LFG is not for conversations

Oklahoman

I don't disagree with you @Krimson on almost all of that. Yes, LFG is a valid place to post that you are looking for a farm, or advertising a farm. And I have no problem with people farming if that's fun for them. I often say that we don't know for sure if this game will be here tomorrow - we're operating in the gray here. So, if farming is fun for you, go for it.

Are you saying that the people wanting to join a farm might use a farming channel, but the people leading a farm might not? I can't really speak to that. I have a couple farmers on other accounts that I rarely need to use, and I usually do not advertise or accept others into those farms. But, when I do, I prioritize people posting in broadcast/local over LFG because I know they are here and ready to go. Once I'm in the farm, if I have an opening and any inclination to try to fill it, I do look at LFG. Personally, if a farming channel existed then in those cases I would look to the farming channel second rather than LFG, then LFG as my third option. But everyone would do their own thing, of course.

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

But aside from thinking the channel wouldn't get use, my main opposition to this is because the real goal is to segregate farmers and sitters from the other players, which doesn't sit right with me.

I get that. A dedicated, hard coded (like general and help) farming channel has been proposed by others before and shot down, probably for much the same reason. What I'd love to see even more would be the ability to have some filters on our tabs, so you could set up an LFG tab but then -#BAF and -#DFB to exclude lines, and maybe +#farm or +#MAG to highlight lines. But I doubt anything like that will ever happen, plus someone will come along soon and tell us all why that's a bad idea, anyway.

2 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

I get that. A dedicated, hard coded (like general and help) farming channel has been proposed by others before and shot down, probably for much the same reason. What I'd love to see even more would be the ability to have some filters on our tabs, so you could set up an LFG tab but then -#BAF and -#DFB to exclude lines, and maybe +#farm or +#MAG to highlight lines. But I doubt anything like that will ever happen, plus someone will come along soon and tell us all why that's a bad idea, anyway.

If we're going to go this route, then several channels might be better than one channel. That would make the issue of separating farmers and sitters from the general population less of an issue, because other groups would be included as well. I could certainly see an iTrial channel since those happen often enough. Maybe a Taskforce channel? If more than one was proposed, then having one for farming wouldn't be an issue. 

• Like 2

Since the dawn of the MMO the chat is and always shall be a quagmire. People will do what they want. You aren't really going to stop them.

Control.

You can only exercise control over yourself.

Don't like this/that/whatever then do something that is under YOUR control. Turn it off. Use /ignore. Chat tabs are editable.

For the most part, the more you wail into the void that you don't want someone to do said thing, they will absolutely DO said thing out of spite.

Controlling chat...interesting concept.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, shatterpoint said:

Since the dawn of the MMO the chat is and always shall be a quagmire. People will do what they want. You aren't really going to stop them.

Control.

You can only exercise control over yourself.

Don't like this/that/whatever then do something that is under YOUR control. Turn it off. Use /ignore. Chat tabs are editable.

For the most part, the more you wail into the void that you don't want someone to do said thing, they will absolutely DO said thing out of spite.

Controlling chat...interesting concept.

Precisely.

It's a similar cause and effect like those Explicit Lyrics labels they started putting on albums in the 1980's.

Eventually every band wanted one, because it meant their album would instantly go Platinum...

• Like 1

"Sanity is a one-trick pony.

You only get one trick: Rational Thinking.

Ahh, but when you're good and crazy, the sky's the limit!"

-The Tick 

I'm not so much looking for a separate Farm channel (the thought had already crossed my mind), as I am wondering if it's worth anyone's angst to try and enforce a bit of chat etiquette on LFG, or have a timer on it such that no one CAN post to it more often than once every 30 or 60 seconds, or some such. Farms aside, it's just as irritating and clutter-y, regardless of team type, for people to post:

LFM 2/8

LFM 3/8

LFM 4/8

LFM 5/8

LFM 6/8

LFM 7/8

Full, thx

...within the space of 3 minutes. It doesn't take much of that to push other messages off, at that rate, and THEN it becomes a "competition" to keep "your" message on the screen, against everyone else trying to do the same.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later

I thought it was ironic there was a conversation in the Help channel yesterday with people talking about how they don't like general chat and reasons why they don't listen to it...

I've also seen this in LFG when people are told to take it to general...

Edited by Akalabeth
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Herotu said:

I believe the young people would say, "Mo chat mo betta"

General Chat has its own channel, and if it needs to be cleaned up before someone is willing to wade into it, someone else needs to do that. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Looking for Group is not for General Chat. Nor is it for Help. We can tolerate the occasional misstep here and there, but we all benefit when people use the correct channels, and use the channels correctly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

qt3yi.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they are most probably on ignore.

Some of them even know that I have them on ignore.

But that won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it.

It's who they are. There is a group of them that have banded together to do it. They think that it is acceptable.

Ignore is a tool to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using it.

On 10/17/2022 at 3:36 PM, Krimson said:

If we're going to go this route, then several channels might be better than one channel. That would make the issue of separating farmers and sitters from the general population less of an issue, because other groups would be included as well. I could certainly see an iTrial channel since those happen often enough. Maybe a Taskforce channel? If more than one was proposed, then having one for farming wouldn't be an issue. 

They do need a LFF looking for farm channel