LFG is not for conversations

Oklahoman

There, I said it. Let the hate flow.

Look, I've played on other servers and I know their LFG channels aren't nearly as busy as ours on Excelsior. Those servers can tolerate that extremely witty reply you absolutely have to make in response to someone else's typo in an LFG post. In fact, it likely will be welcomed as the first time two messages were posted back-to-back to LFG in, what, days?

On Excelsior, though, we have numerous posts to LFG per minute, pretty much around the clock as far as I can tell. We are fortunate to have a lot of people trying to form groups. Maybe you don't realize how frustrating it is, then, when a conversation breaks out in LFG and our ad scrolls off the screen immediately.

No, I don't "own" any aspect of this game. But asking you to move a conversation to GENERAL or HELP is not some great offense worthy of a nasty /tell.

Anyway, that's the burr in my saddle this morning. How are you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • Thumbs Down 1

FARM MEH!!

note: few do more for group activities than @Oklahoman

much luv, saddle up

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

*sigh* It's early, and I haven't had enough coffee yet, but here we go.

So you all won't talk on Teamspeak, Skype, Discord, and now we're not supposed to talk on the in game chat channels?

Holy cats, Batmanuel! Why are we even playing an online game in the first place?

Riddle me this. Am I even allowed to look at you as I walk past? Or do I have to keep my eyes down as I pass by, M'Lord?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 7

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

*sigh* It's early, and I haven't had enough coffee yet, but here we go.

So you all won't talk on Teamspeak, Skype, Discord, and now we're not supposed to talk on the in game chat channels?

Holy cats, Batmanuel! Why are we even playing an online game in the first place?

Riddle me this. Am I even allowed to look at you as I walk past? Or do I have to keep my eyes down as I pass by, M'Lord?

Ah yes, because gods forbid ya use the general chat channel for handling, you know, general chat type conversations. We have all these different channels for different reasons. Having regular conversations in LFG, Help, etc. is considered bad form, even on Everlasting, as it clogs up those channels for what their intended use is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 8

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

2 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

So you all won't talk on Teamspeak, Skype, Discord, and now we're not supposed to talk on the in game chat channels LFG?

FIFY, and correct.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

28 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

FIFY, and correct.

Yeah, ok. I missed that you were talking specifically about the LFG channel. My mistake.

I'm going to blame the lack of coffee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

3 minutes ago, Krimson said:

Considering I was half awake when I replied, I believe you. 

I don't even have a good excuse. It's right there in the title.

I realized within minutes the mistake that I made. I thought about it for awhile, tried to come up with a way to salvage it, and finally came to the realization that I was just going to have to admit my mistake.

In my defense I'll say only that I'm not always an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

41 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

In my defense I'll say only that I'm not always an idiot.

Nobody thinks you are always an idiot.

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't care what everyone says about @PeregrineFalcon, I reckon they ARE fit to sleep with pigs!

• Haha 2

Yeah... I get it.  The OP is not wrong.  But personally, I find it more rude to shutdown a few people having a brief back-and-forth dialogue on LFG then it is to use LFG for a brief back-and-forth dialogue to begin with.  I mean, we're all adults here playing a video game and we all share the global channels equally.  None of us own them.  Myself, I'd rather see more personal interaction in the game then less, no matter what channel it's on. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

There seem to be quite a few that get upset when someone is having excessive non LFG chat in LFG (we see it all the time "PLEASE TAKE YOUR CHAT TO GENERAL, etc..)  and I completely understand that, I look to LFG to solely see if there is something I am interested in joining and unnecessary chat muddles it up. Bringing it to General or Help isn't that much to ask for to keep the  communication smooth. Just my .02...

• Thumbs Up 3

Main toons: Mistress-Six (Blaster), Cyber Bishop (Tank), D-Six (Blaster), Bowmistress (Blaster), Rina-Twelve (Blaster), Blazin' Bow (Blaster), 20 Fathoms (Blaster), Icee Qube (Blaster), Minaton (Tank), Princess Ariel Gabrielle (Tank), Lady Lilia M (Blaster)

I'm conflicted.

While I agree that LFG and Help should cater to looking for groups and seeking or responding to requests for help respectively, I also occasionally feel the need to post that "extremely witty reply you absolutely have to make."  On LFG its usually just that one off remark because, as Oklahoman says, Excelsior LFG chat is very busy and comments scroll by quickly. 

I'm guilty of doing it more often and more in depth on Help.  But I'm also constantly answering questions on Help.  Help channel usually doesn't scroll by as quickly unless there is some discussion going on.  It usually does start as a question and ends up being a debate among a few players but sometimes it is just playful banter.  While I agree that it can make it difficult to get help, I make it a point to respond to any questions made while I am engaging in the banter. 

Finally, I find that "take it to general" is as much off topic as anything else posted to those channels.  I don't monitor General, don't want to monitor General, and won't chat on General.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

24 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I'm conflicted.

While I agree that LFG and Help should cater to looking for groups and seeking or responding to requests for help respectively, I also occasionally feel the need to post that "extremely witty reply you absolutely have to make."  On LFG its usually just that one off remark because, as Oklahoman says, Excelsior LFG chat is very busy and comments scroll by quickly. 

I'm guilty of doing it more often and more in depth on Help.  But I'm also constantly answering questions on Help.  Help channel usually doesn't scroll by as quickly unless there is some discussion going on.  It usually does start as a question and ends up being a debate among a few players but sometimes it is just playful banter.  While I agree that it can make it difficult to get help, I make it a point to respond to any questions made while I am engaging in the banter. 

