Level Up - Tokens

Troo

We can recognize that many folks wanna advance levels or avoid level ranges. I could be agreeable to this IF, even comically, it is earned.

Folks write that they've done the same thing over & over and want to build a new alt while avoiding some of the grind. Okay.

I would propose a Level Up Token or similar vehicle which can be redeemed for somewhere less than level fifty. Something around 40.

Activities from levels ~40 through 50 could keep the wheels turning for game economy and such. 10 levels of exp, $$, drops, etc.

40 provides the opportunity to play to 50 or get there by other means, we still can choose.

• Needing a 50 to get it makes sense. (should it be more than one?)
  • An infamy sink could makes sense. (how much is enough?)
  • A certain number or combination of badges could make sense. (similar to how some accolades work)
  • Maybe have ~80% of zones enabled for a Long Range Transporter (we've actually visited most of the zones)

A different level around 40 might work better, where ever the balance of $$, drops, exp, etc occurs.

• Levels 1-'x' equals the same as approximately 'x'-50.

I agree with the many folks who said level 50 tokens could be a bad idea. But I think something reasonable could be cooked up.

Accommodating the spirit of the request and keep folks actually playing. Sure some will PL the rest of the way but this is better for them too.

Edited by Troo
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

How about one token per level, and they don't apply once you hit 40, or maybe 35?

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Thanks 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

38 minutes ago, Troo said:

An infamy sink could makes sense. (how much is enough?)

Encourages RMT, not acceptable to this development team.

38 minutes ago, Troo said:

A certain number or combination of badges could make sense. (similar to how some accolades work)

Fails to enforce the requirement.  Anyone can get any badge any time without any effort, without even being present while logged in, simply by allowing another character to carry them, the same way they can get XP, inf*, drops.

And this adds market stress the same way insta-50 does.  The market relies on input, a character instantly leveled to X, regardless of what number you attach to X, generates nothing to input.  Increased demand, decreased supply, inflation rises.

No.

• Thanks 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

24 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Fails to enforce the requirement.  Anyone can get any badge any time without any effort, without even being present while logged in, simply by allowing another character to carry them, the same way they can get XP, inf*, drops.

I did say even if comically earned.

Besides, PvP looks like they'll be handing out instant Tier 4 50s with all the bells a whistles. Talk about market impacts.

I do agree about market concerns. I think there is a median point that could balance supply & demand.

Levels 1-10 are likely not contributing as much as level 48-50.

There seems to be a trend, and we can be part of molding the future or hurl expletives from rocking chairs on the porch.

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

42 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Anyone can get any badge any time without any effort, without even being present while logged in, simply by allowing another character to carry them, the same way they can get XP, inf*, drops.

Yeah because that's what every single person will do all the time.  And like everyone else in the game is so willing to let others carry them through TFs to unlock things like TF Commander that could be part of the badge requirement.  🙄

• Thanks 1

Second brainstorm, why more people don't just make their home there is beyond me.

You don't want to grind to get maximum rewards - done, it even gives you all the accolades, imagine the grind to get all those!

You don't want to worry about the economy - done , you are so rich, or nothing holds value, that your net worth would make even yomo jelly.

You have a family and can't spend too much time in the game - 10 minutes gets you a fresh 50 IOed to the gills with T4 incarnates and you can even run AE farms for another 20 minutes after that.

I have characters that's sitting idle there for over a year and a half now so it's not like the shard is constantly being wiped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

2 minutes ago, Astralock said:

No.  That’s not a game.  That’s an instant “I win!” button.  For people who want that sandbox experience, Cake/New Dawn is ———> that way.

Brainstorm is there too and very few people use it, so your argument about the "I win!" button does not hold any water.  If it did, the majority of the players would be on Brainstorm. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Troo said:

Besides, PvP looks like they'll be handing out instant Tier 4 50s with all the bells a whistles. Talk about market impacts.

Instant 50s for PvP.  Restricted to PvP zones.  I expect a short term spike in PvP recipe and enhancement prices, but not a long term effect.  Because it's PvP.

4 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

On the Beta Shard, insta level 50 tokens already exist and there is no impact on its economy. 

The server with the slash command to auto-fill slots with enhancements?

Think about it.

• Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

4 hours ago, Excraft said:

Yeah because that's what every single person will do all the time.  And like everyone else in the game is so willing to let others carry them through TFs to unlock things like TF Commander that could be part of the badge requirement.  🙄

was that sarcasm?

4 hours ago, Excraft said:

Well you DO have to make friends. 

Definite barrier to entry for some.

Edited by arcane

11 minutes ago, Troo said:

was that sarcasm?

