WORST solo challange.

Greymistbc1

So, I commented to my wife that I could solo anything.... which had me thinking.  What would be the _worst_.

Here's the rules:

1. Solo.
2. Full access to primary, Secondary, Pool and Epic. (no petless MM's).
3. No IO's or Sets.  Purchased or dropped enhancements only.
4. Prestige and Temp powers are OK, but you must fund your journey without outside help.

So far, the worst I can think of would be a AR/Pain or Rad/Pain Corruptor.   

Any suggestions?  

Thanks!

Pain has a very solid self-heal at lvl 1 and a ton of skippable powers for a soloist which allows more pool choices. Not sure that's the secondary I'd go for on the worst scale. And corruptor damage is high enough to make soloing pretty easy.

So you want something that will dish out crap damage while lacking any useful self-buffs or enemy debuffs that will particularly suck while solo on SOs.

That's a Peacebringer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Light Form is a solid self buff, and Glowing Touch is actually a pretty solid pocket heal for teammates pets/summons. Peacebringers are not the worst solo AT in my humble opinion (though I'll forfeit the fact that their inherent does rely on teammates lol).

Edited by Glacier Peak

Ice/Sonic Controller.  Fighting my way out of a wet paper bag was an endurance nightmare ... even after picking up Stamina.  Bad news when temp powers improve your damage output.  I'd love to try investing into IO Sets to see if it could be redeemed.  Obviously tried this quite early relative to IOs being around.  It's one of the few set pairs I never reached 50 on despite starting long before Sunset (and likely never would have).

Rad/Pain would be a piece of cake by comparison.  Or maybe things would get a whole lot better once Jack appeared.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Jack

13 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Ice/Sonic Controller.  Fighting my way out of a wet paper bag was an endurance nightmare ... even after picking up Stamina.  Bad news when temp powers improve your damage output.  I'd love to try investing into IO Sets to see if it could be redeemed.  Obviously tried this quite early relative to IOs being around.  It's one of the few set pairs I never reached 50 on despite starting long before Sunset (and likely never would have).

Rad/Pain would be a piece of cake by comparison.  Or maybe things would get a whole lot better once Jack appeared.

Ice/ff would be worse since there is no -res.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

2 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

Ice/ff would be worse since there is no -res.

You might be right once Jack's in play.  But you've got pretty much zero offense in Sonic Resonance.  Force Fields at least has some damage dealing.  Sonic's -resist ups the rather anemic damage of Ice which pre Jack on SOs is well anemic.

2 hours ago, Uun said:

You could make Jack virtually indestructible though. Now if you could only buff his AI.

The shields from Sonic will still make Jack tougher as well. Now add in the -res, and I would much rather have that.

53 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

You might be right once Jack's in play.  But you've got pretty much zero offense in Sonic Resonance.  Force Fields at least has some damage dealing.  Sonic's -resist ups the rather anemic damage of Ice which pre Jack on SOs is well anemic.

Sonic Siphon adds 22.5% -res to a single target for a controller. No, not really sexy at all, but it is at least something. Toss in Arcane Bolt and you at least can have a fairly early attack chain.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

2 hours ago, TheZag said:

Mercs/Trick Arrow

I almost snorted coffee out my nose.  I don't even know if its the worst but it just stepped out of the shadows, smacked me and said it was the worst and now I believe it.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

16 minutes ago, Uun said:

I also had a Traps/AR defender, which actually worked pretty well.

Traps is a very, very solid set as long as you don't move around too much. If you actually play to its strenghts and kite mobs into your trapped area, it's really strong.

Sadly, the average team doesn't use line-of-site aggro management and it's generally just more efficient for a tank to kind of roam around randomly and expect the AoEs to follow them. 

20 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Light Form is a solid self buff, and Glowing Touch is actually a pretty solid pocket heal for teammates pets/summons. Peacebringers are not the worst solo AT in my humble opinion (though I'll forfeit the fact that their inherent does rely on teammates lol).

Agree. They actually solo pretty well and exemplar down immaculately due to how strong the forms are for the levels you get them. 

I'd actually argue that Kinetics is one of the harder sets to solo with because so little of it benefits you. You've got a heal, some damage buffs and a recharge boost without the endurance boost to back it up until much later. You've got a weak recharge debuff, a weak damage debuff, if your heal misses you get no healing. You have to stay in midrange, which means melee in all practical terms, so you have to deal with the increased damage. 

It's a long road to 32 before you hit Fulcrum Shift. 

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Thumbs Up 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

44 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

I almost snorted coffee out my nose.  I don't even know if its the worst but it just stepped out of the shadows, smacked me and said it was the worst and now I believe it.

You're welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

The shields from Sonic will still make Jack tougher as well. Now add in the -res, and I would much rather have that.

Sonic Siphon adds 22.5% -res to a single target for a controller. No, not really sexy at all, but it is at least something. Toss in Arcane Bolt and you at least can have a fairly early attack chain.

🙄  well I suppose one could go with a chain of pool attacks but that's dang near cheating 😜 but it would work.

2 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

🙄  well I suppose one could go with a chain of pool attacks but that's dang near cheating 😜 but it would work.

ST Hold and ST Immob with Arcane Bolt. There's no need to dip that heavily in pool attacks. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

I've always found soloing controllers, at least until the pet gets built up, to be painful. Pretty safe, unless you run up against something that resists controls, but slow, even with IOs and Assault + fighting pool powers. With that in mind, mind control/empathy is probably the least appealing solo character for me.

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

5 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:

I'd actually argue that Kinetics is one of the harder sets to solo with because so little of it benefits you. You've got a heal, some damage buffs and a recharge boost without the endurance boost to back it up until much later. You've got a weak recharge debuff, a weak damage debuff, if your heal misses you get no healing. You have to stay in midrange, which means melee in all practical terms, so you have to deal with the increased damage. 

It's a long road to 32 before you hit Fulcrum Shift. 

I can attest to this.  One of my friends had a Kin and, well... they really struggled soloing.  So we ended up duo'ing that character to 50 alongside my Dark/Dark scrapper, who needed exactly the kind of help a Kin can provide.  It turned out to be a duo made in heaven.