedies or stealth some content, super speed wins straight away just for its threat reduction and speed phase is handy if you aren't going deep into the stealth pool to get its superior version phase shift.

If you are never going to either do a speedy or stealth certain parts of your missions, threat reduction is still handy to have to avoid aggro in certain situations as a squishy. So the only thing speed of sound has going for it is its teleport ability. I tested it on beta a bit and it's basically an in-between of combat teleport and teleport. It goes further than combat teleport but gives no +tohit and is far slower. It is also far shorter than teleport and only a tiny bit faster (unlike what its animation might suggest it is not instant). And of course it recharges A LOT slower than both so it's a one time use thing.

If the teleport ability is important for you I'd say that super speed +teleport pool is a better option. Any good build will have hasten so you're sorta having to take two pools anyway and the teleports from the teleport pool are far superior. If the teleport from speed of sound was actually instant I could see its value even though not have the threat mitigation is still an issue.

Edited by Loc
  • Thumbs Up 1

Speed of Sound is better than Super Speed, on Brutes and Tankers.  You get the speed, and keep your threat magnifier.  Every Tanker I play and every Brute I intend to tank with takes it over Super Speed for that reason.  I've had Tankers complain that they had to work to get the aggro off of my Brute with Speed of Sound, compared to other Brutes using Super Speed. :P  I realize while speeding with Speed of Sound on a Brute or Tanker that I'm going to aggro things on the way, but honestly that's half the fun.  I bring surprise aggro to my teammates in the final room. :classic_tongue:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Loc said:

If the teleport ability is important for you I'd say that super speed +teleport pool is a better option. Any good build will have hasten so you're sorta having to take two pools anyway and the teleports from the teleport pool are far superior. If the teleport from speed of sound was actually instant I could see its value even though not have the threat mitigation is still an issue.

Speed of Sound looks at Super Speed + Teleport and places a phone call to Stealth, "Hey, whatcha doing tonight?"

7 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Speed of Sound is better than Super Speed, on Brutes and Tankers.  You get the speed, and keep your threat magnifier.  Every Tanker I play and every Brute I intend to tank with takes it over Super Speed for that reason.  I've had Tankers complain that they had to work to get the aggro off of my Brute with Speed of Sound, compared to other Brutes using Super Speed. :P  I realize while speeding with Speed of Sound on a Brute or Tanker that I'm going to aggro things on the way, but honestly that's half the fun.  I bring surprise aggro to my teammates in the final room. :classic_tongue:

I would say that if you don't do speedies or get phase shift from the stealth pool I agree with this. Being able to phase shift during a speedy is quite important. You can just turn off super speed in combat of course but I admit that this is a work around. If you got the room for the pool I would say that's a valid point yeah.

Edited by Loc

To dispel any disinformation in the thread (or before @Bopper posts the numbers himself) I thought I would repost patch notes on both powers below:

SuperSpeed_SuperSpeed.png.c7b0740d9fa4bdf6622415eef245128d.png Super Speed (0.228 end/per sec)

• You can run at super-human speeds! While running at such speeds, you are a blur, and many foes will not even notice you as you speed past them. As you run, you build momentum, allowing you to jump great distances, but only for a limited time. If you attack a target while this power is on, you will temporarily be slowed to normal speed. Super Speed also increases your maximum run speed by 30% and gives you access to the Speed Phase power whilst it is active.
  • Increases your run speed cap by 30% while toggled on (from 92.5mph to 120.25mph)
  • Has a new momentum leap mechanic
    • Running will build up momentum, allowing you to perform a single very high, very long jump after approximately 4 seconds of running. And jumping will cause you to expend your momentum - after landing, you'll need to remain grounded and running in order to perform another momentum jump. Super Speed's icon will gain a yellow ring when you are at maximum momentum

SuperSpeed_SpeedPhase.png.be2bac846fa85fc6ccc538976819a9c0.png Speed Phase (0.333 end/per sec)

• A toggle that removes collision with characters and sets you to Only Affect Self
    • This allows you to pass through enemies, allies, civilians, cars, and even the Atlas Park blimp!
    • The effects of this power (including the OAS component) will suppress if you are attacked or damaged by an enemy
    • Note: As this power doesn't actually make you intangible, it doesn't trigger (and isn't affected by) the No Phase timer

Experimentation_SpeedofSound.png.b0a70628ecee418730de416ea7fe7fd1.png Speed of Sound (0.228 end/per sec)

• Increases your run speed cap by 30% while toggled on (from 92.5mph to 120.25mph)
  • Grants access to Jaunt

Experimentation_Jaunt.png.67249f39d2cb10fcf7616cb666a06e38.png Jaunt (13.00 end/per activation)

• Click, Self Teleport. By clicking on this power and then selecting a location, it will cause the caster to vanish and reappear at their targeted location in 1 second
  • This power can be activated up to 3 times in a row before it triggers a cooldown

Combat_Teleport.png.aea719bb22d4911ea1aa202651b0da0c.png Combat Teleport (5.571 end/per activation)

• A quick-casting, short-ranged (100ft) teleport designed to be used in combat
  • The range of this power can be enhanced, but it cannot be buffed or debuffed by set bonuses or other powers
  • This power can be activated up to 3 times in a row before it triggers a cooldown
  • This power grants a small ToHit buff to your next attack
  • Combat Teleport emulates the feeling of Speed of Sound's Jaunt to quickly traverse the battlefield without the endurance cost burden of an active travel power

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 6/2/2022 at 3:20 PM, Bojutsu said:

I wonder why not...

Because breaking the sound barrier is not particularly stealthy.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my experience, if you're going to keep the power activated at all times, Speed of Sound is vastly superior to Super Speed once you've bound Jaunt to your target.  

Configured that way, you can tab into the next mob and appear there instantly without taking a huge hit to Fury... makes farming that much faster.  Got a teammate who's run too far ahead of the group and taking a beating?  Click on them from the team window, and poof, you're there with them.  AV running loose?  Jaunt to them.  

Simply put, if I roll a character with even one significant PBAoE, they're getting Speed of Sound.  SoS comes in at level 4, Hasten comes in at level 14.  No sacrifices need to be made.

• Thumbs Up 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!