Yup.  Never underestimate the absolute stupidity of the totally ridiculous excuses people will come up with to crap on even discussing this idea.  Implying that everyone AFKs every bit of content 100% of the time is getting a bit stupid.  Next thing you'll hear is that people just sit around having someone teleport them to every exploration badge in the game and click the Null options to change their alignment too.  Unreal. 

35 minutes ago, arcane said:

PvP is in awful shape in this game. Let them have a singular cookie without getting too jealous. 🙂 

No jealousy. 😛

I had roughed this suggestion out a couple weeks ago. Others have touched on it over time as well. Folks have asked for a quick way to level up that doesn't involve PLing.

Rather than making something exclusive to PvP a reasonable option could have been tested for everyone.

Edited by Troo

4 hours ago, Nemu said:

Second brainstorm, why more people don't just make their home there is beyond me.

You don't want to grind to get maximum rewards - done, it even gives you all the accolades, imagine the grind to get all those!

You don't want to worry about the economy - done , you are so rich, or nothing holds value, that your net worth would make even yomo jelly.

You have a family and can't spend too much time in the game - 10 minutes gets you a fresh 50 IOed to the gills with T4 incarnates and you can even run AE farms for another 20 minutes after that.

I have characters that's sitting idle there for over a year and a half now so it's not like the shard is constantly being wiped.

Quoting for truth as I'm a recent convert. See the end product first, then decide if it's worth grind X to build it on the regular servers. No muss, no fuss, no hassle.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Excraft said:

Yup.  Never underestimate the absolute stupidity of the totally ridiculous excuses people will come up with to crap on even discussing this idea.  Implying that everyone AFKs every bit of content 100% of the time is getting a bit stupid.  Next thing you'll hear is that people just sit around having someone teleport them to every exploration badge in the game and click the Null options to change their alignment too.  Unreal. 

🤣🤣🤣  I actually did that for someone! I teleported out to each and every explore badge, then teleported her to them! 🤣🤣🤣

24 minutes ago, Rudra said:

🤣🤣🤣  I actually did that for someone! I teleported out to each and every explore badge, then teleported her to them! 🤣🤣🤣

This is an edge case.  Quite clear not everyone would go through the time and effort to do this.  And even if they do, let them for all I care.  It is their time to waste and if that is what brings them joy in playing, more power to them. 

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

Ok but is everyone going to do that?  Of course not and trying to paint it like everyone will is plain stupid.

3 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

This is an edge case.  Quite clear not everyone would go through the time and effort to do this.  And even if they do, let them for all I care.  It is their time to waste and if that is what brings them joy in playing, more power to them. 

Not saying it wasn't. I was just amused that I actually did that for someone.

1 hour ago, Excraft said:

Ok but is everyone going to do that?  Of course not and trying to paint it like everyone will is plain stupid.

I didn't say they were. I was just amused that I had actually done that for someone.

I'm not arguing for or against this idea. I just saw a comment about what would be considered a potentially extreme argument and found it funny that I had done that for someone.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2022 at 4:10 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

How about one token per level, and they don't apply ponce you hit 40, or maybe 35?

Thinking on it there could be additional versatility with tokens for a smaller range.

Lets a player get to 20 or 30 for their reasons

Could be one, five, ten, twenty or forty to use up to forty.

What had you thinking 35?

• Like 1

I hate CO, but there is a comparison. Before CoX came back and I was still playing CO, they did have a level up token. It took you up to level... I think 30? Not max level, but it skipped all the lower and some mid levels. And it didn't kill the game. However, it would have the same effect on CoX it had on CO. You wouldn't see anywhere near as many players in the lower level zones. So, Atlas Park would see new characters as they were made, and except for those of us willing to play through the zones, that would be it. King's Row would be empty. Talos Island would be empty. So forth.

I know that PL'ing already has that effect, and I can't say this would make it any worse such that even Pocket D's AE might be empty. It's just a consideration.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct "lay" to "play".
  • Thanks 1

Nope, I think 40 is still too high. I'd be more on board with a lvl 30 token. Just high enough to have most of your keystone powers and a nice handful of slots.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

I honestly am not against the idea. 

There are a lot of people that just want to play at level 50 and enjoy endgame content like ITF/maxed out builds they made from Mids, etc. at this point, I've become against the "you should work for it by grinding it in AE the way all of us have" rite of passage-esque posts. It's honestly dreadfully boring and quite painful to level a new 50 over again. At the end of the day, if you want to skip from level 30 to 50, have at it.

I think the system would be best based upon reward merits. Completing a specific number of in-game tasks that reward merits demonstrates consideration, as they are account bound and cannot be just "AE afk farm all 50s I want." 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1