Nobody cares if you're a vet

Literally what the subject says, it doesn't much matter to most in this game if you're a veteran of the old game. A lot of us are, I'd even say most of us are, but it doesn't need saying as if it provides prestige or immunity to criticism. I don't think this is a really large issue, but I have noticed it preceding opinions as if it validates them at times.

The only thing I think one should take away from being a veteran to this game, is a desire to provide help to those that are not or are returning casual players. It should be a helping hand at most, and never a bludgeon.

You misunderstand why its important, the reason is because you knew how amazing the community was then and your helping bringing that back to mmos like this one, it has nothing to do with ego or being better and more to do with the communities like on the rp servers.

Man, I fully agree with this as a good reason to bring up being a veteran. Well said.

I just wish that were the way it is usually expressed.

Exactly.

Just so we are clear, because I hate feeling like I may have agreed partially to something and folks think I signed the whole thing: I think mentioning being a vet in terms of remembering that wonderful community is a fine and dandy thing to do. It was different during it's time, although we still had some of the same issues other communities did, and the current one is more an admixture of both.  But I fully agree with Munkilord too, often when people bring up being a vet it's got a very ego-laden component. It's used to squash dissension, exert some type of privilege, and inform people that you are better or should be respected.

So it's not so much as I missed the point as you initially stated, I fully get that point. It's just not what people mean when they bring it up, on a practical level. I think both of you are right in what you say, and describing slightly different groups with some overlap.

Since I mentioned this is only due to a great community there really was no reason I know what you agree with and thats great.

Wrong coh attracts a different kind of people especially on blue side its not just like any other community ive played many mmos and especially compared to old days like everquest they are a really big difference thats not about ego lol. Seems your the one who has an issue with it to begin with and really just projecting your own ego.

I disagree. Your defensive response and shot at me just helps prove my point. We're just like every other gaming community out there. We have our helpful people, arrogant ones, rude ones, gamergaters, awesome people, lame ones, etc. I know people in this community, so I like it the most of the ones I've been around, but my personal feelings and attachment doesn't change my initial statement.

Wrong coh attracts a different kind of people especially on blue side its not just like any other community ive played many mmos and especially compared to old days like everquest they are a really big difference thats not about ego lol. Seems your the one who has an issue with it to begin with and really just projecting your own ego.

I disagree. Your defensive response and shot at me just helps prove my point. We're just like every other gaming community out there. We have our helpful people, arrogant ones, rude ones, gamergaters, awesome people, lame ones, etc. I know people in this community, so I like it the most of the ones I've been around, but my personal feelings and attachment doesn't change my initial statement.

He's right though. This community is unlike any other MMO community out there, with the exception of SWG, and even that game, they tend to get very angry with each other when they are having wars. Go play WoW, then come back to this game, see the extreme difference. Part of what makes this game great is the community. This game ahs the friendliest community I have ever seen in any MMO, these forums not included. For some reason, these forums are a very bad representation of the actual community...most likely because most people know forums have a tendency to be toxic, so they avoid them. I have only ran in to ONE player since this game was re-released that was a toxic player...he will stay on my ignore list for life. Other than him, this game has a wonderful community. Sorry you feel differently.

As far the your first topic, I already agreed with you on that one. This just pertains to the community in general and what you wrote above only.

It's more about overall conduct of some older players in public.
It is not really older players. Calling them out is unfair and untrue.  Anyone can claim to be a “Vet” after all. 

And there will always be someone who claims they have secretly more experience/knowledge/skill/precedence than you because they are older/younger/know someone/write games for a living/dated the janitor at N.C. soft or whatever. 

If someone is being a jerk in the forums, ignore them.  Making a thread to complain about seems counterproductive.

If you do not face plant at least once a day; Go reset your Notoriety.

I hang with MunkiLord on this one.

The percentages might be different, but that can be said about any MMO/game community.

How many people right on this forum can post about having been teleported to a high place launch by a troll?

The percentages might be different, but that can be said about any MMO/game community.

How many people right on this forum can post about having been teleported to a high place launch by a troll?

Sometimes that can be funny though! If I'm on a steamrolling team and we're all relaxed and joking, I have done that from time to time if I get to a mission door first. I'm very careful and selective about when I do that so as not to piss anyone off. Except for with jshmoe1236, we've been friends for a few decades and I'll do it to him anytime I get a chance.