Finally, I find that "take it to general" is as much off topic as anything else posted to those channels.  I don't monitor General, don't want to monitor General, and won't chat on General.

General can be a toxic cesspool sometimes, it is good to stay away from it. I too occasionally do try to answer questions even if it is in LFG although most of the time Ill just send the person a tell with the answer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Main toons: Mistress-Six (Blaster), Cyber Bishop (Tank), D-Six (Blaster), Bowmistress (Blaster), Rina-Twelve (Blaster), Blazin' Bow (Blaster), 20 Fathoms (Blaster), Icee Qube (Blaster), Minaton (Tank), Princess Ariel Gabrielle (Tank), Lady Lilia M (Blaster)

LFG channel has a purpose. But it doesn't have to be boring, and witty or flavorable responses are totally fine. A brief conversation about what you're on about is fine too.

A) Tarikoss SF. Room for 2. Level 15+, red side.

B) Tarikoss SF! Red side! Level 15+! Got room for two. Beat down Infernal! Beat down giant rotisserie chicken demon! Get a badge! Get some merits! Spawn a zombie invasion!

B might get some snark. Both might get questions. A brief conversation about it is okay.

You want to talk about the hockey game in LFG? No. 

• Thumbs Up 2

at first i didnt mind chatter in LFG but now that someone is hating on something insignificant i think im going to do it for the negative attention from the people who failed the GM/janitor CoX application as well as the positive attention from other people using LFG for chatter

but honestly i blame people who are too hoity toity for general chat in the first place and the same hoity toityness to get into a private chat

16 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

a few people having a brief back-and-forth dialogue on LFG

First off, how many is a few, and how many messages do each of those few get to contribute to LFG?

3 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Finally, I find that "take it to general" is as much off topic as anything else posted to those channels.

Agreed, but if it ends a conversation that's been going on in LFG for several minutes, I think it's appropriate.

2 hours ago, Cyber Bishop said:

I too occasionally do try to answer questions even if it is in LFG although most of the time Ill just send the person a tell with the answer.

This is the way.

2 hours ago, TraumaTrain said:

You want to talk about the hockey game in LFG? No. 

The "hockey game" can start by looking like many things - "Healer LFT", "My league leader kicked me for no reason!", "I'll pay 10M for an AE farm", "Why won't anyone join my costume contest? Grand prize 10,000 inf!" Of course, sometimes a hockey game is just a hockey game, too. All that is to say that I agree with you.

Bottom line for me - if you are posting non-LFG stuff in LFG, you are not helping people LFG. You are making it harder for them to LFG. You are, in fact, anti-LFG. The occasional exception is quickly moved on from. The conversation drags on and becomes a problem.

• Thumbs Up 4

Honestly, LFG should be for LFG.  Folks talk in it, to prove a point they can do what they want.  That they give 0 fucks about anyone else and they are most important thing to exist on that chat or server or life or whatever.

I've seen same patterns over & over & over & over again.  Not just on this MMO, but every MMO.  All you can really do is just ignore the account at end of the day.  Eventually it will be just their own echo chamber with others like them.  Sounds like politics these days(or all days since politics).  But that's what it boils down to, Me over them, my chatting in a channel dedicated to something specific matters little, only what I say & do does.

You'll see it everywhere, especially even more in past several years.  -shrugs-  This ain't the community once was on live.  Hell 70% my ignore list is folks doing that in LFG, so much so, that when Ignored someone else other day, it removed a person off the list, cuz I reached the max for /ignore.  I still find folks for teams I lead, very regular like though, so -shrugs-

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

As I see it, there are a few ways things can go, here:

1. Mods/GMs/Devs make an official statement on the matter and start enforcing the "proper" use of each official chat channel.

2. Players continue to try and self-moderate/internally-moderate the official channels, with mixed results.

3. The official chat channels become a free-for-all, and players just have to deal with it.

In my experience, while it can get annoying at times, (and no doubt there are some people that troll these channels looking to get  arise out of someone), it's not so bad that it drowns out people using these channels for their intended purpose...

On 6/3/2022 at 10:44 AM, Oklahoman said:

But asking you to move a conversation to GENERAL or HELP is not some great offense worthy of a nasty /tell.

Agreed. 

But /help is for questions and not "general" discussion.

People used to be just as bad about chatting in /help as they would get in /lfg.

/general is for chatting.

/lfg is for forming groups.

/help is for questions

it really isn't that hard of a concept. 

To some extent we are policing ourselves, so someone at some point has to be the adult in the room and say something to the offenders or they think that it is okay to continue being disruptive.

By having a chat in channel in the /lfg and/or /help channel, players are being disruptive to a majority if not all the other players on the server. Those players are the one out of line and not the person telling you that there are alternatives where you can chat freely. /general was created by the DEVs because of this issue - which has been ongoing.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

6 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

it really isn't that hard of a concept. 

To some extent we are policing ourselves, so someone at some point has to be the adult in the room and say something to the offenders or they think that it is okay to continue being disruptive.

I agree, but if someone is chatting in those channels specifically to get a rise out of people, (i.e. trolling), telling them to take it elsewhere is just the opening they're looking for - watch for calls of you being a channel n@z! or such.  If there was an official policy, then corrective action could be taken...

• Thumbs Down 2