It's more about overall conduct of some older players in public.
It is not really older players. Calling them out is unfair and untrue.  Anyone can claim to be a “Vet” after all. 

And there will always be someone who claims they have secretly more experience/knowledge/skill/precedence than you because they are older/younger/know someone/write games for a living/dated the janitor at N.C. soft or whatever. 

If someone is being a jerk in the forums, ignore them.  Making a thread to complain about seems counterproductive.

No I get that, and was going to make a caveat that anyone can claim it and it's nigh impossible to verify. For sake of conciseness, it's easier to make a blanket statement and accept being a "vet" at face value when the claim is made. But I get what you're saying and it had occurred to me.

My problem with having played CoX before is that it is shocking how much I have forgotten. I think being new to the game would actually better. Not a day goes by without me saying "Oh yeah, that's how you do that" "that's where she is" or "Drat, I shoulda..."

As we said in the old forums, QFT. What is old is new again. Enhancement Converters? LFT and Trial queues? Reward merits even? Hell, I remember when you were SOL if you outleveled a TF and missed a badge. The game is certainly a lot friendlier and more forgiving than when I started 15(!) years ago...

Obsidius

Excelsior Server | The Nightwatch

NW-738

Been playing since April 28th, 2004. This was my first MMO. I love that I have such a long and loving history with this game, and I was helped by so many people over the years...I enjoy paying it forward and using the things I've learned to help others enjoy the game even more.  Things have changed a lot since the early days for sure, but he love has remained steadfast. *proud vet*

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

I love that I have such a long and loving history with this game, and I was helped by so many people over the years...I enjoy paying it forward and using the things I've learned to help others enjoy the game even more.

That's how you do it Healix, I've got the same philosophy. I remember being a newb and making bad choices back in the day (once 6 slotted health). I got a lot of help from folks until I learned it, and I'm always going to stick my hand out to help the next person up.

Kudos to you.

Every small MMO thinks they have an outlier, best community. They look at things like WoW and EVE, and compare their little group to it, then proclaim their community best of all communities.

Reality is most MMOs have more decent people playing it than jerks. But the bigger the game gets, the more jerks there are even if the percentage of good people to jerks stays the same.

I've played tons of MMOs, pretty much since 1999 with everquest. And everyone thinks they found the secret happy MMO community. But they're all the same. Except second life... it needs to be nuked from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Every small MMO thinks they have an outlier, best community. They look at things like WoW and EVE, and compare their little group to it, then proclaim their community best of all communities.

Reality is most MMOs have more decent people playing it than jerks. But the bigger the game gets, the more jerks there are even if the percentage of good people to jerks stays the same.

I've played tons of MMOs, pretty much since 1999 with everquest. And everyone thinks they found the secret happy MMO community. But they're all the same. Except second life... it needs to be nuked from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Reality is older mmos are known for better communities and in a game where you can pretend to be a super hero has a more mature community I know this from years of experience in mmos across many servers. I also know this by playing again this community still beats the others.

There are probably advantages to being a vet.  You know that the chief point of having a supergroup is to share salvage and crafted enhancements and avoid Wentworth's.  The basic layout of the maps, and how you get across several rooms and where the mobs will spawn, is slowly coming back to me. 

There are also aspects of the 2012 game that I considered myself to be something of an authority on; for instance I had a level 50 tanker of all the primaries except Electric Armor, and all the secondaries save Titan Weapons. 

That said, I assume that you know better what your characters can do and how to use your powers effectively.  If you judge it important to immobilize enemies before I can round them up, I assume you have a strategy in mind where that helps.  If you need me to tank you'll let me tank, and this means using tanker approaches: corner pulls, let the mobs bunch up and then nuke them with your AoEs.  If the team is succeeding without any of that using the leader's chosen settings, great.  If it helps, you'll let me do it.  And you'll stop sprinting in the caves. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I love that I have such a long and loving history with this game, and I was helped by so many people over the years...I enjoy paying it forward and using the things I've learned to help others enjoy the game even more.

That's how you do it Healix, I've got the same philosophy. I remember being a newb and making bad choices back in the day (once 6 slotted health). I got a lot of help from folks until I learned it, and I'm always going to stick my hand out to help the next person up.

Kudos to you.

6-slotted Health? Ha what a noob!

Everyone knows it’s Brawl you gotta 6-slot!

MCM

Literally what the subject says, it doesn't much matter to most in this game if you're a veteran of the old game.

So as the duly elected representative of "most in this game", did you do your duty and poll everyone or are you just making assumptions based on your own opinion?

A lot of us are, I'd even say most of us are, but it doesn't need saying as if it provides prestige or immunity to criticism.

Don't recall anyone suggesting that it did

I was talking to a friend I brought back to CoH thanks to  Homecoming about all the things we had forgotten or did not know about the game after we left.

He said : it feels weird - we're noobs again.  ;D

Taum Athe et non je ne suis pas un fruit et encore moins un thaumaturge !

Literally what the subject says, it doesn't much matter to most in this game if you're a veteran of the old game.

So as the duly elected representative of "most in this game", did you do your duty and poll everyone or are you just making assumptions based on your own opinion?

A lot of us are, I'd even say most of us are, but it doesn't need saying as if it provides prestige or immunity to criticism.

DarkTyger - beyond picking apart subbacultchas comments - what are your thoughts?  Do you think vets should get special treatment, or that their comments are somehow more "right" than others because of their veteran status?  Or that they should be allowed to treat others poorly due to their veteran status?

Subbacultchas - I agree with this.  There is too much "vet-waving" in the forums.  As a veteran from Issue 2 to 24, I don't think I've earned anything except my own 8 years of enjoyment.  I'm definitely wrong about things (just look in the forums, I apologize at least every few days).  I have opinions on what is "fun" for me, but it is no more valid than any other persons "fun" opinion.

Where I do think vets, especially forum vets, add value, is by adding historical context to how/why things work the way they do.  We remember why changes were made (even if we didn't agree with them), and we can bring that forward to newer players who through no fault of their own lack that context.

+1 Inf Subbacultchas for the thread.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I say 'I played an archery/devices blaster and bots/dark MM back on live' as a way of saying, 'I sort of remember what it was like but am probably forgetting the fine details'.  It differentiates my much older memory from current experience.  I'm not trying to brag, I'm saying I'm rusty.  I haven't hit 50 with them yet, I haven't racked up innumerable incarnate runs, haven't respeced a dozen different times to try different enhancement set bonus etc in Homecoming with its little changes (see snipe, etc).

I'll have you know it was a very well set up poll with a wide sample size: I asked two babies, my grandma, and her cats. It was nearly an unanimous opinion except for Skittles, but he always has been a contrarian cat.

Truth here, nobody hurt me and provoked this thread. While people haven't suggested by word that vet implies prestige, all it takes a reading of the forums to see it displayed in action. Being a veteran clearly means a lot to some people and I understand that, it's that it seems to sometimes be laden with the expectation that it must mean a lot to others that gets me. Is this going to fit everyone's experience? No, a lot of folks don't do this and a lot of folks don't frequent the boards enough to see it. In that case it won't apply to you, but it's still not a bad thing to be reminded of. Those that do feel like they are owed something will probably read this and disregard it, but there may be a few that don't.

Regardless I still stand by this today. Flouting our game lineage isn't what made us the community that felt like family, helping others however was a big part of that. I hope we remember that more and more as this game grows and new players join it.

DarkTyger - beyond picking apart subbacultchas comments - what are your thoughts?  Do you think vets should get special treatment, or that their comments are somehow more "right" than others because of their veteran status?  Or that they should be allowed to treat others poorly due to their veteran status?

Subbacultchas - I agree with this.  There is too much "vet-waving" in the forums.  As a veteran from Issue 2 to 24, I don't think I've earned anything except my own 8 years of enjoyment.  I'm definitely wrong about things (just look in the forums, I apologize at least every few days).  I have opinions on what is "fun" for me, but it is no more valid than any other persons "fun" opinion.

Where I do think vets, especially forum vets, add value, is by adding historical context to how/why things work the way they do.  We remember why changes were made (even if we didn't agree with them), and we can bring that forward to newer players who through no fault of their own lack that context.

+1 Inf Subbacultchas for the thread.

Thanks Justice.